Will I continue to get big happyfeelings if I continue use s

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
villkorkarma

Will I continue to get big happyfeelings if I continue use s

Post by villkorkarma »

nuff?
one suffer because one hasnt existed long : )
Mkoll

Re: Will I continue to get big happyfeelings if I continue u

Post by Mkoll »

"There are these five facts that one should reflect on often, whether one is a woman or a man, lay or ordained. Which five?

"'I am subject to aging, have not gone beyond aging.' This is the first fact that one should reflect on often, whether one is a woman or a man, lay or ordained.

"'I am subject to illness, have not gone beyond illness.' ...

"'I am subject to death, have not gone beyond death.' ...

"'I will grow different, separate from all that is dear and appealing to me.' ...

"'I am the owner of my actions, heir to my actions, born of my actions, related through my actions, and have my actions as my arbitrator. Whatever I do, for good or for evil, to that will I fall heir.' ...

"These are the five facts that one should reflect on often, whether one is a woman or a man, lay or ordained.

-AN 5.57
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

what do you mean?
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

Not only will you not continue to get big happy feelings but you will have to use more and more just to not feel miserable from nicotene withdrawal. Thats the nature of addiction.
And what is the OP doing in the general theravada section of a buddhist forum anyway?
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

so not you say okay thank you so much :namaste:
Last edited by villkorkarma on Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben

Post by Ben »

villkorkarma wrote:nuff?
Keep up with your medication.
Recreational drugs will do nothing but intensify your delusion and suffering.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

Do you got experience of that?
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

no need for experience

snuff is an outside thing that makes you happy the more you use it - the less affect it will have and you will need more and more -

the only true happiness - the one that lasts all the time is from the "path" from doing good and avoiding bad - and it will be a much stronger feeling of happiness that any substance can give you

snuff is just one way to "escape" dealing with reality - and this causes suffering and delusion - especially cause tobacco is addicting and addicting stuff cause lots of suffering even if you cant notice it at the moment

many members here have tried drugs and alcohol and said how bad it was for them - if they wouldnt have stopped they would never have advanced in the path - snuff is causing addiction - and any addiction causes lots of suffering
and would be preventing you from advancing

someone said it and he is trying to quit smoking also - he said it in another forum - you read it i believe :
anyhow, to the crux of the matter.
nicotine is a drug.
nicotine creates craving
nicotine alters mood.
nicotine is an intoxicant
therefore snuff tobacco is an intoxicant
and intoxicants is something you should stop using if you want to advance - you have to follow the 5 precepts - the 5 precepts are part of the basics -

why listen and stop using snuff ? it ruins your health - it an addiction - which makes you have lots of greed for it and feeling aversion (bad) when you dont have it , it was said in the buddhas teachings that its bad - it is said by members here who used drugs alcohol and smoking that its bad .... all the reasons in the world to stop using it - especially cause it slows your advancement in the path

this is a useful guide to stop using snuff - can get better than this - spesific guide for quitting snuff

i recommend you should stop - only recommend its your decision - i hope you will follow the guide above
Last edited by purple planet on Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

From my experience you progress even if you use snuff.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

villkorkarma wrote:what do you mean?
I mean that eventually what is held dear to you will be snatched away.

A lot of your posts are about snuff so it's clearly on your mind a lot. Why do you continue to post about snuff again and again?
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

S N Goenka says thats own experience is a thing.
Mkoll I have a lot thinking of snuff. anyway it feels like iam proceeding with using snuff and i Think in about 1.5 years i will feel good all the time.
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

S N Goenka never said we should "expirance" bad things - we shouldnt do bad deeds they will block our path - and all teachers agree on the 5 precepts - its the core teachings - and snuff is violating the core teaching
From my experience you progress even if you use snuff.

the buddha explained how to reach enlightenment and while there are some not so clear teachings - the basic most clear - teaching of the buddha are the 5 precepts - you cant advance if you break them - and snuff is breaking them

snuff only makes you think your happy but your not really - and every time you need to use more and more snuff to feel happy - until one day it will stop working - and in times when you cant use snuff you will feel bad - its not real happiness

snuff makes you escape from reality - not deal with it - which is how we advance in the path - its hard work to reach true - not temporarily (unlike snuff) happiness but its worth it

there are many other reasons to stop - i dont think i explain it good enough maybe others can explain why you cant advance when using snuff

http://www.counselingwashington.com/ard ... &SecID=131
Nicotine also activates areas of the brain that are involved in producing feelings of pleasure and reward. Recently, scientists discovered that nicotine raises the levels of a neurotransmitter called dopamine in the parts of the brain that produce feelings of pleasure and reward. Dopamine, which is sometimes called the pleasure molecule, is the same neurotransmitter that is involved in addictions to other drugs such as cocaine and heroin
basically its an addiction not different than drug addiction

i just wanted to say i read this link and it seems really good - thats all i have to say on this subject

so in short : i think snuff is bad and you should stop - and its hard to do and i wish you MUCH MUCH luck :twothumbsup: :group: :buddha1: :twothumbsup: and i think the link is a good guide http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/OralHealth/Top ... itting.htm and good luck again
Last edited by purple planet on Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

Mkoll wrote:
villkorkarma wrote:what do you mean?
I mean that eventually what is held dear to you will be snatched away.

A lot of your posts are about snuff so it's clearly on your mind a lot. Why do you continue to post about snuff again and again?
I dont feel so much that Everything will be snatched away, heaven is with those you love.
culaavuso

Post by culaavuso »

Enjoying snuff is a form of sensuality. Renunciation means not making your happiness dependent on external things like snuff. Right Resolve is one of the components of the eightfold path.

MN 117
MN 117: Maha-cattarisaka Sutta wrote: And what is wrong resolve? Being resolved on sensuality, on ill will, on harmfulness. This is wrong resolve.

"And what is right resolve? Right resolve, I tell you, is of two sorts: There is right resolve with effluents, siding with merit, resulting in acquisitions; there is right resolve that is noble, without effluents, transcendent, a factor of the path.

"And what is the right resolve with effluents, siding with merit, resulting in acquisitions? Resolve for renunciation, resolve for freedom from ill will, resolve for harmlessness. This is the right resolve with effluents, siding with merit, resulting in acquisitions.
andyebarnes67

Post by andyebarnes67 »

I think a few of the posts in answer to your question are taking a bit of an extreme view. Taking snuff isn't an escape from reality. It isn't strong enough for a start. The effects are less than smoking even and regular smokers only experience a slight change in mood with a cigarette.
HOWEVER> Yes, it is an addiction with health implications so it would be good if you were to stop.
As you grow in your practice, I think you will reach a point where your clarity and mindfulness is such that your sensitivity to any imbalance of the mind will be such that the use of snuff will have a much stronger effect on you than it perhaps does yet.
At that point, I think you will simply find that you no longer want to use snuff. You won't have to do anything. You won't have to create a new attachment to 'not taking snuff' to replace the old attachment of 'taking snuff'. your desire for it will simply fall away.
So, yes, stop using it as soon as you fel comfortable doing so, but if the time isn't right yet for that, accept that this too will change, so there will come a time...