Once-returning vs non-returning

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Lombardi4

Once-returning vs non-returning

Post by Lombardi4 »

Non-returning is obviously a superior attainment to once-returning.

And yet, the once-returner comes back one more time as a human being and attains Nibbana, while the non-returner is reborn in the pure abodes and stays there for eons before attaining Nibbana.

So it seems, if I understand it correctly, that it takes the once-returner far less time to attain Nibbana? And that would mean once-returning is the preferred option since one will escape samsara far sooner? Or have I got something wrong here?
culaavuso

Re: Once-returning vs non-returning

Post by culaavuso »

Stephen K wrote:Or have I got something wrong here?
This reasoning seems to conflate Nibbana with Parinibbana.
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

culaavuso wrote:
Could you expand a bit on that? :smile:
Bakmoon

Post by Bakmoon »

Stephen K wrote:
culaavuso wrote:
Could you expand a bit on that? :smile:
What he means is that it could be true that a once returner would enter into parinibbana before a non returner, that doesn't nessisarily mean that the once returner would attain Arahatship before the once returner.
The non-doing of any evil,
The performance of what's skillful,
The cleansing of one's own mind:
This is the Buddhas' teaching.
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

I see. Thanks.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Stephen K wrote: And yet, the once-returner comes back one more time as a human being and attains Nibbana,
Not necessarily, the once-returner comes back as either human or deva. And the deva realm could also be for aeons. Many of the reports of once-returners in the Suttas actually went to deva realms, not human.
Ananda26

Post by Ananda26 »

Stephen K wrote:Non-returning is obviously a superior attainment to once-returning.

And yet, the once-returner comes back one more time as a human being and attains Nibbana, while the non-returner is reborn in the pure abodes and stays there for eons before attaining Nibbana.

So it seems, if I understand it correctly, that it takes the once-returner far less time to attain Nibbana? And that would mean once-returning is the preferred option since one will escape samsara far sooner? Or have I got something wrong here?
With the abandoning of 3 fetters and the weakaning of lust, hatred, and delusion one has become a once returner and having returned once more to this world will put an end to suffering.

As I understand the wording of the once-returner description he could still attain Never Returner while in this world and then be reborn in the pure abodes.

Never Returner is closer to Arahant than Once Returner. The lifespan of a deva in the pure abodes is longer.

If you're planning to attain Arahant then you should prepare to undertake a monastic way of life, because it the nature of the Arahant to like the monastic way of life as Buddha has taught.

If he then returns to this world he would either attain Arahantship or Never Returner in that life.