Buddhist Monk Pen-pals

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
texastea

Buddhist Monk Pen-pals

Post by texastea »

Being that I am in college, I am interested in becoming pen-pals via the internet with buddhist monks around my age (19-25). I am age 19. I'm willing to help with their english through Facebook, email, or even Skype. I've always been curious what it was life growing up as a teen in a monastery. I also speak basic Mandarin Chinese if that helps. If anyone could offer some knowledge on this, that would be great!
TheNoBSBuddhist

Re: Buddhist Monk Pen-pals

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

Contacting pertinent monasteries directly may be more fruitful.

Some monasteries also offer retreats for those curious about monastic life & ordination.
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
texastea

Post by texastea »

Do you know of any pertinent monestaries? Are there any in china?
TheNoBSBuddhist

Is that where you are?
Be mindful of how the Chinese view Buddhism.....

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
texastea

Post by texastea »

I am in California studying Mandarin Chinese. I assume that it would be mutually beneficial if the monks were trying to learn English and I am trying to learn Chinese.
TheNoBSBuddhist

By all means go to China to teach those wishing to learn English, English. And learn whichever dialect of chinese would be appropriate or useful to you....

But examine, research and scrutinise the attitude, in general, to Buddhism, and Buddhist Monasteries/Communities there.

Not all Chinese condemn or persecute Buddhists, but Buddhists have been persecuted by the Chinese....

texastea

Post by texastea »

Would it be possible to set up something through the internet in the interim?
TheNoBSBuddhist

That is a good question, given that (faceless) Chinese authorities are guilty of heavy censoring and monitoring of the internet there.....

I recommend thorough investigative research.

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/World/20 ... -to-blame/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_c ... c_of_China

This is just scratching the surface, of scratching the surface, of research.