My First Buddha - Soft and Cuddly

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
plwk

Re: My First Buddha - Soft and Cuddly

Post by plwk »

What bizarre idea next I wonder, perhaps a cuddly Jesus and a companion plump god with detachable cloud ?

:rolleye:
Seek and ye shall find
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I think the pros outweigh the cons here.I am not so sure about the tee-shirts, or other items, but this will create happy associations in the minds of young Buddhists. Later, they can understand better about reverence, and the profound wisdom of the Buddha.
tiltbillings wrote:This juvenile senior agrees with the esteemed bhikkhu on this.
I am obliged to concur.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

plwk wrote:
What bizarre idea next I wonder, perhaps a cuddly Jesus and a companion plump god with detachable cloud ?

:rolleye:
Seek and ye shall find
There is a big difference between the joke Jesus doll and the Buddha doll that is being used to raise money for compassionate reasons. I think the comment pointing to the positives are to the point, but as I said, opinion on this are going to vary.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

I'd purchase one, but I still remember how offended the "real" Buddhists were when I had my coffee mug with a wheel and a Buddha quote.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Monkey Mind wrote:I'd purchase one, but I still remember how offended the "real" Buddhists were when I had my coffee mug with a wheel and a Buddha quote.
Best, then, not to be a '"real" Buddhist.'
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

Monkey Mind wrote:I'd purchase one, but I still remember how offended the "real" Buddhists were when I had my coffee mug with a wheel and a Buddha quote.
I wouldn't worry about the so-called "real" Buddhists. My wife is traditional classical Theravadin born and raised, and she thinks it's a great idea.

Aaaaaaand my plushie sacrilege is on its way!
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

Did you go for the Tibetan gold or the Thai white?
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

Monkey Mind wrote:Did you go for the Tibetan gold or the Thai white?
15 cm Thai white. Even though that buddha's skin is too white and his ears a bit malformed, I liked the hair.
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
binocular

Post by binocular »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I think the pros outweigh the cons here.I am not so sure about the tee-shirts, or other items, but this will create happy associations in the minds of young Buddhists.

Later, they can understand better about reverence, and the profound wisdom of the Buddha.
And kill their plush buddhas ...
Aloka wrote:What bizarre idea next I wonder, perhaps a cuddly Jesus and a companion plump god with detachable cloud ?
A portable eternal hell. Maybe they could begin producing plush asuras too! That ought to be fun!

tiltbillings wrote:Of course the other option is jump up and down shouting "sacrilege!!!"
Well, this is along the lines of what I was thinking to do ...

But I've been deliberately training myself to be more appreciative of other people's interest in Buddhism, whatever it may be. I took some photos from fancy home-decor magazines - photos of people's living rooms, bathrooms (!), other spaces where they have statues and pictures of the Buddha in some very irreverent settings. And I try to see the good in that. Because previously, at some point, I just got tired of being upset over such things. Ah, I'm so nice.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

binocular wrote: Maybe they could begin producing plush asuras too! That ought to be fun!
Sounds great . Devas would also be nice as Barbie and Ken substitutes - and could be modelled on the plastic angels sold in Rome. Children could then be told that this realm would be their future reward for wholesome behaviour.

My First Deva

Last edited by Aloka on Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Oh my goodness, what's this ? My first teacher ?

binocular

Post by binocular »

Aloka wrote:Sounds great . Devas would also be nice as Barbie and Ken substitutes - and could be modelled on the plastic angels sold in Rome.
As for angel models - how about this one:

Although I'm not sure about how to render the flames adequately in plush.
Children could then be told that this realm would be their future reward for wholesome behaviour.
Yes, one must start early ...
My First Deva
Ah, we are already conversant in the language that is about devas and angels and ghosts anyway. I don't know why some people have reservations when these are mentioned in the Buddhist context.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

I wonder what does the parent say to the child when giving them "my first Buddha" ? That's the story I'd like to hear. Is this a figure to pray to? Is this a special figure, somehow different than my first Elmo? Why? Are they taught not to treat it in a disrespectful manner? Don't play tug of war with it with the dog? Does that matter? How complicated or confusing does this seemingly innocent stuffed figure rapidly become? I think children can be exposed to the actual teachings of the Dhamma in ways that will actually help with the unique sufferings of childhood, which I remember well. I'm not sure about this thing. For the child, it has no context, except as being similar to other toys, unless the parent is skillful in providing that context.
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
Feathers

Post by Feathers »

Personally I don't like the idea of pushing religion on children, however soft and cuddly it may appear.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

It's not just for kids of young ages. It can be a nice gift for older kids too. I ordered one for a juvenile senior (me). It can be a nice decoration, not necessarily 'forcing any religion' on anyone.

I ordered the Tibet gold color as I like that color better.