SN Goenka ?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Auguste

SN Goenka ?

Post by Auguste »

Are there monasteries where the monks practice meditation according to Goenka teachings ? or at least close to his approach of Vedana and all the sankaras stuff.. I know by example that in Thaï Forest Monasteries you practice anapana only (that's what I think reading Ajahn Brahm).
And what do you think about practicing the SN goenka's way for a while and then ordaining at a thaï forest monastery ? Is it totally different ?
Ben

Re: SN Goenka ?

Post by Ben »

Hi Auguste,
I was in Myanmar three years ago and at the time I was told f a monastery in Bago, I think, where monks practiced according to SN Goenka's approach.
I have some friends in Myanmar, so I can find out details, if you wish.
Kind regards,
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Auguste

Post by Auguste »

Thanks ben, that would be great. It's just for information though :)
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

Auguste wrote: I know by example that in Thaï Forest Monasteries you practice anapana only
No way, you practice however you want, using whatever technique works for you. A lot of Thai Forest monks do use anapana but the other popular "methods" I have heard a lot of monks talk about themselves using, are the Mahasi technique, and general awareness like Sayadaw U Tejania teaches.

And yes, there is a Goenka AT who is an Ajahn of a monastery in Northern Thailand somewhere.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

The monks at this monastery follow Goenka's practice.

Kahagolla Monastery
Kahagolla, Diyatalawa, Sri Lanka
Tel: +94 (0)573571621 (Ven. Ketawala)
HP: +94 710979591 (Ven. Vietnam Ratanadipa)
Email: kahagollamonastery at gmail.com

https://sites.google.com/site/ratanadip ... amonastery
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

HI Ben, I would also be interested to now about some monastery who practice in the S.N. Guenka way in Burma or above. I been training on S.N. Guenka center her in Canada since 2 1/2 years now, including being a sit and serve this winter.
I am now planning on visiting monastery's her in Canada this summer and going over sea to south east Asia next winter or so.
So, it would be nice to continue whit the same training instead of changing the approach.
thank you in advance.
:anjali: