Kids Books

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Thaibebop

Kids Books

Post by Thaibebop »

Does anyone have any experience with any of these books? Please enlighten me if you do, are they good or bad for a soon to be seven year old?

Kindness: A Treasury of Buddhist Wisdom for Children and Parents (The Little Light of Mine Series)
Sarah Connover

Prince Siddhartha: The Story of Buddha
John Landaw

Peaceful Piggy Meditation
Kerry Lee Maclean

Thanks all!
:buddha1:
zavk

Re: Kids Books

Post by zavk »

I haven't heard of them, but I would like to read Peaceful Piggy Meditation! :pig:

Sorry I can't help though.
With metta,
zavk
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Thaibebop wrote:Does anyone have any experience with any of these books? Please enlighten me if you do, are they good or bad for a soon to be seven year old?
Prince Siddhartha and Peaceful Piggy Meditation are both excellent. Prince Siddhartha is good for anyone from any tradition. Peaceful Piggy Meditation is written by a Shambhala Buddhist and from that perspective, but still very good.
puthujjana

Post by puthujjana »

btw, the BPS offers two Kids Books:

The Life of the Buddha
by Martha Aitchison
The tale of how a prince came to abandon a life of luxury and comfort and went away to discover the secret of happiness, suffering much penury before he reached his goal, seems the stuff of fairy stories. Yet it was a real man who achieved such a selfless and extraordinary deed. We know this man as the Buddha, the All Enlightened One, and this is his life, told as simply as possible for children, in words and drawings for them to colour.
2009, 32 pp. 29.5 cm BPC 02
Price: $ 3.00

The Golden Goose

by S. Dhammika
An illustrated comic book containing five brief Jataka stories from the previous lives of the Buddha especially adapted for young children. Includes the Suvannahansa Jataka, Mahasara Jataka, Babbu Jataka, Munika Jataka, and Vanarinda Jataka.
2005, 30 pp. 30 cm BPC 01

:arrow: http://bps.lk/children_books.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Once you understand anatta, then the burden of life is gone. You’ll be at peace with the world. When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness and we can truly be happy."
- Ajahn Chah
Thaibebop

Post by Thaibebop »

TheDhamma wrote:
Thaibebop wrote:Does anyone have any experience with any of these books? Please enlighten me if you do, are they good or bad for a soon to be seven year old?
Prince Siddhartha and Peaceful Piggy Meditation are both excellent. Prince Siddhartha is good for anyone from any tradition. Peaceful Piggy Meditation is written by a Shambhala Buddhist and from that perspective, but still very good.
How big a difference would there really be in kids books about meditation? I don't mind that it is from a different tradition. I don't think I could find Theravadan meditation books for kids, or do you know of some?

Thanks!
:anjali:
Thaibebop

Post by Thaibebop »

puthujjana wrote:btw, the BPS offers two Kids Books:

The Life of the Buddha
by Martha Aitchison
The tale of how a prince came to abandon a life of luxury and comfort and went away to discover the secret of happiness, suffering much penury before he reached his goal, seems the stuff of fairy stories. Yet it was a real man who achieved such a selfless and extraordinary deed. We know this man as the Buddha, the All Enlightened One, and this is his life, told as simply as possible for children, in words and drawings for them to colour.
2009, 32 pp. 29.5 cm BPC 02

The Golden Goose

by S. Dhammika
An illustrated comic book containing five brief Jataka stories from the previous lives of the Buddha especially adapted for young children. Includes the Suvannahansa Jataka, Mahasara Jataka, Babbu Jataka, Munika Jataka, and Vanarinda Jataka.
2005, 30 pp. 30 cm BPC 01

:arrow: http://bps.lk/children_books.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cool! Thanks for the recommedations, I'll go check them out. :anjali: