Buddhism And The Scientific Method

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Buddhism And The Scientific Method

Post by DNS »

Mawkish1983 wrote: The compatibility is one of the factors that originally made Buddhism SO appealing to me.
Me too.

Great posts above (after mine), good points.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

appicchato wrote: It does because we're here, although all the work is about what is upstairs...I won't belabor the point, it's just my take on it... :smile: [/i]
Hi Bhante,

Okay.

By the way, you have got to be the best photographer ever . . . okay, I know, "have I met every photographer in the past, present, and future, no " . . . then perhaps the best photographer I have seen. If you ever go to Bodh Gaya, take some pictures for me!!
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Individual wrote:Science can be seen as inferior to or distinct from Buddhism
I choose answer B.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

TheDhamma wrote:By the way...If you ever go to Bodh Gaya, take some pictures for me!!
Thank you David...I hope to get there before long, and certainly will... :smile:
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

I like the fact that Buddhism and Science are not at odds with one another, I still like to think of Science as the exploration of relative truth, and Buddhism as the exploration of ultimate truth.

To that end there's a lot Buddhism can offer Science.

I think that the relationship that Buddhism and Science could be beneficial for all. I think there's probably quite a few people in the field of science who are searching for the Dhamma - Not that they know it yet...
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
flyingOx

Post by flyingOx »

I'm a scientist. To those who think that science and Buddhism don't and won't mix, then which would you prefer? Would you like those of us who are scientists also practicing the Noble Eightfold path, influencing our industry with morality towards animals, the environment, and humanity, or would you like those of us who are scientists to be amoral and in it for nothing but the money?

Also, I was planning on working as a scientist saving all of my money so that I could donate it all to Buddhist organizations when I finally retire to become an ordained monk. I ask you again, "Are you sure that science and Buddhism can't mix?"
One is encouraged to seek the truth, but be warned if you ever find it, you will be treated as blasphemous.
zavk

Post by zavk »

Hi FlyingOx,

I don't think anyone is saying that science and Buddhism cannot mutually inform each other. From what I have read, I don't think anyone here is saying 'Buddhism and science are not compatible'. The word 'compatible' has been mentioned a few times. Looking at the definition of the word compatible from dictionary.com, it says:

1.capable of existing or living together in harmony: the most compatible married couple I know.
2.able to exist together with something else: Prejudice is not compatible with true religion.
3.consistent; congruous (often fol. by with): His claims are not compatible with the facts.

There are other definitions relating electronics and computing but I won't list them here.

Following these definition of 'compatible' I think most people would say that Buddhism and science are indeed compatible: i.e. they are entirely capable of living together in harmony. I certainly think so. And indeed as you are saying, I too think that Buddhism can provide a much needed ethical dimension to the activities of science. However, what some people might argue--as I have--is that we should not mistake the two to be the same thing just because they are compatible.

I would use the analogy of a couple. Two persons may be the very compatible. But I believe anyone who has been in a long term relationship (or any relationship counselor) would tell you that to sustain the relationship, those two people should always maintain a healthy sense of self. One should not blindly defer oneself to the other to maintain the relationship. In fact, doing so would actually harm the relationship. :hug:
With metta,
zavk
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

zavk wrote:I don't think anyone is saying that science and Buddhism cannot mutually inform each other.
they can, but I think not really beneficially, refer to my post
zavk wrote:From what I have read, I don't think anyone here is saying 'Buddhism and science are not compatible'.
according to your definition I have to say "buddhism and science are compatible"
zavk wrote:And indeed as you are saying, I too think that Buddhism can provide a much needed ethical dimension to the activities of science. However, what some people might argue--as I have--is that we should not mistake the two to be the same thing just because they are compatible.
I find this very important.

with a shallow point of view they might be limited beneficial by some means or other but the "area of examination" of buddhism and science (imho) is completely incompatible as I tried to explain in my post

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

Mawkish1983 wrote:Personally I find it hard to understand why anyone would follow a religion that isn't compatible, but that's their choice I suppose
I suspect Buddhism is compatible with myth, and science is one of the myths.
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote:science is one of the myths.
?
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Mawkish1983 wrote:
Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote:science is one of the myths.
?
Nothing has self-essence including this statement - and therefore also all "facts of science".
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

I'm trying to unravel what you mean but I'm struggling. Can you maybe clarify a bit for me, why is science myth?
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Mawkish1983 wrote:I'm trying to unravel what you mean but I'm struggling. Can you maybe clarify a bit for me, why is science myth?
I'll second that!
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Nothing has self-essence including this statement - and therefore also all "facts of science".

Just because something is anatta doesnt mean its not real, it just isnt fit to be taken as Self

2+2=4 doesnt have a Self, doesnt mean that if you get 2 apples and add 2 more you dont get 4 apples

metta
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Mawkish1983 wrote:I'm trying to unravel what you mean but I'm struggling. Can you maybe clarify a bit for me, why is science myth?
Because everything is myth, since nothing has self-essence. What else can it be? There is no thing/moment that is "fact". Every single "fact" that has ever been, is, will be, really a fiction. We create a nice concrete reference point for everything - supernovas, atoms, sentences, ideologies, etc. But those reference points are always changing. They always empty/extend/refer themselves into other reference points, other things/moments. Therefore they are not really facts - more like fictions. Yes, no?
Last edited by Karma Dondrup Tashi on Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.