Lifetime Medicines

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
K.Dhamma

Lifetime Medicines

Post by K.Dhamma »

What are the rules for ordination/remaining ordained for those individuals who have or acquire a lifetime illness? Such as Type 1 Diabetes, Autoimmune diseases, etc?
Also, if they are allowed to ordain what are the rules for the medicine requirements they may choose to take?
"Remember you dont meditate to get anything, but to get rid of things. We do it, not with desire, but with letting go. If you want anything, you wont find it." - Ajahn Chah
K.Dhamma

Re: Lifetime Medicines

Post by K.Dhamma »

I haven't seen a reply to this yet. I ask because I think I have an auto-immune disorder. I will find out shortly, but just wondering what my options are because I do plan to ordain in the next year.
"Remember you dont meditate to get anything, but to get rid of things. We do it, not with desire, but with letting go. If you want anything, you wont find it." - Ajahn Chah
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

I'll write you a reply when I get to a proper computer in a week or so, but I'm limited with typing right now. Stay tuned!
Meanwhile, I'm sure the others will contribute sooner or later.
Best wishes with your health.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
kryptos

Post by kryptos »

Send letters to many monasteries asking about your intention and your health limitations and wait for the replies. I think there is a solution for your case. Probably, the abbot will assess if his monastery have condition to periodically buy the necessary medicines or if some lay follower (supporter) would be interested in helping you. I think that there are solutions because no healthy monk is free from developing a certain disease after his ordination.
:anjali:
melancholy

Post by melancholy »

K.Dhamma wrote:What are the rules for ordination/remaining ordained for those individuals who have or acquire a lifetime illness? Such as Type 1 Diabetes, Autoimmune diseases, etc?
Also, if they are allowed to ordain what are the rules for the medicine requirements they may choose to take?
1) for your first question, please download this pdf http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... o/bmc2.pdf (the page: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... .html#bmc2) and read pages 194 and 195.

if lazy, searching for this "2) Those with serious, disfiguring, or communicable diseases". on the pdf will take you there. :)

2) for the second question, only thing you should worry is the continuous supply. if you have relatives or friends who wish to supply that is the best way. some/most non-asian monasteries like bodhyana also very good at taking care of the sick monks.

edit: on a second thought, please do not ordain in asia. i know several incidents where extremely rich monasteries neglect helping sick foreign monks. all may not be the same but why take chances.

hope this helped you!
all the best wishes for your dhamma journey!
Power can make things disappear, so does me :D

Then the Blessed One said to Ven. Ananda, "Now, if it occurs to any of you — 'The teaching has lost its authority; we are without a Teacher' — do not view it in that way. Whatever Dhamma & Vinaya I have pointed out & formulated for you, that will be your Teacher when I am gone.

-Dīgha Nikāya 16, Mahāparinibbāna Sutta

gO tO wORK, gET mARRIED, hAVE sOME kIDS;
wATCH yOUR tV, fOLLOW fASHION, aCT nORMAL;
pAY yOUR tAXES, pAY yOUR bILLS, oBEY tHE lAW;
aND rEPEAT aFTER mE: "i aM fREE."