I am a "buddha"

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
TheNoBSBuddhist

Re: I am a "buddha"

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

This thread appears in the index with the image of a little paper clip.

When I place my 'mouse' indicator on it, I see it means 'attachments'.... :jumping:

Some words are good.
But when they're dressed up and presented as :meditate:
They stick in our craw, and go against the grain.

Let's try to not let this particular piece of food choke our understanding, or rub us up the wrong way.

Take what is useful, leave aside what is insignificant, but respect the what we perceive to be the 'Delusion' behind it all.
Don't we all demonstrate a bit of that?

After all, even horse manure has its uses....
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
gben

Post by gben »

purple planet wrote:Hello and welcome to the forum its nice you joined :twothumbsup: maybe you can take part in the debate in other threads :hello:

Thank you,for the welcome. A debate is between two things, Since there are only two things to debate, only one debate is necessary..
TheNoBSBuddhist

gben wrote:
purple planet wrote:Hello and welcome to the forum its nice you joined :twothumbsup: maybe you can take part in the debate in other threads :hello:

Thank you,for the welcome. A debate is between two things, Since there are only two things to debate, only one debate is necessary..
Not so.
I have researched the subject, and taken part in many myself.
Nowhere does it say that a debate is between two things.

A debate usually concerns but one subject matter, and may involve many views.
Therefore, purple planet is quite correct in his invitation.

If you chose to demur on such an invitation, that is your personal choice.

And loss, might I add.

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
gben

Post by gben »

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:But I can't help but think, "You must be the life and soul at parties".:namaste:

Those who can not help but think will never recognize a buddha at a party, in this forum thread, or anywhere. The Buddha appears as any to them.
Someone can walk up to you and say that they are a buddha, you will never know unless you are a buddha. A mechanical engineer can not talk to two who say they are rocket scientists and tell which actually is.

The buddha is seamlessly invisible or visible at will as is needed. The thinking has a name, the rest does not.

Only a buddha can look at what is, the world,all worlds, life, including all texts and words attributed to every philosopher, buddha and holy man and see what is real and what is not. Whereas thinking may spend forever clinging to one falsehood and never know it.
gben

Post by gben »

Viscid wrote:However all of this is beside my ACTUAL point which was that regarding yourself as a superior class of individual is an obstacle to overcome.

Putting one part of the world above another is what needs to be overcome. It is thinking that puts a buddha above the rest of the world, or itself below one.

Making the buddha above, below, different or there and not here is exactly what makes the buddha above, below, different and not here.

Who will choose the monks to poke a buddha? The only difference between a monk and anyone else is that they call themselves a monk.

The only person who sees people are those who separate them from the rest of life.
gben

Post by gben »

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:I have researched the subject, and taken part in many myself.
Nowhere does it say that a debate is between two things..

Your world will contain as many objects as you need it to. First you separated yourself from the world to create yourself. Then you looked at what was left and divided it into the words of your dictionary.

For a buddha there are only two things to debate, your world and the real world. Pitting the words in a dictionary against other words in the dictionary only creates more words in the dictionary.
Last edited by gben on Sat May 03, 2014 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheNoBSBuddhist

gben wrote:[quote="TheNoBSBuddhist"I have researched the subject, and taken part in many myself.
Nowhere does it say that a debate is between two things..

Your world will contain as many objects as you need it to. First you separated yourself from the world to create yourself. Then you looked at what was left and divided it into the words of your dictionary.

For a buddha there are only two things to debate, your world and the real world. Pitting the words in a dictionary against other words in the dictionary only creates more words in the dictionary.
Now you're just being a smart-arse.

'Your world' and 'the real world' are one and the same. Non-duality.
You cannot separate the two.

Your World and The Real World are one and the same. Drop the veil of delusion my friend.
You are just as 'mistaken' as the rest of us.

m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

Welcome gben. Stick around and take things in, you might find it interesting. Also you might want to check out dharmaoverground.org.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
SDC

Post by SDC »

An awakened being would have no use for such a charade. In fact they would know it would do more harm than good. :zzz:
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
ArkA

Post by ArkA »

Is it LSD, cocaine ... Daniel Ingram?

May be he is the reincarnation of Chögyam Trungpa. Crazy wisdom!
I'll restart my yearlong meditation retreat on 15th June 2014, hence will not be here.

"Bhikkhus, there are these three things that shine when exposed, not when concealed. What three? (1) The moon. (2) The sun. (3) The Dhamma and discipline proclaimed by the Tathagata."
- Anguttara Nikaya, 3.131, Paticchanna Sutta

"Silence is the language of God; all else is poor translation."
– Rumi

Introduction: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20572
beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

gben wrote:Your world will contain as many objects as you need it to. First you separated yourself from the world to create yourself. Then you looked at what was left and divided it into the words of your dictionary.

Hi GBen,

This seems to be very similar to paticca-samuppada (or the dependent arising). More specifically, the arising of consciousness and the nama-rupas (names and forms) associated with it.

It is true that some people live by their dictionary... it's essentially a book of namarupas.
TheNoBSBuddhist wrote: 'Your world' and 'the real world' are one and the same.
I disagree with this. Many people live in their own world.
gben wrote:Whereas thinking may spend forever clinging to one falsehood and never know it.
How true that is. What happens if the person started to think that he was the Buddha, and then keeps on clinging to it?
gben wrote:The buddha is seamlessly invisible or visible at will as is needed.
This reminds me of the Lotus Sutra, except there is something which makes it a bit different. It says that the Buddha arises when there are people who are gentle, reverent and upright, but then that he disappears when people are perverse and arrogant. (Chapter 16, "The Lifespan of Tathagata.")

In any case, welcome to the forum GBen and please stick around.

:anjali:
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

gben wrote:I am a "buddha"
Oh! I am honoured. Don't know what to say. Wait! Er... Am I dreaming or in the wrong place?
TheNoBSBuddhist

beeblebrox wrote:
You're absolutely right; they may well do.

This does not negate their delusion, and mean that the two are not one and the same. They are.

but 'Many people' do not realise this.

Therein lies the difference.

Viscid

Post by Viscid »

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:
beeblebrox wrote:
You're absolutely right; they may well do.

This does not negate their delusion, and mean that the two are not one and the same. They are.
If we could perhaps introduce an attempt at clarity:

'My world' consists of relationships between myself and the world around me. I have relationships with other people, my home, my emotions, etc.. and those relationships may be quite different from your relationships with the world. It wouldn't make sense to say that 'my world' and 'your world' are ultimately the same in this sense.

'The world,' I interpret, is the shared, objective world which can be measured empirically by science. It's external to me, cool and unsympathetic.

Conventionally, these worlds are separate (there is a distinct 'inner' and 'outer,') however, it's possible to realize these two realms as being ultimately unified: how we come to know the objective world is 'through' the personal world. Knower, knowing and known are ultimately unified. [Epistemological Monism?]

While the nondual view is certainly interesting.. I never could figure out why it even matters. How does nonduality relate to our practice? What value does it have to a Theravadin? Why is it important?
Last edited by Viscid on Fri May 02, 2014 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Viscid wrote:While the nondual view is certainly interesting.. I never could figure out why it even matters. How does nonduality relate to our practice? What value does it have to a Theravadin? Why is it important?
This is either Advaita Vedanta or Heart Sutra stuff, else it's an oblique reference to anti-cognition from Zen or perhaps Nagarjuna's Two Truths doctrine.

None of that applies to the Dhamma, as far as I can tell.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]