Evolution and Intelligent Design/Creationism

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
tiltbillings

Re: Evolution and Intelligent Design/Creationism

Post by tiltbillings »

christopher::: wrote:Seems we disagree again, as usual.

Concerning your dog, cat and gecko- they are different from one another in countless ways. They are similar in that all have skeletal systems, all are sentient, and are nothing like rocks.
Given what you said above, I could have added rocks and fairy dust to the list.
The ideas of Tao, Dharmakaya, Force and Ayin are similar in that a) they all point towards some cosmic principle, power, law or source that is involved with the way things work in our Universe, and that b) none refer to a man in a white beard (or with blue skin) who created the Universe and is watching over everything.
You complain about me being disrespectful towards other religions, and you are here showing a massive disrespect to towards the highly sophisticated notions of god that are readily available in Christianity or Hinduism, assuming blue skin is a reference to Krishna. Have actually ever read the Bhagavad Gita?

As for being similar, what you are saying here is very vague. It does not yet tell us anything meaningful, or show that you have good grasp of the concepts involved in a way that warrants them being clumped together.
Other then those similarities, they are also different in countless ways.
Kinda different, enough so that it is maybe not quite so reasonable to clump these things together.
You may disagree. And yes, if we explore this politely i'd be willing to discuss, though not now, as i have a plane taking off for Japan tomorrow and need to get back to my packing.
We’ll see.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

christopher::: wrote:Religions exist because people seek understanding, inspiration, freedom from fear and suffering, a sense of connectedness to the world and deeper meaning. These are very important human needs.
[/i]
We 'need' food, water, rest, and to evacuate...period...all physical...the states mentioned are all mental...sources of trouble...'when chopping wood, just chop wood'...
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

appicchato wrote:
We 'need' food, water, rest, and to evacuate...period... all physical... the states mentioned are all mental...sources of trouble...'when chopping wood, just chop wood'...
Yes! (and air)... beyond that, "seek" would have been a better word choice.

Thank you, bhante.

:namaste:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009