AN5.113: Sammāsamādhi Sutta (On Tolerance)

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
Kumara

AN5.113: Sammāsamādhi Sutta (On Tolerance)

Post by Kumara »

I'd like to offer this for discussion here, besides inviting comments on the translation:
“pañcahi, bhikkhave, dhammehi samannāgato bhikkhu abhabbo sammāsamādhiṁ upasampajja viharituṁ. katamehi pañcahi? idha, bhikkhave, bhikkhu akkhamo hoti rūpānaṁ, akkhamo saddānaṁ, akkhamo gandhānaṁ, akkhamo rasānaṁ, akkhamo phoṭṭhabbānaṁ. imehi kho, bhikkhave, pañcahi dhammehi samannāgato bhikkhu abhabbo sammāsamādhiṁ upasampajja viharituṁ.
"Bhikkhus, possessed of five things a bhikkhu is unable to live engaging in proper composure (sammāsamādhi). What five? Here, a bhikkhu is intolerant of (visual) forms, intolerant of sounds, intolerant of odours, intolerant of tastes, intolerant of touchables. Possessed with these five things a bhikkhu is unable to live engaging in proper composure."
“pañcahi, bhikkhave, dhammehi samannāgato bhikkhu bhabbo sammāsamādhiṁ upasampajja viharituṁ. katamehi pañcahi? idha, bhikkhave, bhikkhu khamo hoti rūpānaṁ, khamo saddānaṁ, khamo gandhānaṁ, khamo rasānaṁ, khamo phoṭṭhabbānaṁ. imehi kho, bhikkhave, pañcahi dhammehi samannāgato bhikkhu bhabbo sammāsamādhiṁ upasampajja viharitun”ti.
"Bhikkhus, possessed of five things a bhikkhu is able to live engaging in proper composure. What five? Here, a bhikkhu is tolerant of (visual) forms, tolerant of sounds, tolerant of odours, tolerant of tastes, tolerant of touchables. Possessed with these five things a bhikkhu is able to live engaging in proper composure."
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: AN5.113: Sammāsamādhi Sutta (On Tolerance)

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

For (visual) forms, I would use the more straightforward "sights."

"Touchables" is awkward, but "contacts" is not quite right. Perhaps "touches" would be best. It does not refer only to physical contact with external objects, but also to internal sensations such as stiffness in the limbs, hunger, etc.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Thanks for sharing. Any alternate translations of the Pali word for "tolerant/intolerant", khamo I think?
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:For (visual) forms, I would use the more straightforward "sights."

"Touchables" is awkward, but "contacts" is not quite right. Perhaps "touches" would be best. It does not refer only to physical contact with external objects, but also to internal sensations such as stiffness in the limbs, hunger, etc.

Maybe "sensed"....?
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
Kumara

Post by Kumara »

Thanks for helping, bhante.
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:For (visual) forms, I would use the more straightforward "sights."
Meaning-wise, it can work, but there are too many meanings for "sight" for my liking. Using this can meaning "seeing", rather the seen.
I know... I was experimenting. OK, off with "touchables".
"Touches"? Also too many meanings for my liking.

"Tangibles"? This seems to relate better with internal sensations.
How about "physical sensations"?
Kumara

Post by Kumara »

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:

Maybe "sensed"....?
That would be closer to phuṭṭha.
Kumara

Post by Kumara »

Forget "tangibles". It already has the meaning of "tangible things".
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Ven. Bodhi's translation:
Bhikkhus, possessing five qualities, a bhikkhu is incapable of entering and dwelling in right concentration. What five? Here, a bhikkhu cannot patiently endure forms, sounds, odors, tastes, and tactile objects. Possessing these five qualities, a bhikkhu is incapable of entering and dwelling in right concentration.
Kumara

Post by Kumara »

Mkoll wrote:Thanks for sharing. Any alternate translations of the Pali word for "tolerant/intolerant", khamo I think?
Do you think it's unsuitable?
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

No, it makes sense. And Ven. Bodhi's "patiently endure" makes it more clear.