On youtube, Atheism, Empirical Attitudes, and Buddhism

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
a mask with no face

On youtube, Atheism, Empirical Attitudes, and Buddhism

Post by a mask with no face »

The description of the video on youtube reads: "A discussion of Atheism, Empiricism, and one religion's claim to be scientific. Why do so many Buddhists argue that this religion is merely "a science of the mind", or "a rational philosophy not requiring faith", etc.? Given its history, what is the future of Buddhism?"

http://youtu.be/bjTr1hQ9_WY
tiltbillings

Re: On youtube, Atheism, Empirical Attitudes, and Buddhism

Post by tiltbillings »

So, who is this bald-headed guy and why should we care what he has to say?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

tiltbillings wrote:So, who is this bald-headed guy and why should we care what he has to say?
Well, here's his blog, where, if inclined, one can find more of the same.

http://a-bas-le-ciel.blogspot.co.uk/

I have to say that I find myself a bit underwhelmed. There is a lot of what passes for academic style and mannerisms, but precious little of substance. The main contention seems to be that there is in the West a willful disregard of some aspects of the Buddha's teachings because the supernaturalist and "non-rational" aspects are somehow inconvenient. I'm sure there are some people who feel this way; but then again, there are many others who don't, so I'm not sure what he is getting at.
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

I dont understand the need to justify buddhism on the altar of scientism.

I mean really, buddhism is subjective and science is empirical and objective. If you arent smart enough to figure out that there wont be much common ground there, unless you start making stuff up, what is your opinion worth anyway?
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig