Abortion sources

A forum for members who wish to develop a deeper understanding of the Pali Canon and associated Commentaries, which for discussion purposes are both treated as authoritative.

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

Abortion sources

Postby Will » Sat May 11, 2013 7:42 pm

If links or pdfs or cited quotes from the suttas & commentaries on abortion could be given, I would appreciate it.

To clarify my purpose for this thread: I simply want to get many Theravadin sources on the subject and discuss how abortion was viewed around the era of Buddha, not now.
Last edited by Will on Sun May 12, 2013 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This noble eightfold path is the ancient path traveled by all the Buddhas of eons past. Nagara Sutta
Will

Re: Abortion sources

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat May 11, 2013 8:46 pm

"A Bhikkhu who intentionally kills a human being, down to procuring abortion, is no Samana and no follower of the Sakyaputta."
Mahavagga 1.78 (Vinaya)
http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?title=Mv_1.78

http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?title=Suttavibhanga

unfavourable rebirth (Ja.V,269)

Monks and nuns are forbidden to procure abortions for others (Digha Nikaya vol. I,11)

http://www.buddhisma2z.com/content.php?id=3
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Zakattack » Sat May 11, 2013 9:47 pm

To a toddler, who moves about with difficulty, there is not even a self.

Maha-Malunkhyaputta Sutta

Then King Yama presses and questions and cross-questions him about the first divine messenger: ‘Good man, did you not see the first divine messenger to appear in the world?’ He says: ‘I did not, venerable sir.’ Then King Yama says: ‘Good man, have you never seen in the world a young tender infant lying prone, fouled in his own excrement and urine?’ He says: ‘I have, venerable sir.’

Devadūta Sutta - The Divine Messengers

Then for nine or ten months the mother shelters the embryo in her womb with great anxiety, as a heavy burden. Then, at the end of nine or ten months, she gives birth with great anxiety, as a heavy burden.

Mahatanhasankhaya Sutta

Suppavāsā, who was seven years pregnant and seven days in difficult labor, has now — well & free from disease — delivered a son free from disease.

Then Ven. Sāriputta said to the child, "I trust, child, that things are bearable for you. I trust that things are comfortable for you. I trust that there's no pain."

"From where, Ven. Sāriputta, would things be bearable for me? From where would they be comfortable for me living seven years in a belly of blood?"

The Blessed One, knowing that Suppavāsā was gratified, joyful, rapturous, & happy, said to her, "Suppavāsā, would you like to have another son like this?"

"O Blessed One, lord, I would like to have seven more sons like this!"

Then, on realizing the significance of that, the Blessed One on that occasion exclaimed:

The disagreeable
in the guise of the agreeable,
the unlovable
in the guise of the lovable,
pain in the guise of bliss,
overcome
one who is heedless.

Suppavāsā Sutta
Last edited by Zakattack on Sat May 11, 2013 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zakattack

Postby Will » Sat May 11, 2013 9:52 pm

Thanks for some sources David.

Here is a definition from Vin. III.73:

Human being means: from the mind’s first arising, from (the time of) consciousness becoming first manifest in a mother’s womb until the time of death, here meanwhile he is called a human being.

From the Brahmajala Sutta:

Whereas some ascetics and Brahmins make their living by such base arts as ... procuring abortions ... the ascetic Gotama refrains from such base arts and wrong means of livelihood.

So not only the act of aborting, but providing abortions is bad kamma, it appears.
This noble eightfold path is the ancient path traveled by all the Buddhas of eons past. Nagara Sutta
Will

Postby Zakattack » Sun May 12, 2013 11:22 am

Stressful, painful, is the woman's state:
so says the tamer of tamable people.
Being a co-wife is painful.
Some, on giving birth once,
slit their throats.
Others, of delicate constitution,
take poison.
In the midst of a breech-birth
both [mother & child] suffer destruction.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
Zakattack

Postby Ananda26 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:08 pm

Precept #1: Abstaining from killing.

Also referred to as: Thou shall not kill.
Ananda26

Return to Classical Theravāda