Could we have a 'like' button....

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.

Could we have a 'like' button....

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:40 pm

...in posts to click on, if we like what that member has contributed, but don't necessarily feel a raft of words in response, is warranted?

Even the 'good posting' emoticon means we have to post.... being able to simply 'like' a post would be so much simpler.
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
TheNoBSBuddhist

Re: Could we have a 'like' button....

Postby Crazy cloud » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:52 pm

I find this way :goodpost: + a few words describing what one likes especially , the best in the long run

It makes the feedback more personal and sincere, in my opinion

best regards :)
your name Mori means forest like the infinite fresh green distances of your blindness
Crazy cloud

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:00 pm

Sure.... But I can bet your bottom dollar that if a 'like' button existed, you'd use that instead, if all you wanted to do was to show approval.

Both options would cover the bases..........

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
TheNoBSBuddhist

Postby Crazy cloud » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:18 pm

No, I would not have done it the easiest way .. ;)

In another forum I use to visit, they have that option, and often it seems to me that the "like-button" only signals to the monkeys: come and join in the cirkus :stirthepot: , and dont forget to bring your drums along .. :woohoo:
your name Mori means forest like the infinite fresh green distances of your blindness
Crazy cloud

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:23 pm

well thank you for your comments. I await the response from Admin; after all, they have the authority to make this decision....

Thanks.

TheNoBSBuddhist

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:04 pm

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:07 pm

That answers my question!

:goodpost:

:clap:

:twothumbsup:

:bow:

That will do nicely, I think!

:jumping:

TheNoBSBuddhist

Postby m0rl0ck » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:02 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7151
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4747

Good policy. There are plenty of boards where popularity contests and the lowest common denominator dictate content. Dhammawheel is a nice refuge from that sort of thing.
"Even if you've read the whole Canon and can remember lots of teachings; even if you can explain them in poignant ways, with lots of people to respect you; even if you build a lot of monastery buildings, or can explain inconstancy, stress, and not-self in the most detailed fashion ... The only thing that serves your own true purpose is release from suffering.

"And you'll be able to gain release from suffering only when you know the one mind."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai ... eleft.html
m0rl0ck

Postby Jetavan » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:07 pm

Personally, I was hoping for a 'crave' button.
Jetavan

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:28 pm

Oooooh Yesss!

I want one, I want one, I want one, I want one, I want one!!

:woohoo: :rofl:

TheNoBSBuddhist

Postby Spiny Norman » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:33 am

m0rl0ck wrote:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4747

Good policy. There are plenty of boards where popularity contests and the lowest common denominator dictate content. Dhammawheel is a nice refuge from that sort of thing.

Yes, it is. And trying to be popular is hard work anyway. ;)
Well, oi dunno...
Spiny Norman

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:25 am

I don't need to try..... :tongue:

:rolleye:

TheNoBSBuddhist

Postby Modus.Ponens » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:40 pm

m0rl0ck wrote:

:P
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"
Modus.Ponens

Postby m0rl0ck » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:57 pm

:goodpost:
"Even if you've read the whole Canon and can remember lots of teachings; even if you can explain them in poignant ways, with lots of people to respect you; even if you build a lot of monastery buildings, or can explain inconstancy, stress, and not-self in the most detailed fashion ... The only thing that serves your own true purpose is release from suffering.

"And you'll be able to gain release from suffering only when you know the one mind."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai ... eleft.html
m0rl0ck

Postby Modus.Ponens » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:53 pm

:focus:
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"
Modus.Ponens

Postby dhammapal » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:02 am

Hi,

I really discovered Facebook in January 2014 and the Like button is vital, not just for encouragement "Sadhu!" but because it means the threshold for identifying new friends is so low just a click whereas here you have to interrupt the conversation with a reply even if it is only a "Good Post". My main Facebook group is experiencing more than exponential growth. I checked out "DhammaWheel on Facebook" and people aren't using the Like button very much.

In the Anguttara Nikaya the Buddha repeatedly censured being stingy with praise as a fetter.

With metta / dhammapal.
dhammapal

Postby SarathW » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:27 am

Modus.Ponens wrote:
m0rl0ck wrote:

:P

:thumbsup:
SarathW

Postby dhammapal » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:26 am

I can see the logic now. I remembered this quote:
Thanissaro Bhikkhu wrote:There have been periods in the history of Buddhism when monks would put fans in front of their faces so that they wouldn't read the reaction of the people out there, the idea being that the audience would be more likely to actually hear the genuine Dharma when the speaker isn't trying to read the audience and please them.

With metta / dhammapal.
dhammapal

Return to Suggestion box