Ordain-Buddhadasa, HELP!

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
sona

Ordain-Buddhadasa, HELP!

Post by sona »

^_^ _()_

I am a Asian guy and I want to be ordained in a theravada monestery.
My english is mediocre, so please excuse this poor writing.
I have definately chose a meditation method which is the Anapanasati in the system of Ven. Buddhadasa.
So perhaps it would be ideal if I could be ordained in the Wat Suan Mokkh which doesn't receive foreigners.
Does anyone know his successor who could eventually become my teacher?
I don't mind in which country he resides, though I prefer a monastery in forest for my ordination and monk life.

_()__()__()_
appicchato

Re: Ordain-Buddhadasa, HELP!

Post by appicchato »

The internet can/may be your teacher...(most) everything Buddhadasa said is available to you...as well as the teaching of so many others...not to mention the Original...

Tough to believe Suan Mohk doesn't ordain foreign nationals...might want to investigate further...
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

appicchato wrote:The internet can/may be your teacher...(most) everything Buddhadasa said is available to you...as well as the teaching of so many others...not to mention the Original...
Not a substitute for a real live, breathing, listening, and talking experienced teacher.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I thought that some of the teachers in this forum are real live, breathing, listening, and talking with experience. :shrug:
Please pardon my ignorance as I never had a living teacher with whom I discuss issues face to face.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

I think it makes a difference if you can do your practice with at least some genuine practitioners (both experienced and inexperienced) in real life.

There is a kind of buffer on the internet, so there's something missing.

There's also quite a bit of actions going on here which are unbenefical, even on this forum. This can influence your practice if it wasn't solid, or you're not careful.

Reading about Dhamma and listening to the talks online are great... but I think it's like reading a recipe book. It needs to be seen in action... even with warts and all.

It can be "felt" in real life... I don't think this is something you can get through a video online.

:anjali:
Last edited by beeblebrox on Fri May 02, 2014 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Thanks.
I think it is a bit of mix and match I suppose. :)
========
There are also three ways of looking for information from outside the Canon
to fill in these gaps. The first is to ask for advice from living people who are
proficient in breath meditation. The Canon itself encourages this approach in AN
4:94, which advises you to approach a person skilled in insight and tranquility
and to ask for instructions on how to develop those qualities in your own mind.
Similarly, AN 9:36 recommends asking those who are skilled in attaining and
emerging from both the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception
and the cessation of perception and feeling for instruction in how to attain and
emerge from those dimensions. The same principle applies here.
The second way to look outside the Canon for information that will fill in the
gaps in the four tetrads is to experiment on your own. The Canon implicitly
advises this method in passages where it makes distinctions without explaining
them.
The third way to look outside the Canon for information that will fill in the
gaps in the four tetrads is to consult books dealing with these topics. Normally
this would include the commentarial literature—such as the Visuddhimagga
(Path of Purity) or the commentaries and sub-commentaries on the various
sections of the Canon—but in the case of breath meditation, this literature
diverges widely from what the Canon has to say.

Page 87

http://www.dhammatalks.org/Archive/Writ ... 120810.pdf
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
ArkA

Post by ArkA »

SarathW wrote:Normally this would include the commentarial literature—such as the Visuddhimagga (Path of Purity) or the commentaries and sub-commentaries
Seriously SarathW. Do you think Buddhaghosa knew better? For example, in Visuddhimagga IX, 111 and IX, 113, he gives a totally wrong meaning to the Sankhitta Sutta. BTW, this is not my finding, I came across it here on page 34 under the heading "Disappearance of the True Dhamma".

We should not forget the Kalama Sutta and "The Four Great References" in Maha-parinibbana Sutta.

Metta :)
I'll restart my yearlong meditation retreat on 15th June 2014, hence will not be here.

"Bhikkhus, there are these three things that shine when exposed, not when concealed. What three? (1) The moon. (2) The sun. (3) The Dhamma and discipline proclaimed by the Tathagata."
- Anguttara Nikaya, 3.131, Paticchanna Sutta

"Silence is the language of God; all else is poor translation."
– Rumi

Introduction: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20572