Buddha Pendant

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
indian_buddhist

Buddha Pendant

Post by indian_buddhist »

I posted this in a forum elsewhere. Sorry if this is a repeated post. But I want advice from Theravada followers since I believe it is most closest to what the Buddha taught.

Im staying in India and it is hard to get Buddhist symbols like Dharmacakra since the religion is not very popular here. I have got a Pendant of Image of Buddha. I intend to wear that Pendant of Buddha near my chest.

I would like to know if the Buddha forbade the wearing of his images or if it takes us away from the Path of Dhamma or is it allowed to do so?.

(Note: My intention of wearing the Buddha Pendant is only to remember his teachings .)
Identification with my country is one of my fetters.
waterchan

Re: Buddha Pendant

Post by waterchan »

indian_buddhist wrote: I would like to know if the Buddha forbade the wearing of his images or if it takes us away from the Path of Dhamma or is it allowed to do so?.
I don't think the Buddha forbade it, although it certainly wasn't encouraged.

If a pendant helps you remember your practice in times of adversity, why not? As long as you remain aware that it is just a reminder and there's nothing magical about it. Practically it's not so different from Buddha statues and images that some people have in their homes; the Buddha didn't encourage those either.
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
indian_buddhist

[/quote]

I don't think the Buddha forbade it, although it certainly wasn't encouraged.

[/quote]

Thanks. What about wearing DharmaCakra and not Buddha Image ?. Ill try to get hold of DharmaCakra..
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

I don't think the dhamma-cakka is any better or worse to be honest, but I suppose its aniconic nature might be more in line with the Buddha's instruction that the best way to pay reverence to him was to put into practice his teaching. I would use whatever image inspires you.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

It's probably the biggest misconception among Buddhists. There is nothing wrong with making or wearing Buddha images, Dhamma-cakkas, etc. There is no prohibition by the Buddha or anyone else in the Canon.

(The biggest misconception among non-Buddhists is probably that the fat guy, Hotai -- is the Buddha.)
Bakmoon

Post by Bakmoon »

A lot of Theravadins wear Buddha pendants, especially in Thailand and Cambodia.

Although this has been criticized by some as being superstitious, this is mostly due to people claiming that pendants and amulets have magical powers rather than wearing it as a reminder. If it helps you to remember the Buddha's teachings, then I think that is a very good.
The non-doing of any evil,
The performance of what's skillful,
The cleansing of one's own mind:
This is the Buddhas' teaching.
indian_buddhist

Thank you everyone.
Ananda26

Post by Ananda26 »

indian_buddhist wrote:I posted this in a forum elsewhere. Sorry if this is a repeated post. But I want advice from Theravada followers since I believe it is most closest to what the Buddha taught.

Im staying in India and it is hard to get Buddhist symbols like Dharmacakra since the religion is not very popular here. I have got a Pendant of Image of Buddha. I intend to wear that Pendant of Buddha near my chest.

I would like to know if the Buddha forbade the wearing of his images or if it takes us away from the Path of Dhamma or is it allowed to do so?.

(Note: My intention of wearing the Buddha Pendant is only to remember his teachings .)
We can create more good jobs with Buddhism. For example when I visited India on my Pilgrimages the people liked to refer to the Japanese monk Venerable Guruji who had so many Peace Pagodas constructed in the world. See how many jobs and good things result from these Buddhist shrines. For example the Santi Stupa in Rajagaha.

India can put more people to work on Buddha Pendent and etc. types of devotional goods. In Thailand there are many devotional goods. Large groups of Thai people like to visit India on pilgrimages. Also I have seen the Tibetan people working on Buddhist goods. There is a lot in the Dharmasala area, etc.

If you would like to buy goods, you can visit the very developed Pilgriamage areas for Buddhist goods. For example Bodh Gaya is a very developed Pilgrimage area.
ArkA

Post by ArkA »

I heard that in Sri Lanka wearing buddha pendants is generally considered as a disrespect. The idea is that a fully purified person like the Buddha shouldn't be hanging below an impure head ;) Personally, I was unable to do that when I was a lay person. I guess, different people from different cultures have different ways. Some years back I read in an ancient Hindu text an incident where the god criticizing those who sold his statues, but the modern practice is totally different.

I don't remember a Sutta where the Buddha addressed this issue except saying, "Tathagatha is appatimo," where appatimo means impossible to make a model of.
I'll restart my yearlong meditation retreat on 15th June 2014, hence will not be here.

"Bhikkhus, there are these three things that shine when exposed, not when concealed. What three? (1) The moon. (2) The sun. (3) The Dhamma and discipline proclaimed by the Tathagata."
- Anguttara Nikaya, 3.131, Paticchanna Sutta

"Silence is the language of God; all else is poor translation."
– Rumi

Introduction: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20572
Dharmapala

Post by Dharmapala »

indian_buddhist wrote:I posted this in a forum elsewhere. Sorry if this is a repeated post. But I want advice from Theravada followers since I believe it is most closest to what the Buddha taught.

I don't think there is anything wearing an amulet to remind you of your faith and it is less permanent than a sak yant (Thai traditional tattoo) for if example you are going to a nightclub etc, you may be encouraged to leave at home, but when it is permanently scribed on your body you don't have that option.

You should also know if the said image is really Buddhist or otherwise, cause there are many things, which look similar to image of Buddha (Ayuthayan style, Phra Khun Paen) but are actually representing other faiths or beliefs.

Jon
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Bakmoon wrote:A lot of Theravadins wear Buddha pendants, especially in Thailand and Cambodia.

Although this has been criticized by some as being superstitious, this is mostly due to people claiming that pendants and amulets have magical powers rather than wearing it as a reminder. If it helps you to remember the Buddha's teachings, then I think that is a very good.
There's nothing wrong with wearing symbols like this, it's the attachment and superstition that usually goes with that kind of thing that's the problem, even if you know you're not attached or superstitious that's how it may look to others. I can see the advantage of it as a reminder, but if someone has to be reminded of the Buddhas teachings in this way then maybe they just aren't that into it. We're lucky we're not required to make ourselves look separate from everyone else with religious head coverings and wotnot.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah