[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Dhamma Wheel • View topic - What would you do if you saw a freezing child?

What would you do if you saw a freezing child?

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.

What would you do if you saw a freezing child?

Postby PimonratC » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:33 pm

.









:smile: ... :heart:




.
PimonratC
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:03 am

Re: What would you do if you saw a freezing child?

Postby Sam Vara » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:48 pm

That's really heartwarming stuff. Sadly, in my country it would be difficult for men on their own to intervene, because of the widespread fear of being thought to be a paedophile.
User avatar
Sam Vara
 
Posts: 1118
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: What would you do if you saw a freezing child?

Postby waterchan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:31 pm

Apparently Norway is a warm country :)
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
User avatar
waterchan
 
Posts: 471
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 7:17 pm
Location: Sereitei


Re: What would you do if you saw a freezing child?

Postby david.sojourn » Wed May 07, 2014 3:58 pm

Sam Vara wrote:That's really heartwarming stuff. Sadly, in my country it would be difficult for men on their own to intervene, because of the widespread fear of being thought to be a paedophile.


Also true in America.

I fear to look in the general direction of a playground, not because I have any ill intention, but because the Ignorance and Fear of the parents is so strong, the first assumption in their minds is that I must be a danger to their child.

Little do they know, we condition our own fates.

The world is isolating itself through fear and Ignorance. It's very apparent in America, where people simply don't interact with one another at all, unless they absolutely have to.

*Shrug*

I'm sure the Apocalypse will sort it out. Just as soon as we get these World Wars underway....
david.sojourn
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 5:42 pm

Re: What would you do if you saw a freezing child?

Postby Mkoll » Wed May 07, 2014 6:10 pm

These sort of social experiments always make me feel uncomfortable. People are lying and deceiving each other in the name of social science. At least this one worked out well, unlike Milgram or Stanford.

david.sojourn wrote:
Sam Vara wrote:That's really heartwarming stuff. Sadly, in my country it would be difficult for men on their own to intervene, because of the widespread fear of being thought to be a paedophile.


Also true in America.

I fear to look in the general direction of a playground, not because I have any ill intention, but because the Ignorance and Fear of the parents is so strong, the first assumption in their minds is that I must be a danger to their child.

Little do they know, we condition our own fates.

The world is isolating itself through fear and Ignorance. It's very apparent in America, where people simply don't interact with one another at all, unless they absolutely have to.

*Shrug*

I'm sure the Apocalypse will sort it out. Just as soon as we get these World Wars underway....


That isn't cynical. At all. And I'm not being sarcastic. At all.
Peace,
James
User avatar
Mkoll
 
Posts: 4146
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:55 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: What would you do if you saw a freezing child?

Postby PimonratC » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:03 pm

Beautiful ^___^
PimonratC
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:03 am

Re: What would you do if you saw a freezing child?

Postby martinfrank » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:19 pm

There are moments in life
When you have to follow your heart
When Life calls you
Will you answer "present"?
The Noble Eightfold Path: Proposed to all, imposed on none.
User avatar
martinfrank
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:55 am
Location: Zurich, Switzerland

Re: What would you do if you saw a freezing child?

Postby SarathW » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:32 am

Is that all we can do to a freezing child?

I saw this woman in the street sleeping with her three children. (Say age 6,5,3)
I gave her some money to by the lunch.

I asked my self:

Is that all I can do?
:thinking:
SarathW
 
Posts: 2736
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: What would you do if you saw a freezing child?

Postby martinfrank » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:27 am

SarathW wrote:Is that all we can do to a freezing child?

I saw this woman in the street sleeping with her three children. (Say age 6,5,3)
I gave her some money to by the lunch.

I asked my self:

Is that all I can do?
:thinking:


Image

We can watch "Buddha's Lost Children"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJcn8SRQNoM

and contribute to the Foundation which keeps them fed, clothed and cared for

http://waikhru.com/
The Noble Eightfold Path: Proposed to all, imposed on none.
User avatar
martinfrank
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:55 am
Location: Zurich, Switzerland

Re: What would you do if you saw a freezing child?

Postby santa100 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:42 pm

SarathW wrote:I saw this woman in the street sleeping with her three children. (Say age 6,5,3)
I gave her some money to by the lunch.
I asked my self:
Is that all I can do?

Use http://www.charitynavigator.org/, search for areas you want to help and then contribute..
santa100
 
Posts: 1603
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:55 pm

Re: What would you do if you saw a freezing child?

Postby Spiny Norman » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:02 pm

santa100 wrote:
SarathW wrote:I saw this woman in the street sleeping with her three children. (Say age 6,5,3)
I gave her some money to by the lunch.
I asked my self:
Is that all I can do?

Use http://www.charitynavigator.org/, search for areas you want to help and then contribute..


This year I've been doing some voluntary work on a scheme befriending older people. Sometimes small things can make a big difference.
"I ride tandem with the random, Things don't run the way I planned them, In the humdrum."
Peter Gabriel lyric
User avatar
Spiny Norman
 
Posts: 3155
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:32 am
Location: Spam, wonderful spam

Re: What would you do if you saw a freezing child?

Postby santa100 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:49 pm

That's good work too. The suffering due to neglect and loneliness old people are facing in Western world's nursing homes is just as terrible as the hunger of children in other parts of the world..
santa100
 
Posts: 1603
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:55 pm

Re: What would you do if you saw a freezing child?

