Why are most western Buddhists white?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Why are most western Buddhists white?

Postby convivium » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:02 pm

And why do white people co-opt irrelevant asian cultural elements in Buddhist communities?
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php
convivium

Re: Why are most western Buddhists white?

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:42 pm

In a word one of the biggest things preventing more African-Americans from joining Sanghas is: culture. Take a look at this African-American church service:

And compare that to the noble silence of sitting meditation, the very quiet and solemn practice we do in sitting meditation, walking meditation, retreats, even the way we eat our food!

However, socio-economic class also has a lot to do with it and as more African-Americans come out of poverty, there will be greater participation. I have met several African-American Buddhists, but admittedly most have been middle to upper-middle class.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:54 pm

convivium wrote:irrelevant asian cultural elements

What are the irrelevant asian cultural elements?
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby waterchan » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:22 am

convivium wrote:And why do white people co-opt irrelevant asian cultural elements in Buddhist communities?

Be careful with this. Some practices we see as being nothing more than Asian cultural customs can turn out to be valid outward forms of practice.

By the way, thanks for the video, David. I nearly spilled my drink laughing!
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
waterchan

Postby chownah » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:29 am

David N. Snyder wrote:
convivium wrote:irrelevant asian cultural elements

What are the irrelevant asian cultural elements?

David N. Snyder,
Indeed you have already innumerated many of them, "the noble silence of sitting meditation, the very quiet and solemn practice we do in sitting meditation, walking meditation, retreats, even the way we eat our food!"
chownah
chownah

Postby culaavuso » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:48 am

According to the article Is Western Buddhism White? most Western Buddhists are of Asian heritage.

Is Western Buddhism White? wrote:As I have made the point before, most Western Buddhists are of Asian heritage. We comprise the majority of Western Buddhism. If you’re talking about white Buddhists (and Lander writes about Americans in particular), then you certainly aren’t talking about most Western Buddhists.
culaavuso

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:07 am

chownah wrote:Indeed you have already innumerated many of them, "the noble silence of sitting meditation, the very quiet and solemn practice we do in sitting meditation, walking meditation, retreats, even the way we eat our food!"

How is noble silence and mindfully eating "irrelevant" [to Buddhist practice] ?
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:09 am

culaavuso wrote:According to the article Is Western Buddhism White? most Western Buddhists are of Asian heritage.

Yes, exactly, which is one of the reasons I'm not a fan of the Western Buddhism term.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:10 am

culaavuso wrote:According to the article Is Western Buddhism White? most Western Buddhists are of Asian heritage.

Is Western Buddhism White? wrote:As I have made the point before, most Western Buddhists are of Asian heritage. We comprise the majority of Western Buddhism. If you’re talking about white Buddhists (and Lander writes about Americans in particular), then you certainly aren’t talking about most Western Buddhists.

I agree. The vast majority of western Buddhists, are, in fact, Asian.
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby chownah » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:44 am

David N. Snyder wrote:
chownah wrote:Indeed you have already innumerated many of them, "the noble silence of sitting meditation, the very quiet and solemn practice we do in sitting meditation, walking meditation, retreats, even the way we eat our food!"

A better question is what makes them relevant.
chownah
chownah

Postby pilgrim » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:48 am

chownah wrote:
David N. Snyder wrote:

A better question is what makes them relevant.
chownah

My guess would be "The Buddha's instructions". Now, pls :focus:
pilgrim

Postby Goofaholix » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:49 am

Ben wrote:I agree. The vast majority of western Buddhists, are, in fact, Asian.

This is true.

Perhaps a better question would be "Why are most western Buddhist meditators white?"
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:53 am

pilgrim wrote:My guess would be "The Buddha's instructions". Now, pls :focus:

Yes, the Buddha's instruction (and this is on-topic, see the OP).

See: http://www.buddhisma2z.com/content.php?id=379
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby pilgrim » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:55 am

OK, why do western sangha call their white teachers by the Thai word Ajahn? Why not use the original Pali Acariya?
pilgrim

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:01 am

pilgrim wrote:OK, why do western sangha call their white teachers by the Thai word Ajahn? Why not use the original Pali Acariya?

Okay, that's probably fair enough. That could be considered an irrelevant Asian custom carried over if the participants are all non-Asian in the U.S. for example. They could be called 'teacher' or 'bhante' or 'acariya' but I imagine those monks were ordained in a Thai tradition and it is simply used out of respect for the tradition they hail from.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby waterchan » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:11 am

pilgrim wrote:OK, why do western sangha call their white teachers by the Thai word Ajahn? Why not use the original Pali Acariya?

Maybe because those white teachers were ordained in the Thai tradition? White monks ordained in the Burmese tradition may be called "Ashin", for example Ashin Ottama. Although that isn't always so, for example in the case of Bhikkhu Pesala.

Then there are monks like Venerable Amarantho who is technically a samanera and has been for over ten years. But he prefers being called by his monastic name, Amarantho, without any prefixes or suffixes.

Ajahn Sujato once said that sometimes his fellow Australians call him "mate". :D

If you're not sure how to address a monk, "Venerable" seems a pretty safe choice.
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
waterchan

Postby Spiny Norman » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:12 am

That hasn't been my experience in the UK, Ben. Buddhism here seems to be predominantly a white, middle-class interest.
Mrs. Bun: Have you got anything without spam in it?
Waitress: Well, there's spam, egg, sausage and spam. That's not got MUCH spam in it.
Spiny Norman

Postby Ben » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:37 am

Hi Spiny,

Spiny Norman wrote:

That hasn't been my experience in the UK, Ben. Buddhism here seems to be predominantly a white, middle-class interest.

Do you think that is because it is just the Buddhism that you have been exposed to is mainly a white, middle-class interest? My comment above is that the vast majority of western Buddhists are in fact Asian - and living in Asia.
Kind regards,
Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Spiny Norman » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:58 am

Ben wrote:Do you think that is because it is just the Buddhism that you have been exposed to is mainly a white, middle-class interest? My comment above is that the vast majority of western Buddhists are in fact Asian - and living in Asia.
Kind regards,
Ben

I assumed we were talking about Buddhists in western countries like Europe and North America. I can only really speak about the UK from first-hand experience.
Mrs. Bun: Have you got anything without spam in it?
Waitress: Well, there's spam, egg, sausage and spam. That's not got MUCH spam in it.
Spiny Norman

Postby Kare » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:36 am

convivium wrote:And why do white people co-opt irrelevant asian cultural elements in Buddhist communities?

Why do you find the color of the skin so interesting? Are you a racist?
Mettāya,
Kåre
Kare

Next

Return to Lounge