dreams?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
yawares

Re: dreams?

Post by yawares »

Dear alan,

Please let me tell you a funny conversation between 2 friends. After Tep(my husband) posted "Daily Dhamma about Nutriment [Aahaara]"..that night he had a strange dream..the next day he told me and then his friend (SD Group online)......

Funny conversation!

Tep : Oh, I have a real story to tell you. Last night I had a very vivid dream, just like a 'nimitta' in samatha meditation. In the (early morning) dream I opened my refrigerator door, hoping to find something to eat, but I was startled, really shocked to see the space inside filled with huge lizards of bright, colorful-but-very-ugly loathsome skin ! The sight made me feel like throwing up. I never had a dream like that before in my life.

Dieter : One interpretation I have read in a psychological article referred to some urge arising during (REM ) sleep which is dealt symbolically with a trick to avoid awakening ( in your case the fridge and the sight to spoil your appetite).

Tep : Your linking of the fridge and the lizards with "spoiling appetite" is pretty good! Your idea falls along the same line with Yawares's interpretation of this dream. She said it was the trick my mind played to stop my frequent going to the fridge!

NOTE:But Tep/I stop eating completely after lunch...Uposatha day or not..we promise each other we'll never be fat!!

Here is the article that Tep posted :

Daily Dhamma(116): Nutriment [Aahaara]; Ekadhammaa

In the Comprehensive Manual of Abhidhamma, p. 318, nutriment condition ('aahaara-paccayo') is explained: "Nutriment condition is a condition where the conditioning state relates to the conditioned states by producing them, maintaining them in existence, and supporting their growth and development. This is compared to a prop which supports an old house and prevents it from collapsing. Thus the essential function of nutriment is supporting or reinforcing (upatthambana). The nutriment is twofold: edible food is a condition for this body; and immaterial nutriment, for the conascent mind-and-matter."

Importantly, the sutta Samyutta Nikaaya 12.11 states that craving is the cause (nidaanaa, samudayaa) for the four nutriments [1. edible food; 2. sense-impression; 3. volitional thought; 4. consciousness.] : "These four nutriments, O monks, have craving as their cause, have craving as their origin, are born of craving, and craving gives them existence."
--------
References:

1) "Monks, when a monk becomes entirely dispassionate [sammaa nibbindamaano] towards one thing [ekadhammaa], when his lust for it entirely fades away [sammaa virajjamaano], when he is entirely liberated from it [sammaa vimuccamaano], when he sees the complete ending of it [sammaa pariyantadassaavii], then he is one who, after fully comprehending the Goal, makes an end of suffering here and now.

"What one thing? 'All beings subsist by nutriment.' [katamasmi.m eka dhamme: 'sabbe sattaa aahaara.t.thitikaa'] When a monk becomes entirely dispassionate towards this one thing, when his lust for it entirely fades away, when he is entirely liberated from it, and when he sees the complete ending of it, then, O monks, he is one who, after fully comprehending the Goal, makes an end of suffering here and now. [ AN 10.27: (Dutiya) Mahapanha Sutta]
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .nypo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://metta.lk/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pitaka/ ... ggo-e.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2) "There are, O monks, four nutriments for the sustenance of beings born, and for the support of beings seeking birth. What are the four? Edible food, coarse and fine; secondly, sense-impression; thirdly, volitional thought; fourthly, consciousness. [Katame cattaaro? Kabalinkaaro aahaaro o.laariko vaa sukhumo vaa, phasso dutiyo, manosa~ncetanaa tatiyaa, vi~n~naa.na.m catuttha.m.]
"These four nutriments, O monks, have craving as their cause, have craving as their origin, are born of craving, and craving gives them existence.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .nypo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
------

Vocabulary:

aahaara : food; nutriment.
aahaara.t.thitikaa : subsisting on food.
eka : one
sabba : all; every; whole; entire.
sammaa : properly; rightly; thoroughly.
satta : a creature; living being.
'sabbe sattaa aahaara.t.thitikaa' : 'All beings subsist by nutriment.'

yawares
alan...

Post by alan... »

yawares wrote:Dear alan,

Please let me tell you a funny conversation between 2 friends. After Tep(my husband) posted "Daily Dhamma about Nutriment [Aahaara]"..that night he had a strange dream..the next day he told me and then his friend (SD Group online)......

Funny conversation!

Tep : Oh, I have a real story to tell you. Last night I had a very vivid dream, just like a 'nimitta' in samatha meditation. In the (early morning) dream I opened my refrigerator door, hoping to find something to eat, but I was startled, really shocked to see the space inside filled with huge lizards of bright, colorful-but-very-ugly loathsome skin ! The sight made me feel like throwing up. I never had a dream like that before in my life.

Dieter : One interpretation I have read in a psychological article referred to some urge arising during (REM ) sleep which is dealt symbolically with a trick to avoid awakening ( in your case the fridge and the sight to spoil your appetite).

Tep : Your linking of the fridge and the lizards with "spoiling appetite" is pretty good! Your idea falls along the same line with Yawares's interpretation of this dream. She said it was the trick my mind played to stop my frequent going to the fridge!

NOTE:But Tep/I stop eating completely after lunch...Uposatha day or not..we promise each other we'll never be fat!!

Here is the article that Tep posted :

Daily Dhamma(116): Nutriment [Aahaara]; Ekadhammaa

In the Comprehensive Manual of Abhidhamma, p. 318, nutriment condition ('aahaara-paccayo') is explained: "Nutriment condition is a condition where the conditioning state relates to the conditioned states by producing them, maintaining them in existence, and supporting their growth and development. This is compared to a prop which supports an old house and prevents it from collapsing. Thus the essential function of nutriment is supporting or reinforcing (upatthambana). The nutriment is twofold: edible food is a condition for this body; and immaterial nutriment, for the conascent mind-and-matter."

Importantly, the sutta Samyutta Nikaaya 12.11 states that craving is the cause (nidaanaa, samudayaa) for the four nutriments [1. edible food; 2. sense-impression; 3. volitional thought; 4. consciousness.] : "These four nutriments, O monks, have craving as their cause, have craving as their origin, are born of craving, and craving gives them existence."
--------
References:

1) "Monks, when a monk becomes entirely dispassionate [sammaa nibbindamaano] towards one thing [ekadhammaa], when his lust for it entirely fades away [sammaa virajjamaano], when he is entirely liberated from it [sammaa vimuccamaano], when he sees the complete ending of it [sammaa pariyantadassaavii], then he is one who, after fully comprehending the Goal, makes an end of suffering here and now.

"What one thing? 'All beings subsist by nutriment.' [katamasmi.m eka dhamme: 'sabbe sattaa aahaara.t.thitikaa'] When a monk becomes entirely dispassionate towards this one thing, when his lust for it entirely fades away, when he is entirely liberated from it, and when he sees the complete ending of it, then, O monks, he is one who, after fully comprehending the Goal, makes an end of suffering here and now. [ AN 10.27: (Dutiya) Mahapanha Sutta]
http://metta.lk/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pitaka/ ... ggo-e.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2) "There are, O monks, four nutriments for the sustenance of beings born, and for the support of beings seeking birth. What are the four? Edible food, coarse and fine; secondly, sense-impression; thirdly, volitional thought; fourthly, consciousness. [Katame cattaaro? Kabalinkaaro aahaaro o.laariko vaa sukhumo vaa, phasso dutiyo, manosa~ncetanaa tatiyaa, vi~n~naa.na.m catuttha.m.]
"These four nutriments, O monks, have craving as their cause, have craving as their origin, are born of craving, and craving gives them existence.
------

Vocabulary:

aahaara : food; nutriment.
aahaara.t.thitikaa : subsisting on food.
eka : one
sabba : all; every; whole; entire.
sammaa : properly; rightly; thoroughly.
satta : a creature; living being.
'sabbe sattaa aahaara.t.thitikaa' : 'All beings subsist by nutriment.'

yawares

thanks for sharing!
Sokehi

Post by Sokehi »

If this is everything about dreams that a Theravada Perspective offers I'm quite astonished :tongue:

So to restart this thread, what is the Buddhas view on dreams? One could think there should be lots and lots of discourses about dreams, since they are psychologically extremely interesting.
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

There are a few references here in this article:

http://www.buddhisma2z.com/content.php?id=116
Sokehi

Post by Sokehi »

David N. Snyder wrote:There are a few references here in this article:

http://www.buddhisma2z.com/content.php?id=116
This is exactly what I was looking for! Anumodana David :anjali:
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr