YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Shouldn't lay Buddhists be very successful ? - Page 3 - Dhamma Wheel

Shouldn't lay Buddhists be very successful ?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Chi

Re: Shouldn't lay Buddhists be very successful ?

Postby Chi » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:24 am

A few questions and thoughts arise in the mind when reading this thread. A few may already have been raised, directly or indirectly, but I'll list what comes to mind.

What is the criteria for an "advanced Buddhist?" Meditative attainments? Meditation experience? Theoretical knowledge?
What makes one believe these lead one to worldly success?
Is spiritual maturity in terms of contentment, humility, gratitude, peacefulness, etc. not considered "success" in OP's mind?
What makes one think an "advanced Buddhist" wants to be more successful?
What makes one think Buddhists are inherently more mindful or better workers than non-Buddhists?

The spiritual path may not be linear for some. Many worldly desires and goals fall away. The thinking, planning mind may become less filled with thoughts of any type of success. Meditation practitioners might actually become less skillful in their work life at certain times. They might work less than more. They might become lazier when performing work-related tasks. They might actually take steps to be less "successful" in the worldly sense so they can focus on solitude and simplicity. Just something to consider.

Peace,
Chi
Do Good, Avoid Evil, Purify the Mind.

lyndon taylor

Postby lyndon taylor » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:36 am

Good post, Chi, you sort of sum up how I see it too.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:13 am

Chi

Postby Chi » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:57 am

Do Good, Avoid Evil, Purify the Mind.

binocular

Postby binocular » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:53 am

lyndon taylor

Postby lyndon taylor » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:28 am

The dhamma is a prescription for spiritual success, not worldly success, I don't think you can really have it both ways, some people don't seem to be aware of just how much of a jerk you usually need to be to succeed materially in this world.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

purple planet

Postby purple planet » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:44 am

Please send merit to my dog named Mika who has passed away - thanks in advance

Kusala

Postby Kusala » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:14 pm

"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "

lyndon taylor

Postby lyndon taylor » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:13 pm

If Steve Jobs is a good example of a Buddhist, we should be looking elsewhere for enlightenment......

Return to “Lounge”