I need some help here - fast!!

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Fede

I need some help here - fast!!

Post by Fede »

I think I may have well shot myself in both feet, here.

Many moons ago, I was elected as Theravada Moderator in a predominantly Mahayana Forum.
I said then, that it was a bad choice, because of my profound ignorance on matters Theravadan. but there were precious few candidates at the time....
Could somebody take a look at these two threads and tell me whether I really messed up moving them to the General Discussion Forum, or whether I really should have left them where originally posted - in the Theravada sub-forum?

http://viewonbuddhism.org/discussion/vi ... php?t=1301" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://viewonbuddhism.org/discussion/vi ... php?t=1300" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tiltbillings

Re: I need some help here - fast!!

Post by tiltbillings »

I would have left both of them in the Theravadin section.

You might want to stay off of your feet for a while. It is easy enough to move them back.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Fede,
They look theravada to me, although the first one does seam similar to the sutta story of the Acrobats it isn't a specific theravada topic and possibly would of been better placed in the general area for more coverage (not knowing how the forum operates generally, so just a guess) the second one is theravada specific.

I notice that he is from malaysia and theravadan? I thought malaysia was predominantly muslim and mahayanan not theravadan, but I do know there is a growing presence.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Fede

Post by Fede »

Thank you very much for your kind assistance.
I am nursing a bit of a bruised ego, and am indulging in a foot spa..... :jumping:

I've put them back.
Now - I wait..... ;)
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

wish I had a foot spa!

maybe point out you are only human and subject to makeing errors on occassion

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Fede

Post by Fede »

I did that. I also explained that ignorance is a strong point of mine, and I like to air it often and loudly.... :jawdrop: :jumping:

So hopefully they won't tear me a new one. :quote: ...again.... :roll: :toilet:

Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Just remember that insults are only yours if you accept them as such!

Edit - I like your signature there
A present moment free from dukkha.
A present moment with wisdom and understanding.
These are not simply guaranteed by "living in the moment".

"Be Mindful, and Simplify".
I may of altered the last part from simplify to attend appropriately :anjali:

John Stuart Mill