What do you want to do when you're dead?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
manas

Re: What do you want to do when you're dead?

Post by manas »

cooran wrote:Hello all,

An interesting article:

What do you want to do when you're dead?
http://www.iflscience.com/environment/w ... ce-edition

With metta,
Chris
I love the idea of a 'sky-burial' as it is called in Tibet, where the body is left out in the open so that wild animals can devour it. But out of consideration for my childrens' feelings, of course I will not do this, and will opt for cremation in a plain cardboard box.

:thumbsup:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

manas wrote:
I love the idea of a 'sky-burial' as it is called in Tibet, where the body is left out in the open so that wild animals can devour it.
The dead bodies are eaten by vultures - which is why its called "sky" burial.
In several accounts, the flesh was stripped from the bones and given to vultures without further preparation; the bones then were broken up with sledgehammers, and usually mixed with tsampa before being given to the vultures. Many rogyapa first feed the bones and cartilage to the vultures, keeping the best flesh until last. After having had their fill of good quality meat, the birds usually fly away - leaving the bones and less favored bits.[citation needed]

In one account, the leading rogyapa cut off the limbs and hacked the body to pieces, handing each part to his assistants, who used rocks to pound the flesh and bones together to a pulp, which they mixed with tsampa before the vultures were summoned to eat.

Sometimes the internal organs were removed and processed separately, but they too were consumed by birds. The hair is removed from the head and may be simply thrown away; at Drigung, it seems, at least some hair is kept in a room of the monastery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_burial
Last edited by Aloka on Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
plwk

Post by plwk »

I love the idea of a 'sky-burial' as it is called in Tibet, where the body is left out in the open so that wild animals can devour it. But out of consideration for my childrens' feelings, of course I will not do this, and will opt for cremation in a plain cardboard box.

:thumbsup:
You mean the Dakhma...
TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

Spiny Norman wrote:I would like one of those Viking funerals where you get put on a boat and they shoot arrows to set it alight. But it probably wouldn't be allowed due to Health and Safety. :jumping:
Great....I just had a mental image of that wonderful film, 'The Vikings' starring Kirk Douglas and Tony Curtis as Viking brothers.... it was such a dreadful film - it was brilliant. Now, i can't get the theme tune out of my head!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wcD8RW6Leo

What do I want to do when I'm dead?

Get a good night's kip.
As an insomniac, even three hours' continuous sleep is bliss to me!
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....