Best meditation technique to fall asleep fast?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
purple planet

Best meditation technique to fall asleep fast?

Post by purple planet »

What is the best meditation technique to fall asleep fast ?
appicchato

Re: Best meditation technique to fall asleep fast?

Post by appicchato »

A very misdirected line of thought here...it's not what meditation is even remotely about...
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

I know - i just need to fall asleep faster

I was told that if you do vipasana you would fall asleep as much as needed - but sometimes i need to sleep good now for a later no-sleep period - all for worldly purposes

for instance i was told that if i notice the rising and falling i would fall much faster than if i do a "body scan"

and for instance sometimes it seems i fall asleep much faster just lying down moving and thinking - in comparison to lying down and being mindful of stuff because that way i can stay awake much longer

so instead of just lying there would be nice to do some meditation - the one which will help me fall asleep the fastest - maybe samtha ? metta (but i think metta helps sleep faster in general not specifly faster if done before sleep?) ? counting breaths ? ect
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

There's nothing wrong with this train of thought: even meditators need to get some sleep so that they can wake up refreshed and ready for the next day's work.

If you're suffering from insomnia due to thinking too much, focus awareness on the body. Sweep the entire body from head to foot, noting all of the sensations of touching, and contemplating the abdominal movements of rising and falling, or the touch of the breath at the nostrils if mindfulness of respiration is your usual practice.

Don't keep changing your body posture, and don't worry too much about not sleeping. If you rest the body and mind thoroughly with Satipaṭṭhāna meditation, that is all the rest it needs.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

bhante i was told that if i add touching points to the "rising" and "falling" it will keep me awake - you dont think its true ?
Zom

Post by Zom »

That's easy. Just forget everything and sleep as much as you want 8-) :D
Anagarika

Post by Anagarika »

When I have difficulty falling asleep, such as when a busy day keeps my mind swimming at night, I have literally parked my laptop next to my sleeping pad, and put on a youtube dhamma talk. Tis seems to place my mind in a place, where, after enjoying the first minutes of a dhamma talk, my next memory is of waking up. Kind of like reading a good book at night, but reading at night just never did it for me. The mindful audio did. Give it a try, and see if it works for you if you're not getting enough sleep or have insomnia.
Jetavan

Post by Jetavan »

Just read the latest issue of the Journal of Transport Economics and Policy. You'll be asleep in seconds.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Zom wrote:That's easy. Just forget everything...
Too right...
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

purple planet wrote:What is the best meditation technique to fall asleep fast ?
Reading the Digha Nikaya.
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

purple planet wrote:bhante i was told that if i add touching points to the "rising" and "falling" it will keep me awake - you dont think its true ?
Never mind what others tell you. Everyone is different. Try different techniques yourself and see what works for you. Metta works for some.

Sweeping slowly, noting a few points, or many, or focussing more on abdominal movements. Whatever works is fine. Excess of energy leads to restlessness, excess of concentration leads to sloth. It's all about getting the energies back into balanced by applying mindfulness. If you spend the entire night noting mindfully without a break, as long as the restless thoughts cease and you're not just tossing and turning all night, you will be rested in the morning.

After noting for a long while, if the pain of staying in one posture becomes unbearable, then mindfully turn over to the other side. Do it slowly, so that you don't lose mindfulness, then resume sweeping as before.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

I have had some luck with the method of counting ones exhales starting from 99 and going backward.

OTOH there is always the "running around the block a few times" meditation. Best done about 2 hours before your target bedtime :)
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
Ben

Post by Ben »

It's important to not forget lifestyle factors which impacts on the quality of sleep.
A few minor changes to one's habits can have a profound impact.
http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv ... ep_hygiene
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

As bhante said, everyone is different. But what works for me very well is to focus very gently on the sensation of the body against the bed. Sends me off in less than a minute.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

waterchan wrote:
purple planet wrote:What is the best meditation technique to fall asleep fast ?
Reading the Digha Nikaya.
:jumping:
Buddha save me from new-agers!