Different Kinds & What You Use

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Thaibebop

Different Kinds & What You Use

Post by Thaibebop »

I really need to learn the different forms of Theravadan meditation. I have read a little on the them but that was a long time ago and it's not all clear. I am sure that each one is for different results, like I know there is a walking meditation, but can't remember why one would walk and meditate. Can anyone clear this up for me, just give me the basics, let's say.

I am also very interested in what other people use and why? What has helped them the most and that is with anything, like lessening the ego, or meditation to help increase focus.

Thanks all,
:anjali:
Ceisiwr

Re: Different Kinds & What You Use

Post by Ceisiwr »

like I know there is a walking meditation, but can't remember why one would walk and meditate. Can anyone clear this up for me, just give me the basics, let's say.
The Buddha taught us to be mindful and awake sitting, walking, standing and laying down. Meditation isnt just on the cushion, its to be developed in all positions and at all times, hence walking meditation
I am also very interested in what other people use and why? What has helped them the most and that is with anything, like lessening the ego, or meditation to help increase focus.
four foundations of mindfulness (mostly body) and metta/karuna meditation. It has really helped me lead a happier life and, i find anyway, my head is clearer which has helped me in studies etc (although this is a side effect, meditation is for cessation of dukkha not intellectual gains)

With metta and karuna, when i have been developing it, i find im more patient and once again happier

I did notice that when i let my practice slip the mind slipped back into confusion, sensual want, impatience/anger (so generally dukkha)

metta
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Thaibebop,

Other than satipatthana style mindfulness whilst walking, I might adopt a formal walking meditation technique whilst on retreat, when the legs get sick of sitting and I want to maintain continual mindfulness even once off the cushion.

A few relevant resources related to walking meditation...

The Benefits of Walking Meditation
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... bl137.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Walking Meditation - Buddhadasa Bhikkhu's Guide
http://www.knowbuddhism.info/2009/02/wa ... kkhus.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Walking Meditation - Luang Por Teean Jittasubho
http://www.knowbuddhism.info/2009/02/wa ... ought.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Walking Stage Practice - Mahasi Sayadaw Shin Sobhana
http://www.blogger.com/www.knowbuddhism ... -shin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Walking Practice - Luang Phu Mun
http://www.knowbuddhism.info/2009/02/wa ... u-mun.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Walking Meditation - Phra Acariya Thoon Khippapanno
http://www.knowbuddhism.info/2009/03/wa ... ation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I also think this is excellent instruction...
"Herein, Bahiya, you should train yourself thus: 'In the seen will be merely what is seen; in the heard will be merely what is heard; in the sensed will be merely what is sensed; in the cognized will be merely what is cognized.' In this way you should train yourself, Bahiya.

"When, Bahiya, for you in the seen is merely what is seen... in the cognized is merely what is cognized, then, Bahiya, you will not be 'with that.' When, Bahiya, you are not 'with that,' then, Bahiya, you will not be 'in that.' When, Bahiya, you are not 'in that,' then, Bahiya, you will be neither here nor beyond nor in between the two. Just this is the end of suffering."
From... Bahiya Sutta (Udana 1-10)
http://www.cambodianbuddhist.org/englis ... 1-10a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Excellent for warding off papanca.

As to my preferred method, it's satipatthana, as detailed in the...

MN 10: Satipatthana Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Most things, such as the instruction to Bahiya above, are generally a complement to that.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Thaibebop

Post by Thaibebop »

Thanks, these posts are very hlepful. :bow:
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

"When you are not 'with that,' then you will not be 'in that.' When you are not 'in that,' then you will be neither here, nor beyond, nor in between the two. Just this is the end of suffering."
Oh, the profundity of these few words...
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Here is one few may of heard of

mindfulness while falling asleep, and waking up!
it is more detailed in the Agama version of the satipatthana sutta though
"Furthermore, when going forward & returning, he makes himself fully alert; when looking toward & looking away... when bending & extending his limbs... when carrying his outer cloak, his upper robe & his bowl... when eating, drinking, chewing, & savoring... when urinating & defecating... when walking, standing, sitting, falling asleep, waking up, talking, & remaining silent, he makes himself fully alert.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
kannada

Post by kannada »

Hi Thaibebop,
Thaibebop wrote:I am also very interested in what other people use and why? What has helped them the most and that is with anything, like lessening the ego, or meditation to help increase focus.

Thanks all,
:anjali:
My key practice is "the space between thoughts" - the seemingly forgotten half of mindfulness. Where there are thoughts there are conditions, where there are no thoughts there are no conditions, including the conditions of 'I' and 'other'...

Regards

k
Just a view - nothing more...
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

Hi Bop,
Thaibebop wrote:Can anyone clear this up for me, just give me the basics, let's say.
I would strongly recommend that you don't rely just on books or the Internet for your meditation instruction.

Metta
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Thaibebop

Post by Thaibebop »

Jechbi wrote:Hi Bop,
Thaibebop wrote:Can anyone clear this up for me, just give me the basics, let's say.
I would strongly recommend that you don't rely just on books or the Internet for your meditation instruction.

Metta
I am in Kansas in America, books and the internet are all I have. :shrug:
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

Maybe ask around. You might be surprised. Here's a list of contacts I found after a quick Internet search. If you can travel a bit and devote some time to it, this might be an option for you.
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Thaibebop

Post by Thaibebop »

Jechbi wrote:Maybe ask around. You might be surprised. Here's a list of contacts I found after a quick Internet search. If you can travel a bit and devote some time to it, this might be an option for you.
Thank you! It's a shame but I already know this list. Witchta is five hours by car away from where I am at in Overland Park. I have big book chains through so if I know what I am looking for I can get it. It's knowing that is half the battle....that I am losing. :shrug:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings bhante,
appicchato wrote:
"When you are not 'with that,' then you will not be 'in that.' When you are not 'in that,' then you will be neither here, nor beyond, nor in between the two. Just this is the end of suffering."
Oh, the profundity of these few words...
Indeed... and rather unfortunately, often overlooked.

Metta,
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

A brief summary of one way of approaching it:

Overcoming hindrances and developing samadhi/jhana
walking meditation-->calming agitated minds
metta-->overcoming anger,aversion
ashubha-->overcoming craving
mindfulness of breath-->calming the mind and going into jhana
kasina-->as above
|
|
V
clears the mind to be able to do: insight meditation/vipassana
different methods to see impermanence, unsatisfactoriness and non-self, moment to moment.
|
|
V
Letting go by seeing the unsatisfactory nature of phenomena
|
|
V
no clinging therefore no suffering :clap:
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha