Nikayas

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
indian_buddhist

Nikayas

Post by indian_buddhist »

Hello,

I have Digha Nikaya, Majjima, Anguttara Nikaya with me right now and Samayutta Nikaya will arrive in the next month or so.

Can anyone tell me if I can start with Digha Nikaya/Majjhima Nikaya and then later refer to Samyutta Nikaya or is SN important not to ignore since I will have access to it only after month....
Identification with my country is one of my fetters.
retrofuturist

Re: Nikayas

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Given what you've said, my recommended sequence would be MN, SN, AN, DN.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
indian_buddhist

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Given what you've said, my recommended sequence would be MN, SN, AN, DN.

Metta,
Retro. :)
Thanks.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I recommend just following your heart — read whatever engages your interest. Don't restrict yourself by following any unnatural pattern. The Buddha did not start by teaching the Brahmajāla Sutta, then the Sāmaññaphala Sutta, etc. He taught to suit his audience, as the occasion arose.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Whomever the Buddha taught, he taught gradually, according to where they were, as the Venerable says.

So, I would study up on the gradual training, begin doing it, and use the rest of your resources to resolve questions based on that beginning.

:heart:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
indian_buddhist

daverupa wrote:Whomever the Buddha taught, he taught gradually, according to where they were, as the Venerable says.

So, I would study up on the gradual training, begin doing it, and use the rest of your resources to resolve questions based on that beginning.

:heart:
Thank you all for your very kind replies and help.

I want to go deeper into the Dhamma. But right now I am in Home (not homelessness). Can I still study these great scriptures?. The thing is NOT that I am not interested. The fact is that I am deeply interested. Can a Layman study the Nikayas?.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

indian_buddhist wrote:I want to go deeper into the Dhamma. But right now I am in Home (not homelessness). Can I still study these great scriptures?. The thing is NOT that I am not interested. The fact is that I am deeply interested. But there is one more thing, the thing that I could be married in the future - (In 1 year maybe). I do not want to disrespect the Dhamma by studying the scriptures and then get married.
Married or not, one should study the Suttas and practice meditation.

If you're thinking of getting married, better study the Kāma Sutta. :hug:
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Of course you can study them. I found Bhikkhu Bodhi's collection In the Buddha's Words to be invaluable when starting, as he lays out the suttas in a gradual training format.
However, since you have, or will have, most of Nikayas anyway, you could use this thread:
In the Buddha's Words - Open Source Version
as an initial guide to get started. Bhikkhu Bodhi's introductory comments for each chapter are linked there.
As explained in post, Bhikkhu Bodhi has a series of talks based on that book. He also has a series on the Majjhima Nikaya that follows the same pattern:
http://bodhimonastery.org/a-systematic- ... ikaya.html

As Bhikkhu Pesala says, you eventually have to follow your heart. However, I have found guidance from experts invaluable.

:anjali:
Mike
indian_buddhist

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
indian_buddhist wrote:I want to go deeper into the Dhamma. But right now I am in Home (not homelessness). Can I still study these great scriptures?. The thing is NOT that I am not interested. The fact is that I am deeply interested. But there is one more thing, the thing that I could be married in the future - (In 1 year maybe). I do not want to disrespect the Dhamma by studying the scriptures and then get married.
Married or not, one should study the Suttas and practice meditation.

If you're thinking of getting married, better study the Kāma Sutta. :hug:
I am sorry for deeply offending you Ven. Bhikkhu. As you can see I have no control over my tongue. I will try to maintain the dignity which is suitable for understanding the Dhamma.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

indian_buddhist wrote:I am sorry for deeply offending you Ven. Bhikkhu. As you can see I have no control over my tongue. I will try to maintain the dignity which is suitable for understanding the Dhamma.
What are you talking about? What did you say to offend me even slightly, let alone deeply? There seems to be a language problem or culture gap here.
indian_buddhist

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
indian_buddhist wrote:I am sorry for deeply offending you Ven. Bhikkhu. As you can see I have no control over my tongue. I will try to maintain the dignity which is suitable for understanding the Dhamma.
What are you talking about? What did you say to offend me even slightly, let alone deeply? There seems to be a language problem or culture gap here.
Ven. Bhikkhu Pesala...The reason is because i felt it was wrong to talk to a Monk about topic like me getting married.
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

indian_buddhist, don't listen to those other namby-pamby Buddhists. REAL Buddhists begin their studies with the Abhidhamma Pitaka and THEN go back to the suttas so that they can explain them to the lesser Buddhists.

Just kidding. Just kidding.

SN is the only Nikaya that's organized by topic, so you can start with that if you like structure. The other nikayas are completely unstructured. And loosen up, man. You're too tense! You're not in a monastery. And you can talk with Buddhist monks about pretty much anything.
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
ArkA

Post by ArkA »

waterchan wrote:indian_buddhist, don't listen to those other namby-pamby Buddhists. REAL Buddhists begin their studies with the Abhidhamma Pitaka and THEN go back to the suttas so that they can explain them to the lesser Buddhists.

Just kidding. Just kidding.

SN is the only Nikaya that's organized by topic, so you can start with that if you like structure. The other nikayas are completely unstructured. And loosen up, man. You're too tense! You're not in a monastery. And you can talk with Buddhist monks about pretty much anything.
No, no. REAL Buddhists start with sub-sub-sub commentaries, then sub-sub, then sub, then only Abhidhamma Pitaka. Becasue Buddhaghosa knew better.

Just kidding.

I too agree with waterchan, Samyutta Nikaya considered by scholars as the most authentic and overall, including Master Yin Shun.
I'll restart my yearlong meditation retreat on 15th June 2014, hence will not be here.

"Bhikkhus, there are these three things that shine when exposed, not when concealed. What three? (1) The moon. (2) The sun. (3) The Dhamma and discipline proclaimed by the Tathagata."
- Anguttara Nikaya, 3.131, Paticchanna Sutta

"Silence is the language of God; all else is poor translation."
– Rumi

Introduction: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20572