Are thoughts outside the brain?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Ven Ajhan Braham in the following video says that the thought are outside the brain.
I think it is incorrect to say thoughts are outside the body.
:thinking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoUMLb8es4A
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
culaavuso

Re: Are thoughts outside the brain?

Post by culaavuso »

This seems to be a different way of asking the question discussed in the thread Location of the Mind.
SN 12.44: Loka Sutta wrote: manañca paṭicca dhamme ca uppajjati manoviññāṇaṃ. Tiṇṇaṃ saṅgati phasso.

Dependent on the intellect & mental qualities there arises intellect-consciousness. The meeting of the three is contact.
Last edited by culaavuso on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Dear Sarath,
I mean this with the greatest respect...
Does it matter?

Just practice sila, samadhi and panna.
Engage in generosity, study and selfless service.

Time is short, my friend.
With metta,
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Thanks Ben. :)

One of my friends passed away in the weekend. Her body was donated to the hospital for study of science.
I see and hear death all the time but it never sinks to my head!
It will never happen to me.
May be re birth is so much engrave to our existence.
We will never die.
:shrug:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

SarathW wrote:Are thoughts outside the brain?
Ven Ajhan Braham in the following video says that the thought are outside the brain.
I think it is incorrect to say thoughts are outside the body.
What Ajahn Brahm teaches is that the question "Where in the body is the mind located?" is a misguided materialist question, because it's the body that's inside the mind.

But I echo what Ben said: does it really matter? I think it's entirely irrelevant to our practice.
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

Thoughts are neither outside nor inside. They arise "where" they arise and then pass away. The ideas of "outside" and "inside" themselves are sort of thoughts. In the pure experiences that are manifesting (that is seen, heard, sensed, and cognized) you cannot find "inside", "outside", "far", "near" etc. except as cognized.
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

Thoughts trigger neurons in the brain to fire, but this doesn't necessarily mean that thoughts are entirely made up of neurons firing in the brain.....
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
chownah

Post by chownah »

SamKR wrote:
Thoughts are neither outside nor inside. They arise "where" they arise and then pass away. The ideas of "outside" and "inside" themselves are sort of thoughts. In the pure experiences that are manifesting (that is seen, heard, sensed, and cognized) you cannot find "inside", "outside", "far", "near" etc. except as cognized.
:goodpost:
Actually, great post.....definitely good is not good enough to describe this post.

If thoughts are inside the mind then if you turn the mind inside out are all the thoughts then on the outside?
chownah
PadmaPhala

Post by PadmaPhala »

the brain is a receptor of mind, but this is more a personal cognitive science theory than something supported by buddhadharma.