My First Buddha - Soft and Cuddly

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Ben

Re: My First Buddha - Soft and Cuddly

Post by Ben »

David N. Snyder wrote:It's not just for kids of young ages. It can be a nice gift for older kids too. I ordered one for a juvenile senior (me). It can be a nice decoration, not necessarily 'forcing any religion' on anyone.

I ordered the Tibet gold color as I like that color better.
Be warned! Don't feed it after mid-day, David.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

My soft and cuddly plush Buddha arrived today! I put him in a nice, warm place.

Come to think of it, this is the first time I've had a plush toy. As a boy, I was into action figures, not plush toys.

quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

I wonder if they are promoting it at http://xm.buddhafair.com/en/
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The Fire Sermon

"Bhikkhus, all is burning. And what is the all that is burning?

"The eye is burning, forms are burning, eye-consciousness is burning, eye-contact is burning, also whatever is felt as pleasant or painful or neither-painful-nor-pleasant that arises with eye-contact for its indispensable condition, that too is burning. Burning with what? Burning with the fire of lust, with the fire of hate, with the fire of delusion. I say it is burning with birth, aging and death, with sorrows, with lamentations, with pains, with griefs, with despairs.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: "Bhikkhus, all is burning. And what is the all that is burning?

"The eye is burning, forms are burning, eye-consciousness is burning, eye-contact is burning...
I hope my Buddha isn't burning when I light up that fireplace!

But point well taken, Bhante. :) the thing is, my mood tends to be naturally dull. Looking at the plush Buddha helps to inspire me and brighten up my mind.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

waterchan wrote:
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:But point well taken, Bhante. :) the thing is, my mood tends to be naturally dull. Looking at the plush Buddha helps to inspire me and brighten up my mind.
For me too. I cannot help smiling when I see it. Buddhānussati is recommended to brighten the gloomy mind. I was also slightly concerned that it might catch fire, but I expect it is fully fire retardant in case you drop some burning incense on it.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
waterchan wrote:
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:But point well taken, Bhante. :) the thing is, my mood tends to be naturally dull. Looking at the plush Buddha helps to inspire me and brighten up my mind.
For me too. I cannot help smiling when I see it.
It is a good thing, and it is helping a good cause.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
fivebells

Post by fivebells »

As Ananda said, "This body comes into being through craving [for frivolous plush toys]. And yet it is by relying on craving [for frivolous plush toys] that craving is to be abandoned."

:jumping:
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

I confess, I ordered one too.

Once upon a time, I had a large plush animal collection. I donated them all when I downsized. But I figured, I can allow myself just one plush Buddha, no?

And yes, his smile is infectious.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

Well that means you don't get the bragging rights that I do.

"Dude, my first plush toy was a Buddha, man!"

Not that anybody cares.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

The owner of the company, Joost and his wife Anouk came to visit my place here in Las Vegas today. And they delivered some plush buddhas to us.
myfirstbuddha1a.jpg
myfirstbuddha1a.jpg (187.69 KiB) Viewed 1844 times
Me (left) and Joost (right)
myfirstbuddha2a.jpg
myfirstbuddha2a.jpg (191.34 KiB) Viewed 1844 times
Anouk and Joost
sattva

Post by sattva »

When I saw this I couldn't help thinking, "Oh no!"

There have been basically two opinions expressed in this thread, and I am on the side of, ---drumroll---both!!! Luckily, I don't have the money to buy one at this time. So, it is saving me the dilemma of whether to purchase one or not. Think I would rather eat instead! If I had the money, I might be tempted to buy one of the Tibetan gold ones for my apartment :) I have to admit they make me smile and I am all for smiling!
http://www.chatzy.com/25904628501622
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

sattva wrote:When I saw this I couldn't help thinking, "Oh no!"

There have been basically two opinions expressed in this thread, and I am on the side of, ---drumroll---both!!! Luckily, I don't have the money to buy one at this time. So, it is saving me the dilemma of whether to purchase one or not. Think I would rather eat instead! If I had the money, I might be tempted to buy one of the Tibetan gold ones for my apartment :) I have to admit they make me smile and I am all for smiling!
I haven't read the thread but I'm guessing the opinions run along the lines of "this is great" vs. "this is disrespectful". Is this basically the TLDR version or am I mistaken?
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa