Getting closer to being able to ordain

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.

Getting closer to being able to ordain

Postby Kasina » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:23 pm

Good day everyone.

I recently had the good luck of getting another job ( :woohoo: ), and I found out I only owe about 3,000 dollars in debt...

My question now is, how do I start preparing myself so I can be sure to succeed as a monastic? I've been cutting down the time I spend watching movies and playing games, and I'm going for complete celibacy (which isn't much of a problem for me). I've still got a few months of work ahead of me, and I plan to start visiting the monastery I hope to ordain at.

Does anybody have any advice they can share?

Metta, Josh.
:anjali:
"This world completely lacks essence;
It trembles in all directions.
I longed to find myself a place
Unscathed — but I could not see it."

Sn 4.15 PTS: Sn 935-951 "Attadanda Sutta: Arming Oneself"

"You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go... This is the curse at work, the curse that feeds on all life..."

Wilbur Mercer in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Kasina

Re: Getting closer to being able to ordain

Postby appicchato » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:48 pm

Chill...in, or out of, the robes, you'll still be yourself...just try to be open, and go with the flow...(depending on where you're ordaining) you'll be told what is expected of you...

Google is your friend...so is google saffron, buddhisma2z, accesstoinsight, buddhanet, etc...read up on what to look forward to...

Two of my favorite sayings: 'No expectations, no disappointments...and in the immortal words of Ajahn Chah: 'Don't be anything'...

PM me if you've got any specific queries you can't find the answers to...

All the best...
appicchato

Postby Chi » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:13 pm

Start looking at the ground 2-4 steps in front of you when you walk. Meditate more?
Do Good, Avoid Evil, Purify the Mind.
Chi

Postby Sokehi » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:44 pm

Contemplate the five precepts and if you so wish pick some more up to the eight precepts

try to reduce sense impressions and excitements. try to avoid concerts, shows, cinema and tv as much as possible. this to prepare yourself for the frustrating experiences when your habits will be challenged in monastic enviroments.

try to avoid intimate "situations" with women/men.

basically implement a monastic behaviour step by step into your laylife yet.

start to enjoy being alone

this is my advice :)
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr
Sokehi

Return to Ordination and Monastic Life