Postby Spiny Norman » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:01 pm

santa100 wrote:That's good work too. The suffering due to neglect and loneliness old people are facing in Western world's nursing homes is just as terrible as the hunger of children in other parts of the world..


With an ageing population in the west it's only to get more difficult. Here in the UK there are regularly news stories about abuse of older people.
Part of the problem I think is that care workers have very low status, minimum wage, etc.
"I ride tandem with the random, Things don't run the way I planned them, In the humdrum."
Peter Gabriel lyric
User avatar
Spiny Norman
 
Posts: 3155
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:32 am
Location: Spam, wonderful spam

Re: What would you do if you saw a freezing child?

Postby martinfrank » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:41 pm

santa100 wrote:That's good work too. The suffering due to neglect and loneliness old people are facing in Western world's nursing homes is just as terrible as the hunger of children in other parts of the world..


Most hungry African children are probably more than ready to move to a first world nursing home, while very, very few inmates of first world nursing homes would be ready to move to a roadside in Africa and sleep below the floor of a small shop... not to speak of too little food, dirty water, constant threat of getting abused and/or killed... not to speak of neglect and loneliness beyond (obviously) your imagination.

You compare two things as unequal as dying of boredom and dying of hunger.
The Noble Eightfold Path: Proposed to all, imposed on none.
User avatar
martinfrank
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:55 am
Location: Zurich, Switzerland

Re: What would you do if you saw a freezing child?

Postby santa100 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:58 pm

martinfrank wrote:Most hungry African children are probably more than ready to move to a first world nursing home, while very, very few inmates of first world nursing homes would be ready to move to a roadside in Africa and sleep below the floor of a small shop... not to speak of too little food, dirty water, constant threat of getting abused and/or killed... not to speak of neglect and loneliness beyond (obviously) your imagination.

You compare two things as unequal as dying of boredom and dying of hunger.

Well, if you see it that way, you can always try my original option with charitynavigator.org then.. :anjali:
santa100
 
Posts: 1603
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:55 pm

Re: What would you do if you saw a freezing child?

Postby PimonratC » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:32 am

.


:bow: :bow: :bow: ... Really Thank you for the good things in the world ...



.
PimonratC
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:03 am


Re: What would you do if you saw a freezing child?

Postby manas » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:45 pm

Back when I was a younger man, I was once approached by a boy who looked to be about 11 years old. He asked me if I could give some money. I guess I was a bit naive at the time, and was sincerely taken aback, saying "don't you have anyone to take care of you?" to which he just shook his head. I have never forgotten how, looking at his outstretched hand, I noticed it was virtually blackened with dirt. I thought to myself, "can someone this young really just be living on the streets, and be neglected as much as this?" I gave him what I felt I could afford at the time, and went on my way. After I got onto my train, he seemed to want to ask me something else, as though my dismay at his situation made him feel cared for, just for a moment, but then the train left. I still think of him from time to time, and hope that he ended up being able to get a decent education, and a more stable life than what he was experiencing back then. I've never forgotten that outstretched hand, blacked with dirt and grime, and the look in his eyes attempting to hide his vulnerability behind a veneer of tough indifference.
User avatar
manas
 
Posts: 2192
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:04 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: What would you do if you saw a freezing child?

Postby Anagarika » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:35 am

martinfrank wrote:
SarathW wrote:Is that all we can do to a freezing child?

I saw this woman in the street sleeping with her three children. (Say age 6,5,3)
I gave her some money to by the lunch.

I asked my self:

Is that all I can do?
:thinking:


Image

We can watch "Buddha's Lost Children"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJcn8SRQNoM

and contribute to the Foundation which keeps them fed, clothed and cared for

http://waikhru.com/



Martin, it was very kind that you mentioned, www.waikhru.com, above. This is an effort that I started some years ago, and each year bring funds over to the Golden Horse Temple, and Khru Baa. This year, I had raised funds to provide Muay Thai gear for the children, which I delivered earlier this year, as well as to send funds to contribute to Khru Baa's medical expenses, after his (moderate) stroke this year. But, what I have done is a tiny, tiny drop in the bucket. I only wish there were more full fledged efforts to raise funds for his Wat. One approach is for people on Facebook to link to https://www.facebook.com/goldenhorsemonastery . The author of this Facebook page is connected with the Golden Horse Temple, and I believe is a relative of Khru Baa. I feel that if more people know of Khru Baa and his work rescuing children from the areas around Chiang Rai, Thailand, they'd want to help. The funding for feeding and caring for the children comes through daily dana, and an account set up through the regional Thai Sangha, along with other sources.

I've been to his Wat a number of times. It's an experience any visitor to Northern Thailand should experience. He's the real deal, and the other monks, nuns and the kids there are amazing. People from around the world visit to provide dana and to visit with Khru Baa and the Wat.

I didn't mean to toot my own horn...it's very nice that you found the site amidst the millions of websites out there. I've been lucky from my vocation to earn some excess funds beyond what is needed for a simple life, and try to give back a bit. Again, drops of water in the ocean. I'm crazy enough to hope that with time, I can do more to raise funds for issues of interest to me ( anti-sex trafficking in Thailand, medical equipment to the new Fang, Thailand hospital) through various projects.
User avatar
Anagarika
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:25 pm

Next

Return to Dhammic Stories

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests