breathing through your pores?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
pilgrim

Re: breathing through your pores?

Post by pilgrim »

greeneggsandsam wrote: I remember listening to this also... I'm very skeptical about some of these stories, especially this one. I would be curious to know how many people actually believe this story. Perhaps I'm a pessimist but I really wonder why something like this would never get attention by the media. Thoughts?
Only way to verify this is to get the hospital records but I doubt it is worth the bother. There is also no reason for the media to report it. Man comes into hospital unconscious. Doctors run tests, Man regains consciousness. Happens everyday.
greeneggsandsam

Post by greeneggsandsam »

Only way to verify this is to get the hospital records but I doubt it is worth the bother. There is also no reason for the media to report it. Man comes into hospital unconscious. Doctors run tests, Man regains consciousness. Happens everyday.
If this was the case I understand, however, it is a different story if the person is also not breathing.
If you think nibbana is better than samsara, then you've missed the point - Ajahn Sumedho
Kamran

Post by Kamran »

Its the power of perception!

You have the breath and you have your perception which you can play around with to get whatever results you want.

For example, when the breath becomes still, hold the thought in mind of "space", and the body will seem to be porous with air sensations coming in and out of it, hold the perception in the mind that there is an energy field surrounding your body and you may feel as if you are floating in a pleasant field of energy, etc...
bazzaman

Post by bazzaman »

fivebells wrote:Thanissaro has repeatedly claimed this too. It seems unlikely to me, but I think it's probably a useful perception for when the breath disappears, because it keeps people from worrying.

Not that I think they're lying, I think they really believe this claim. I just don't think they've considered the evidence very carefully.
Ven. Thanissaro also often repeats the discredited misconception about Singapore's guns facing the wrong way during the Japanese invasion. But, given that these are used as teaching aids to illustrate a point, the fact that they are not factually true doesn't bother me too much. I'll allow him a couple of blind-spots given the great amount of inspiration I have derived from his talks.
Atāṇo loko anabhissaro...

Yena yena hi maññanti tato taṃ hoti aññathā,
fivebells

Post by fivebells »

pilgrim wrote:
greeneggsandsam wrote:There is also no reason for the media to report it. Man comes into hospital unconscious. Doctors run tests, Man regains consciousness. Happens everyday.
Given that jhana is something you're supposed to master, so that you can enter and leave it at will, I think the media would eat this kind of thing up with a spoon. People in our midst with verifiable, repeatable respiration-halting superpowers? Come on! The story would write itself.
fivebells

Post by fivebells »

bazzaman wrote:Ven. Thanissaro also often repeats the discredited misconception about Singapore's guns facing the wrong way during the Japanese invasion.
Thanks, I didn't know that about the guns.