Kasinas

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
PeterB

Re: Kasinas

Post by PeterB »

Macavity wrote:
Manapa wrote:but wonder if there are any more?
Yes. It isn't the most common practice, but there are still a few places where you can learn it.
It struck me looking at the photo that the carpet doesn't help does it ? :tongue:
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Dmytro
Thanks
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Thanavuddho

Post by Thanavuddho »

Individual wrote:Is "kasinas" meditation literally envisioning a circle or disc of color, or it metaphorical, in the same way that the Pali translation might say the "sphere of logic" or "realm of logic" (not literally a sphere or realm).

If so, what is the significant reasoning behind viewing a circle or disc of color rather than an entire plane or field of view?
The kasina-nimitta is first limited and the yogin needs to learn how to make it unlimited. The kasinas can lead to psychic powers if the practitioner has the past kamma for this. But this is not the purpose of the practice. The purpose is simply to reach a calm state of mind and then develop Vipassana. I know a few good teachers in Thailand who can assist in this practice if someone is interested (Luang Por Plien and Laung Por Piek).
“Tasmātihānanda, attadīpā viharatha attasaraṇā anaññasaraṇā, dhammadīpā dhammasaraṇā anaññasaraṇā.”(DN16)
Forum: http://www.avoinsangha.fi
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

PeterB wrote:One of my teachers ( Theravada ) used to deploy Kasinas for people who were depressed and/or given to much discursive and speculative thought.
That's very interesting, thanks for sharing it :anjali:
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Seems likely that some methods used in Color Therapy - eg focusing on and/or visualising colored discs may have originated with the Kasinas.

:namaste:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
PeterB wrote:It struck me looking at the photo that the carpet doesn't help does it ? :tongue:
Maybe if they're busy and run out of kasina boards, you have to look at the carpet instead. :tongue:

Excellent pictures though... thanks for sharing!

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Dazzlebling wrote:Seems likely that some methods used in Color Therapy - eg focusing on and/or visualising colored discs may have originated with the Kasinas.

:namaste:
I think this is the case. I met one of the founders of Colour Therapy, whose name escapes me but it was Thomas something, and he spoke about kasinas.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

I have just remembered. it was Theo Gimbel, not Thomas anything...perhaps I need colour therapy. :cry:
Thanavuddho

Post by Thanavuddho »

Luang Poo Bunyarit (01) Beginning of practice

Luang Poo Bunyarit about his practice right after becoming a monk, chosing kasina as his primary meditation object.
“Tasmātihānanda, attadīpā viharatha attasaraṇā anaññasaraṇā, dhammadīpā dhammasaraṇā anaññasaraṇā.”(DN16)
Forum: http://www.avoinsangha.fi