Does Insight Knowledge Arise Spontaneously in Vipassana

Discussion of Satipatthana bhavanā and Vipassana bhavana.
smokey
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Does Insight Knowledge Arise Spontaneously in Vipassana

Postby smokey » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:02 pm

Does knowledge gained with vipassana meditation arise spontaneously? It seems logical to me that it does, because it is not that knowledge that comes from concluding or thinking. I posed the question because I wanted to be sure. Thank you in advance for the answers.

Macavity

Re: Does Insight Knowledge Arise Spontaneously in Vipassana

Postby Macavity » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:21 pm

smokey wrote:Does knowledge gained with vipassana meditation arise spontaneously?

My dictionary defines spontaneous as "occurring without external cause or incitement". This doesn't seem to fit, for the arising of insight depends upon encountering the Buddha's teaching (among other things).

Another definition given is "involuntary, not due to conscious volition". In this sense insight might be called spontaneous, for it cannot arise at any time when one is trying to make it arise.

It seems logical to me that it does, because it is not that knowledge that comes from concluding or thinking.

Insight knowledge doesn't come from these alone, but nor will it arise if we haven't done any concluding or thinking. Developing vipassana depends upon our first having developed understanding at the level of hearing (sutamaya) and thinking (cintamaya).

Sanghamitta

Postby Sanghamitta » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:14 pm

I found your reply very useful Macavity.

:anjali:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.

rowyourboat
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1

Postby rowyourboat » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:06 pm

some like understanding nonself do 'pop up' suddenly. others are evident just on seeing patterns in phenomena- nama-rupa, cause and effect for example. Others are based on emotional reactions- like dukkha/unsatisfactoriness, fear, dissolution to what is going on. Others still require deeper 'drilling' into the subconsciousness- impermanence.
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

Return to “Insight Meditation”