Apologies - I'm asking a second question for the day: Does anybody understand the correspondence between the 12 links of dependent origination (DO) and the 17 cittas of one sense-process (SP)? This is how I see it:
1. Ignorance (avijja) in DO is the ignorance that leads us to create volitions during javana cittas
2. Formations (sankhara) in DO corresponds to the volition cetasika of a javana kammic citta in SP.
3. Consciousness (viññana) in DO corresponds to the resultant (vipaka) sense-consciousness citta of a later SP (either in this life or in a subsequent one)
4. Nama-Rupa in DO is the experience that results from the arising of the sense consciousness in SP
5. 6 Sense-Bases = ?
6. Contact in DO is the contact cetasika of the sense-consciousness in SP
7. Feeling is the feeling cetasika of the sense-consciousness in SP
8. Craving & 9. Clinging are the 7 javana kammic cittas and their volition cetasikas that follow the sense-consciousness in SP and that generate new kamma
10. Becoming is the new kamma that leads to suffering (11, 12) but also conditions a new Consciousness (3) for a new cycle of kammic ripening followed by generation of kamma.
Is this correct?
"I do not perceive even one other thing, o monks, that when developed and cultivated entails such great happiness as the mind" (AN 1.10, transl. Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi)
"So this spiritual life, monks, does not have gain, honor, and renown for its benefit, or the attainment of moral discipline for its benefit, or the attainment of concentration for its benefit, or knowledge and vision for its benefit. But it is this unshakable liberation of mind that is the goal of this spiritual life, its heartwood, and its end," (MN 29, transl. Ven Bhikkhu Bodhi)