Youtube videos violate precepts?

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Strive4Karuna

Youtube videos violate precepts?

Post by Strive4Karuna »

Most videos are posted by people who use footage that aren't their own, does this violate the stealing precept to watch it?
Cittasanto

Re: Youtube videos violate precepts?

Post by Cittasanto »

I think most of the videos on youtube fall under fair use laws, so no.
But I have seen full films on there in searches so some caution is needed.

can you give an example of the type of video you are thinking of?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Ben

Post by Ben »

It's not clear whether you are seeking clarification on whether posting videos or watching videos is a breach of the precept not to take that which is not freely given.
I think for viewing, it is a little murky. One can be forgiven for assuming that material on YouTube is free from encumbrance and complies with youtube's copyright conditions.
With posting videos on YouTube, I think it's harder to wriggle out of unknowingly posting material that is not ones own, let alone covered by copyright.
Kind regards,
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Strive4Karuna

Post by Strive4Karuna »

Cittasanto wrote:I think most of the videos on youtube fall under fair use laws, so no.
But I have seen full films on there in searches so some caution is needed.

can you give an example of the type of video you are thinking of?
It was a music video.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Strive4Karuna wrote:Most videos are posted by people who use footage that aren't their own, does this violate the stealing precept to watch it?
If the footage was not owned by the person who uploaded it and the owners had not given given their permission for it to be uploaded, then the person who uploaded it has broken the precept against taking what is not freely given.
The position of anyone viewing it is not so clear. As Ben said, we should normally be able to assume that material shared online is shared by (or with the consent of) the owner, and that would be fine. If we view or use anything without knowing it to be stolen, there was no intention to steal and IMO we haven't broken the precept. On the other hand, we do have some obligation to make sure that what is given to us is not stolen, whether it's a Youtube video or a gold watch.

:namaste:
Kim
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

I'm not sure if we should be looking for external rulings on the precepts - If you feel watching certain youtube videos is inappropriate or of dubious legality and are not at ease with watching them don't watch them.