Buddha Pendant

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
indian_buddhist

Buddha Pendant

Post by indian_buddhist »

Hello,

I read about Buddhist teachings about 2 years ago but did not heed to his teachings. About 6 months I have again started reading about Buddhism and have since started following his teachings. I read the Pali canon chiefly (english translations).

I recently had an idea of buying and wearing a Buddha Pendant which has an image of Buddha. My intention is to remind me of his teachings and the Pendant would help me in doing it.

I read somewhere that the Buddha asked NOT to have any symbols. I would like the forum to let me know if it is Correct and Right to wear Pendants considering if the Buddha did indeed deny to do it?.
Identification with my country is one of my fetters.
TheNoBSBuddhist

Re: Buddha Pendant

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

Well, I guess that depends on you; When I first came to Buddhism, I wore a Buddha pendant, and actually, that was a way to show people what path I followed; rather like a Christian wearing a cross, or a Jew wearing the Star of David.

Now, after practice, and much time, I don't bother.
I have reached a stage in my path where I do not need reminding of what I practice.
Every day, is Practice.

How well I practice, is for me to evaluate. But I DO practice, every day, every moment I can.
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

There is nothing wrong with it from my point of view. But the best reminder IMO is mindfulness, i.e keeping in mind at all times the intention to keep the precepts and follow the path.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
indian_buddhist

Post by indian_buddhist »

ok I am sorry about troubling others. What I am worried about (and the Buddha himself mentions in Digha Nikaya) is that by having his representation we are following him and not his teachings. I would rather wear Dharma Chakra(which is a representation of his teachings) but in India we dont get that.
Identification with my country is one of my fetters.
plwk

Post by plwk »

What I am worried about (and the Buddha himself mentions in Digha Nikaya) is that by having his representation we are following him and not his teachings.
Could you kindly furnish us with the relevant citation of this claim?
Again & again, I see this being brought up in past thread discussions and yet no such evidence of such claims exists, thus far...