Can intention of renunciation ever be unwholesome?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
happylotus1

Can intention of renunciation ever be unwholesome?

Post by happylotus1 »

I have a strong inclination of ordination to live a life without any burden and responsibilities of mundane life :computerproblem: . This interest of my renunciation life started around 10 years back when I was introduced to the teachings of the Buddha. Since then I have joined several meditation retreats and have tried to practice mindfulness in my daily life. Now I am in a situation that I can no longer remain happy with my life as a layman(not as a hate of being layman but feeling uneasy living with so many unnecessary distractions). When I expressed my desire to become a monk, my parents initially thoughts that I was joking, so they were not supportive. Time passed on, and my desire to become a renunciate could not be materialized. Recently with tune with my parent's wishes(I am from South Asian origin) I got married to a girl whom they chose to be fit in family. Still after marriage, I have a strong disconnection with family life and strong inclination towards monk life. Obviously, I am facing moral and psychological opposition from most of my relatives i.e. father, mother, brother, however, parents have recently given the verbal permission to join monastic discipline if I wanted after my continuous insistence.

So I was wondering if my thoughts of renouncing family life for a higher life as pointed out by the Buddha can be unwholesome? or in another way, suppose I left everything behind and went to monastic discipline to practice arduously the 227 precepts and meditation, is there any negative or unwholesome karma regarding renouncing my family (considering old parents and newly wed wife)? or it is more wholesome to remain with lay life (with discontent) to appease the family members for their psychological needs? :anjali:
A householder or householder's son, hearing the Dhamma, gains conviction in the Tathāgata and reflects: 'Household life is confining, a dusty path. The life gone forth is like the open air. It is not easy living at home to practice the holy life totally perfect, totally pure, like a polished shell. What if I were to shave off my hair & beard, put on the ochre robes, and go forth from the household life into homelessness?
Goofaholix

Re: Can intention of renunciation ever be unwholesome?

Post by Goofaholix »

If you read your text you are using words like desire, inclination, discontent. These kinds of emotional pulls probably have craving, aversion, and delusion at their root.

While the desire to awaken is always a wholesome thing, I don't think the desire to be a monk is always necessarily so. It's often fueled by aversion to one's current situation and the belief that the grass is greener on the other side, so aversion and craving. You may find once you get to the other side you might start to feel the grass is greener back where you came from.

In your case you married someone, and she will be hurt if you leave her, I'm guessing in your culture she may be regarded as used goods and have trouble remarrying. Just because the legend of the Buddha has him leaving his wife doesn't mean to say you should or that there is a kammic loophole whereby one can hurt someone one is supposed to love and not be troubled by the resulting kamma.

So my advice is be the best Buddhist and husband you can in your current situation, make a compromise with your family that if you are going to live the householder life you need them to give you room for meditation and retreats etc. Practise the path as fully as you can in your current situation before considering changing it because unless you can be the best Buddhist and husband you can how can you be sure you'll be any better at being a monk.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I agree with Goff.
Observe as much precepts as you can as a lay person. (up to 10 precepts)
Practice virtu, concentration and wisdom to the fullest.
After all above if you are still adamant, I think you got a good case.
I think monk’s life is much harder than the lay life.
:shrug:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
happylotus1

Post by happylotus1 »

Thank you Goff and Sarathw,

I agree with you I have used words like desire, inclination, discontent and as you pointed out I do have craving, aversion, and delusion.

My intention of joining the monastic setting is not to increase these defilement further but to restraint and subdue them so that very few people (include me) will suffer in the future ...(lives)

I understand monk’s life is much harder than the lay life(but not in every sense) as I am already exposed to that setting as a participant of a long term retreat. and I feel confident, happy and encouraged to give a try experiencing that hardness. My concern here is not "will I be able to practice the monastic discipline?" If I cannot, I can anytime return to my normal family life.

My main concern is: " is it blameworthy for a family guy to give that a try? "

or in short which weighs more:

Kusala Kamma of 227 precepts monk or negative kamma of renouncing family responsibilities to practice 227 precepts monk?

:namaste:
A householder or householder's son, hearing the Dhamma, gains conviction in the Tathāgata and reflects: 'Household life is confining, a dusty path. The life gone forth is like the open air. It is not easy living at home to practice the holy life totally perfect, totally pure, like a polished shell. What if I were to shave off my hair & beard, put on the ochre robes, and go forth from the household life into homelessness?
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

Why don't you ask your wife's opinion????
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
happylotus1

Post by happylotus1 »

I have already asked about it.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

lyndon taylor wrote:Why don't you ask your wife's opinion????
Lyndon is right, if your wife is happy with this then it's not blameworthy, I recall one Ajahn telling me they accept married men if the wife gives permission.

However I think you are missing a significant aspect of practice in that it's about finding a peace of mind that is there regardless of circumstances, you do this by practicing in situations that are uncomfortable and not ideal and finding that by stopping the search for happiness outside one can find it inside. The Monastic system is designed to do this by taking away the comforts people normally rely on, however for some people like you (and me if the truth be told) the opposite is true and monastic life offers the comforts we yearn for, in that situation using lay life as a practice environment can provide the challenge and going against the grain that is needed.

In short yes I think what you are proposing is more blameworthy.

You made your bed, you should lie in it and learn to practice in it as best you can, learn to make the most of the cards you've been dealt. Perhaps later on when there's more wisdom and less yearning a way might open up that doesn't have you conflicted on the relative blameworthiness of the path you want to choose.
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

happylotus1 wrote:I have already asked about it.
Care to share the response?
― Ajahn Chah
happylotus1

Post by happylotus1 »

Goofaholix,

I am not afraid of being in comfortless zone as you have pointed out "Monastic system is designed to do this by taking away the comforts people normally rely on". What I think is that physical comfort has its trade offs; it comes with the cost of mental discomfort. For example, good house or nice car comes with the cost of taking burden and responsibilities of nice job that requires meeting deadlines and other associated discomfort (such as harsher treatment from the boss...etc ). No physical comfort means one does not need to dedicate his/her time on creating that comfortable condition. So I do have higher appreciation of monastic life without much material comfort as it that gives us ample opportunities for solitude, reflection, mental training and overall freedom.

As far as I read suttas, there were very few instances where householders were discouraged to enter into the monastic life. But most of the time, they were either encouraged to do so or praised for what they have done. Nanda, for example (http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html) was encouraged to forget his fiance and strive for the practice. But most of the householder remained as householder because they wanted to remain so. Life is a flow and the process of marriage etc happens even without our strong inclination for it (at least in my case).

I once met a renunciate who left his home life into homelessness around 16 years of age told me...."it is almost impossible to get full coordination/cooperation from the family for renunciate life because of the different inclinations and priorities the members of the family have; so it is a matter of personal decision to take and not to take anyone's permission". He left his home around 16 years of his age avoiding any sort of contacts between his family for initial five- six years. As obvious, my wife does not have similar inclination for monastic life( I can say it is more a kind of antagonistic)

I rephrased your words replacing "you" as "I" and it read like this, "I made my bed, I should lie in it and learn to practice in it as best I can, learn to make the most of the cards I've been dealt. Perhaps later on when there's more wisdom and less yearning a way might open up that doesn't have me conflicted on the relative blameworthiness of the path I want to choose"

Certainly I am learning to practice in it as best I can from my current situation. But Is it reasonable to stick with our current situation and do not give a try for something that our heart is set upon ? especially considering the sutta......do haste in making good...and...'Household life is confining, a dusty path. The life gone forth is like the open air. It is not easy living at home to practice the holy life totally perfect, totally pure, like a polished shell. What if I were to shave off my hair and beard, put on the ochre robes, and go forth from the household life into homelessness?'
santa100

Post by santa100 »

happylotus1 wrote:..Obviously, I am facing moral and psychological opposition from most of my relatives i.e. father, mother, brother, however, parents have recently given the verbal permission to join monastic discipline if I wanted after my continuous insistence.
The monastic life is a noble goal. But some important questions to consider first: does your wife have the financial mean to support herself without you? Do you have young children that need your support?
happylotus1

Post by happylotus1 »

Santa100,

She has a full time job to support herself financially and there are no children.

Regards,
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Well, then the biggest hurdles have been cleared. Now you just have to be bloody honest with yourself that the monastic life is what you seriously want to do. Have a straight and honest talk with your wife. If you simply are not happy with your current situation, keeping the relationship would just be more suffering for her and for yourself. Also check with the Abbot of the of monastery where you want to ordain and ask for his insight on this matter. Good luck..
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I think there can always be mixed motivations when we do anything wholesome. There are two kinds of renunciates — those who renounce through faith (saddhāpabbajitā) and those who renounce through fear (bhayapabbajitā), that is for fear of earning a living in the world.

I don't see what's holding you back. Just do it wholeheartedly, and leave your wife free from legal problems over ownership of property, so that she is completely free to remarry if she wishes. Leave, and don't ever look back. It might be better to go to Burma or Thailand to put some distance between yourself and family ties.

See A Manual of Religious Heritage by Ledi Sayādaw.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
happylotus1

Post by happylotus1 »

Thank you Venerable Bhikkhu Pesala, Santa100, Goofaholix, lyndon Taylor, Sarathw for your valuable suggestions. :anjali:
Ananda26

Post by Ananda26 »

happylotus1 wrote:I have a strong inclination of ordination to live a life without any burden and responsibilities of mundane life :computerproblem: . This interest of my renunciation life started around 10 years back when I was introduced to the teachings of the Buddha. Since then I have joined several meditation retreats and have tried to practice mindfulness in my daily life. Now I am in a situation that I can no longer remain happy with my life as a layman(not as a hate of being layman but feeling uneasy living with so many unnecessary distractions). When I expressed my desire to become a monk, my parents initially thoughts that I was joking, so they were not supportive. Time passed on, and my desire to become a renunciate could not be materialized. Recently with tune with my parent's wishes(I am from South Asian origin) I got married to a girl whom they chose to be fit in family. Still after marriage, I have a strong disconnection with family life and strong inclination towards monk life. Obviously, I am facing moral and psychological opposition from most of my relatives i.e. father, mother, brother, however, parents have recently given the verbal permission to join monastic discipline if I wanted after my continuous insistence.

So I was wondering if my thoughts of renouncing family life for a higher life as pointed out by the Buddha can be unwholesome? or in another way, suppose I left everything behind and went to monastic discipline to practice arduously the 227 precepts and meditation, is there any negative or unwholesome karma regarding renouncing my family (considering old parents and newly wed wife)? or it is more wholesome to remain with lay life (with discontent) to appease the family members for their psychological needs? :anjali:
In Therevadan Buddhism one has to get permission from one's parents to become a monk. Buddha knew it is good to take care of one's parents.