What music are you listening to right now?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Sekha

Re: What music are you listening to right now?

Post by Sekha »

It probably won't sound like you would imagine from seeing the cover

Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SDC

Post by SDC »

A suite by Duke Ellington and Billy Strayhorn - two of the great composers of the last century.

“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
SDC

Post by SDC »

Early '70s Duke Ellington

“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

everyone can be good or bad everyone has a heaven and hell inside him

the less that you give your a taker
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

• "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
SDC

Post by SDC »

Gertrude Pridgett, also know as "Ma Rainey"

SDC

Post by SDC »

daverupa wrote:
That was awesome. I need to stop fussing and find a way to approach electronic music. There is soooooo much good stuff to choose from.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

SDC wrote:
daverupa wrote:
That was awesome. I need to stop fussing and find a way to approach electronic music. There is soooooo much good stuff to choose from.
Yeah, it's pretty overwhelming, even for seasoned veterans. There are so many genres, styles, artists, and just a massive quantity of music. I think there are styles for every particular taste in the world of electronic music. The hard, but fun, part is finding the ones that suit you.

Here's a cool and calming classic from 1976!

Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

SDC wrote:That was awesome. I need to stop fussing and find a way to approach electronic music. There is soooooo much good stuff to choose from.
<ahem>

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 00#p279637

:heart:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Mkoll wrote:Yeah, it's pretty overwhelming, even for seasoned veterans. There are so many genres, styles, artists, and just a massive quantity of music. I think there are styles for every particular taste in the world of electronic music. The hard, but fun, part is finding the ones that suit you.

Here's a cool and calming classic from 1976!

Thanks, Mkoll. That was great. Overwhelming is the perfect word. And - correct me if I'm wrong - but it doesn't seem to share the same cohesiveness of many other forms of music (which is fine). Perhaps this has to do with its more technical, experimental origins in the early 19th century by engineers and technicians in studios and labs, as opposed to a genre using traditional instruments in public performance - I don't know. It seems equally at home no matter where it is happening in the world. And that makes it extremely hard to track and follow, unlike jazz for instance which can be fairly easily tracked from the streets of New Orleans to now. For me, I like to do a scary amount of research into the music I listen to (purely for the joy of it) and I think electronic may require the discovery of many different roots instead of just one. So I guess I just have to pick and artist, dive in and when the trail runs dry pick another.
daverupa wrote:
SDC wrote:That was awesome. I need to stop fussing and find a way to approach electronic music. There is soooooo much good stuff to choose from.
<ahem>

Thank you, Dave. That's a start!
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

SDC wrote:And - correct me if I'm wrong - but it doesn't seem to share the same cohesiveness of many other forms of music (which is fine). Perhaps this has to do with its more technical, experimental origins in the early 19th century by engineers and technicians in studios and labs, as opposed to a genre using traditional instruments in public performance - I don't know. It seems equally at home no matter where it is happening in the world. And that makes it extremely hard to track and follow, unlike jazz for instance which can be fairly easily tracked from the streets of New Orleans to now.
I completely agree. Today, a single person with just a computer and software can make and record music that would have been impossible for an individual to do 50 years ago.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

daverupa wrote:
<ahem>

Digitally Imported! Nice to see they're still going strong. They've really expanded their selection, I see.

:woohoo:
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

streaming http://www.di.fm/chillout ~

(My mother considers all this "water torture with elevator music", but she used to sing for the Utah Opera.)

Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

uplifting :candle:

If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters