Dependent origination and sense-process correspondence

Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

Dependent origination and sense-process correspondence

Postby Sati1 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:29 pm

Hello,

Apologies - I'm asking a second question for the day: Does anybody understand the correspondence between the 12 links of dependent origination (DO) and the 17 cittas of one sense-process (SP)? This is how I see it:

1. Ignorance (avijja) in DO is the ignorance that leads us to create volitions during javana cittas
2. Formations (sankhara) in DO corresponds to the volition cetasika of a javana kammic citta in SP.
3. Consciousness (viññana) in DO corresponds to the resultant (vipaka) sense-consciousness citta of a later SP (either in this life or in a subsequent one)
4. Nama-Rupa in DO is the experience that results from the arising of the sense consciousness in SP
5. 6 Sense-Bases = ?
6. Contact in DO is the contact cetasika of the sense-consciousness in SP
7. Feeling is the feeling cetasika of the sense-consciousness in SP
8. Craving & 9. Clinging are the 7 javana kammic cittas and their volition cetasikas that follow the sense-consciousness in SP and that generate new kamma
10. Becoming is the new kamma that leads to suffering (11, 12) but also conditions a new Consciousness (3) for a new cycle of kammic ripening followed by generation of kamma.

Is this correct?

Thank you,
Sati1
London, UK

----
"I do not perceive even one other thing, o monks, that when developed and cultivated entails such great happiness as the mind" (AN 1.10, transl. Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi)
"So this spiritual life, monks, does not have gain, honor, and renown for its benefit, or the attainment of moral discipline for its benefit, or the attainment of concentration for its benefit, or knowledge and vision for its benefit. But it is this unshakable liberation of mind that is the goal of this spiritual life, its heartwood, and its end," (MN 29, transl. Ven Bhikkhu Bodhi)
Sati1

Re: Dependent origination and sense-process correspondence

Postby anatta1 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:51 pm

Please do remember and seek Nama and Rupa as anatta which need to understand as simple as zero.
non of them is exist....but all of SinKhara Dhamma arise and gone away itself whist you noticed that.

means it's only left of Knowing and Not knowing moments.

Sorry for my poor English.

nobleanatta@gmail.com
with metta
Welcome any questions and discussions for Abidhamma
nobleanatta@gmail.com
Sayargyi U Kyin Shwe's Vipassana Seeker
Burma (Myanmar)
anatta1

Re: Dependent origination and sense-process correspondence

Postby Sati1 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:08 am

Dear Anatta,

Thank you for your response. I agree - each of these processes is nonself and must be regarded as such.

Best,
Sati1
London, UK

----
"I do not perceive even one other thing, o monks, that when developed and cultivated entails such great happiness as the mind" (AN 1.10, transl. Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi)
"So this spiritual life, monks, does not have gain, honor, and renown for its benefit, or the attainment of moral discipline for its benefit, or the attainment of concentration for its benefit, or knowledge and vision for its benefit. But it is this unshakable liberation of mind that is the goal of this spiritual life, its heartwood, and its end," (MN 29, transl. Ven Bhikkhu Bodhi)
Sati1

Return to Abhidhamma