A Vital new debate of What can we know of the Buddha.

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Mkoll

Re: A Vital new debate of What can we know of the Buddha.

Post by Mkoll »

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:Doubtless.

I want the OP to explain how the subject to which he is specifically alluding to, can improve my practice or positively affect it.

:namaste:
I don't think that is their intention. I think at least part of their intention is to make a name for themselves by sparking vehement debates with their controversial claims and theories. I imagine that for some, the scholar's life must get boring sometimes...

:guns:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
ArkA

Post by ArkA »

Read Learning vs. Practice on page 31 about scholars and meditators.
I'll restart my yearlong meditation retreat on 15th June 2014, hence will not be here.

"Bhikkhus, there are these three things that shine when exposed, not when concealed. What three? (1) The moon. (2) The sun. (3) The Dhamma and discipline proclaimed by the Tathagata."
- Anguttara Nikaya, 3.131, Paticchanna Sutta

"Silence is the language of God; all else is poor translation."
– Rumi

Introduction: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20572
TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

Mkoll wrote:
TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:Doubtless.

I want the OP to explain how the subject to which he is specifically alluding to, can improve my practice or positively affect it.

I don't think that is their intention. I think at least part of their intention is to make a name for themselves by sparking vehement debates with their controversial claims and theories. I imagine that for some, the scholar's life must get boring sometimes...

:guns:
I am not concerned with their intention but the fact that they are unable to respond positively to my request is sufficient for me to know that such examination and ruminative speculation is of no use to me whatsoever.
Thus in being unable to respond, he has in fact responded perfectly.

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Arka,

Very interesting read, thanks for the link. This passage was illuminating:
Manorathapūraṇī148 states that around 20 B.C.E.—about 500 years after The Buddha's enlightenment—a discussion arose
among the bhikkhus of Great Monastery (Mahā Vihara) in Sri Lanka: “Whether learning (pariyatti) was the root of The
Buddha's teaching or whether it was practice (paṭipatti).” Finally, the preachers (dhammakathikas) defeat the practitioners
(paṃsukūlikas) gaining supremacy over the practice.149 Succeeding this decision, Sri Lankan and south Indian scholar bhikkhus endeavour on compiling and accumulating a huge body of secondary literature, namely, chronicles,
commentaries, sub commentaries, sub-sub commentaries, textbooks, manuals, and etc.150 This new thought, surprisingly
contrary to the original and old Buddhism. Perhaps, because it was easier to be a scholar bhikkhu than to be a saint—
easier said than done. Unfortunately this decision marked a decline in Theravada. One of the main causes of the decline of
The Buddha's Dispensation is inexperienced teachers teaching the Dhamma or sometimes non-Dhamma, inexperienced
both in learning151 and practice.