Developing the 7 factors of enlightenment

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Spiny Norman

Developing the 7 factors of enlightenment

Post by Spiny Norman »

I would like to explore approaches to developing the 7 factors of enlightenment.

I think the first 3 factors are self-evident, but how are the other 4 factors to be developed? Is it by developing jhana, or are there other methods?

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .piya.html
Buddha save me from new-agers!
daverupa

Re: Developing the 7 factors of enlightenment

Post by daverupa »

SN 46.53 wrote:"Now, on any occasion when the mind is sluggish, that is the right time to develop analysis of qualities as a factor for awakening, persistence as a factor for awakening, rapture as a factor for awakening. Why is that? The sluggish mind is easy to raise up by those mental qualities.

..."Now, on occasions when the mind is restless, that is the right time to develop calm as a factor for awakening, concentration as a factor for awakening, equanimity as a factor for awakening. Why is that? The restless mind is easy to still with those mental qualities.
---

Jhana is essential, as I understand things.

I tend to think that satipatthana, as the awakening factor that's always useful, means that anapanasati is also always useful - not while driving or anything, but as a seated meditation method for all occasions.

There are definitely ways to balance the awakening factors against the theme of one's own mind as one engages with the Samadhi aspects of the Path over time. So, what does it look like to 'do' satipatthana/anapanasati with one or another emphasis, as in the sutta above, in one's own case? That might be a useful question to pursue.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

There's a booklet by Ajahn Thirodhammo called "Contemplations on the Seven Factors of Awakening".

Excerpt from the introduction:
"My intention is to give some basic information about the Factors based upon the teachings in the Pali Canon, the scriptures of the Theravada school of Buddhism,to readers ranging from complete beginners to experienced meditators, including guidance on how to develop these important spiritual qualities. Thus this is a series of meditative contemplations to help support a direct experience of the Factors.
I have therefore tended to emphasize certain aspects of particular Factors, for example, acknowledging natural energy rather than only willpower,making Awakening more accessible rather than explaining the ‘higher stages’, etc. I have included a suggested meditation at the beginning of each chapter to encourage a meditative enquiry."

https://tisarana.ca/download/books/pdf/ ... dhammo.pdf
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Vism IV.51 (starting on page 126) has info. on how and when to develop the factors..
SDC

Post by SDC »

Excellent talk. Only 9:31 in length.

Seven Factors of Enlightenment
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
culaavuso

Post by culaavuso »

Spiny Norman wrote: I think the first 3 factors are self-evident, but how are the other 4 factors to be developed? Is it by developing jhana, or are there other methods?
The last four factors are described as "associated with jhāna" in Wings to Awakening by Ven. Thanissaro Bhikkhu:
[url=http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/wings/part2.html#part2-g]Wings to Awakening (II G)[/url] by Ven. Thanissaro Bhikkhu wrote: This point is reflected in the position of mindfulness — defined as the practice of any one of the four frames of reference — as the first factor in the list. Discernment, in the role of the analysis of mental qualities into skillful and unskillful, builds on right mindfulness and leads to persistence, which in the form of right effort/exertion maximizes the skillful qualities and minimizes the unskillful ones. This in turn leads to four factors associated with jhāna: rapture, serenity, concentration, and equanimity. Equanimity, here, is not a neutral feeling, but rather a balancing or moderation — an evenness of mind — with regard to any feeling or object that arises. It is identical with the equanimity in the fourth jhāna [§149] and with the inherent equanimity in the fifth factor of five-factored noble concentration [§150], which can develop out of any of the four jhanas.
fivebells

Post by fivebells »

The Food Sutta has a lot of fairly specific information about developing the factors of awakening and abandoning the hindrances.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

fivebells wrote:The Food Sutta has a lot of fairly specific information about developing the factors of awakening and abandoning the hindrances.
This is a very nice sutta. Paying close attention to these various general guidelines is a key aspect of developing the proper method in one's own case. We might want to quickly discuss 'appropriate attention' since it occurs a lot in that sutta.

I think yoniso manasikara can be well understood by looking at the roots for the term 'yoniso'; Pali experts can chime in here, but I think the sense is something about origins or sources. In short, I think 'appropriate' means examination in terms of conditionality; and giving attention to the conditions for the awakening factors in one's own case is part of the skill of bhavana.

:heart:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

santa100 wrote:Vism IV.51 (starting on page 126) has info. on how and when to develop the factors..
Thanks - there seems like a lot of detail in there!
Last edited by Spiny Norman on Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Aloka wrote:.

There's a booklet by Ajahn Thirodhammo called "Contemplations on the Seven Factors of Awakening".

Thanks, I read that some time ago - I've been meaning to read it again.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

culaavuso wrote: The last four factors are described as "associated with jhāna" in Wings to Awakening by Ven. Thanissaro Bhikkhu:
[url=http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/wings/part2.html#part2-g]Wings to Awakening (II G)[/url] by Ven. Thanissaro Bhikkhu wrote: This point is reflected in the position of mindfulness — defined as the practice of any one of the four frames of reference — as the first factor in the list. Discernment, in the role of the analysis of mental qualities into skillful and unskillful, builds on right mindfulness and leads to persistence, which in the form of right effort/exertion maximizes the skillful qualities and minimizes the unskillful ones. This in turn leads to four factors associated with jhāna: rapture, serenity, concentration, and equanimity. Equanimity, here, is not a neutral feeling, but rather a balancing or moderation — an evenness of mind — with regard to any feeling or object that arises. It is identical with the equanimity in the fourth jhāna [§149] and with the inherent equanimity in the fifth factor of five-factored noble concentration [§150], which can develop out of any of the four jhanas.
Yes, interesting. Though here he seems to considering the second factor more in terms of Right Effort than in terms of developing insight?
culaavuso

Post by culaavuso »

Spiny Norman wrote: Yes, interesting. Though here he seems to considering the second factor more in terms of Right Effort than in terms of developing insight?
The mention of Right Effort seems to be the explanation of the third factor, energy or viriya. The second factor seems to be investigation defined in terms of discernment and appropriate attention on distinguishing skillful from unskillful.

The description is reminiscent of a quote from MN 19
MN 19: Dvedhavitakka Sutta wrote: Monks, before my self-awakening, when I was still just an unawakened Bodhisatta, the thought occurred to me: 'Why don't I keep dividing my thinking into two sorts?'
In the same way I foresaw in unskillful qualities drawbacks, degradation, & defilement, and I foresaw in skillful qualities rewards related to renunciation & promoting cleansing.
Zom

Post by Zom »

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

culaavuso wrote: The mention of Right Effort seems to be the explanation of the third factor, energy or viriya. The second factor seems to be investigation defined in terms of discernment and appropriate attention on distinguishing skillful from unskillful.
Discernment yes, though I assumed the second factor dhamma vicaya is more about developing insight eg via the 3 characteristics? Distinguishing skillful from unskillful seems more like an aspect of ( prerequisite for? ) Right Effort.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

daverupa wrote: Jhana is essential, as I understand things.

I tend to think that satipatthana, as the awakening factor that's always useful, means that anapanasati is also always useful - not while driving or anything, but as a seated meditation method for all occasions.
It struck me that one way of looking at the function of the 7 factors is in terms of developing vipassana ( via the first 2 factors ) and developing jhana ( the last 3 factors ). And in terms of the 8-fold path this could be seen as parallel to Right Mindfulness and Right Concentration.