No affection? At all? Period?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
James the Giant

Re: No affection? At all? Period?

Post by James the Giant »

Kasina wrote:, by the way, is the monastery I'm considering:

http://tisarana.ca/

Ajahn Vīradhammo is the abbot there.
Oh way cool, that's a great little place, and Ajahn Viradhammo is great.
Really down-to-earth, great meditation teacher, relaxed, with a sense of humour. He spent how long caring for his mother? 5 years before she finally passed away?
He's the kind of ajahn I would aspire to be like.
When I was wondering which monastery to ordain at, another ajahn told me "Now that his mother has passed away, he is back at Tisarana full-time. You watch, in 5 or 10 years that place will be packed with monks who have come to learn from him. Get in now James, he's an ajahn who knows the way"
Cool eh.

Best of luck! I'd love to visit there one day, but alas, it is far.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Kasina

Post by Kasina »

James the Giant wrote:
Kasina wrote:, by the way, is the monastery I'm considering:

http://tisarana.ca/

Ajahn Vīradhammo is the abbot there.
Oh way cool, that's a great little place, and Ajahn Viradhammo is great.
Really down-to-earth, great meditation teacher, relaxed, with a sense of humour. He spent how long caring for his mother? 5 years before she finally passed away?
He's the kind of ajahn I would aspire to be like.
When I was wondering which monastery to ordain at, another ajahn told me "Now that his mother has passed away, he is back at Tisarana full-time. You watch, in 5 or 10 years that place will be packed with monks who have come to learn from him. Get in now James, he's an ajahn who knows the way"
Cool eh.

Best of luck! I'd love to visit there one day, but alas, it is far.
Really? That's awesome to hear, and the other Ajahn was probably right. More and more people are becoming novices there as of late. Hopefully I can pay off my debt in the fall.
"This world completely lacks essence;
It trembles in all directions.
I longed to find myself a place
Unscathed — but I could not see it."

Sn 4.15 PTS: Sn 935-951 "Attadanda Sutta: Arming Oneself"

"You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go... This is the curse at work, the curse that feeds on all life..."

Wilbur Mercer in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

I have to agree; it lacks compassion. but Jesus did the same, it seems....

http://atheism.about.com/od/biblegospel ... ark03e.htm

(Pardon the somewhat 'insular' Americanism... as if Americans are going to be the only ones reading this and taking anything of value! :roll: )
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

(Hang on.... Where did Manas' post go....?!) :?:
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
Ananda26

Post by Ananda26 »

Kasina wrote:Here is a quote from a previous thread of mine:
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:This is the full text from Buddhist Monastic Code:
Intention. The Vinītavatthu contains cases of a bhikkhu who caresses his mother out of filial affection, one who caresses his daughter out of fatherly affection, and one who caresses his sister out of brotherly affection. In each case the penalty is a Dukkaṭa.
The Vibhaṅga does not discuss the issue of bhikkhus who intentionally make active contact with women for purposes other than lust or affection — e.g., helping a woman who has fallen into a raging river — but the Commentary does. It introduces the concept of anāmasa, things carrying a Dukkaṭa penalty when touched; women and clothing belonging to a woman top the list. It then goes into great detail to tell how one should behave when one’s mother falls into a raging river. Under no circumstances, it says, should one grab hold of her, although one may extend a rope, a board, etc., in her direction. If she happens to grab hold of her son the bhikkhu, he should not shake her off, but should simply let her hold on as he swims back to shore.
Where the Commentary gets the concepts of anāmasa is hard to say. Perhaps it came from the practices of the Brahmin caste, who are very careful not to touch certain things and people of certain lower castes. At any rate, there is no direct basis for it in the Canon. Although the concept has received universal acceptance in Theravādin Communities, many highly‑respected Vinaya experts have made an exception right here, saying that there is nothing wrong in touching a woman when one’s action is based not on lust, but on a desire to save her from danger. Even if there is an offence in doing so, there are other places where Buddhaghosa recommends that one be willing to incur a minor penalty for the sake of compassion (e.g., digging a person out of a hole into which he has fallen), and the same principle surely holds here.
So, shaking a woman's hand with the intention to avoid being impolite, or touching a woman to help her, not being lustful, nor out of affection, are no offence. However, touching or hugging out of affection are an offence of wrong-doing.

If a woman tries to shake my hand, I usually explain how to greet a bhikkhu by holding the hands in añjali, if circumstances are
http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... ly#p284154

What I gather is that if I want to be a monk, I cannot under any circumstance hug any of my family members... Which, well, is a problem, because I would really like to be a monk. However, if I were to say "sorry mom, I can't touch you anymore" she'd be less than thrilled, to say the least. I've already received a fair bit of resistance to my choice, and theres always, how do I put this, a frosty reception from my mother. Her eyes just glaze over and she meets anything I say about these sort of things with disbelief and utter disinterest. Honestly, it makes me very sad but I can't really expect much out of parents who aren't even religious (that isn't to say they're atheists, at least not my mother, my father probably doesn't even consider such things)... Anyways, say if I were to ordain (I'm ordaining at an Ajahn Chah monastery in Canada, 4 hours from where I live) I've read in the canon examples of people who utterly wanted to ordain but their parents wouldn't let them (mine have given me consent btw). Under these circumstances, conditional ordination was allowed. Could I have such an ordination, that would still allow me to interact with my family (physically, I'm positive there's no rule against me going for visits), so I could satisfy their wants and needs concerning my affection? If not is it possible to be a novice for, well, life so I needn't violate the vinaya?

Metta, Josh.
It may be a good idea to let your parents meet some Buddhist Society and Buddhist Culture. It may be easier for your mother to understand when she sees a Buddhist Culture practising this way. Maybe you can plan some alternative ways of your mother expressing her love to you that would be acceptable to the culture there. I have talked with some of my relatives about loving kindness. They like loving kindness. So then I have just suggested some ways of practising loving kindness that is appropriate.

Also letting them encounter more Buddhist Society may help better prepare them for your idea to become a monk.

Good luck and loving kindness to you.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Whatever happens, I think you'll do great Josh. You seem very conscientious and honest. All the best!
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa