Anyone who has seen rebirth ?.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
someguysomeguy

Anyone who has seen rebirth ?.

Post by someguysomeguy »

The debate about rebirth is going on for a while.

While we cannot say rebirth is not a part of Buddhism since the entire basis of Buddhist philosophy is Samsara and breaking away from Samsara , there should be some conclusive evidence for it.

I dont like research by Ian stevenson etc because those are based on flimsy grounds (like evidence from children etc)...

If we go into the literature, Buddha says that Rebirth can be seen in the 4th Jhana . Has anyone in this forum seen rebirth or does anyone know of any Buddhist Monk to have seen rebirth?.
TheNoBSBuddhist

Re: Anyone who has seen rebirth ?.

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

I recently saw this on another website, if it interests you.

Of course, you still should investigate such matters for yourself....

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/681034- ... n-of-body/

:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
suwapan

Post by suwapan »

someguysomeguy wrote:
Has anyone in this forum seen rebirth or does anyone know of any Buddhist Monk to have seen rebirth?.
Has anyone seen the wind?
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Rebirth can be seen daily, whenever a new being comes into existence. That is evidence enough for someone who has the eye of faith to make the connection to death, which can also be seen daily. The flow of dependent origination can also be seen daily by one's own experience of being born into fresh activity (such as responding to this forum post), again and again, due to craving and ignorance.

The mere fact that you're asking this question shows that you lack confidence in the Buddha's teaching. Develop your confidence by meditating more and speculating less.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
KumarS

Post by KumarS »

someguysomeguy wrote:The debate about rebirth is going on for a while.

While we cannot say rebirth is not a part of Buddhism since the entire basis of Buddhist philosophy is Samsara and breaking away from Samsara , there should be some conclusive evidence for it.

I dont like research by Ian stevenson etc because those are based on flimsy grounds (like evidence from children etc)...

If we go into the literature, Buddha says that Rebirth can be seen in the 4th Jhana . Has anyone in this forum seen rebirth or does anyone know of any Buddhist Monk to have seen rebirth?.
There are many accounts of past lives in Gina Cerminara` s book about Cayce.
I think the book is called "Many Mansions"
TheNoBSBuddhist

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Rebirth can be seen daily, whenever a new being comes into existence. That is evidence enough for someone who has the eye of faith to make the connection to death, which can also be seen daily. The flow of dependent origination can also be seen daily by one's own experience of being born into fresh activity (such as responding to this forum post), again and again, due to craving and ignorance.

The mere fact that you're asking this question shows that you lack confidence in the Buddha's teaching. Develop your confidence by meditating more and speculating less.
:clap: :goodpost: :clap:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
ancientbuddhism

Post by ancientbuddhism »

Anytime there is ignorant contact with what is sensed there is ‘rebirth’.

Avijjāsamphassajena, bhikkhave, vedayitena phuṭṭhassa assutavato puthujjanassa ‘asmi’ tipissa hoti; ‘ayamahamasmi’ tipissa hoti; ‘bhavissan’tipissa hoti; ‘na bhavissan’tipissa hoti…”

Born of ignorant contact, bhikkhus, the untaught-commoner is influenced by sensations. Thus it occurs to him ‘I am’; thus it occurs to him ‘I am this’; thus it occurs to him ‘I exist’; thus it occurs to him ‘I do not exist’…” – SN. 22.47 (Samanupassanā Sutta)
I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves
2pennyworth

Post by 2pennyworth »

There seems to be a lot of confusion about between the difference of reincarnation and rebirth.

Excerpt from MN 38:
I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was staying in Sāvatthī, at Jeta's Grove, Anāthapiṇḍika's park. Now on that occasion this pernicious viewpoint (diṭṭhigata) had arisen in the monk Sāti the Fisherman's Son: "As I understand the Dhamma taught by the Blessed One, it is just this consciousness that runs and wanders on [from birth to birth], not another." A large number of monks heard, "They say that this pernicious viewpoint has arisen in the monk Sāti the Fisherman's Son: 'As I understand the Dhamma taught by the Blessed One, it is just this consciousness that runs and wanders on [from birth to birth], not another.'" So they went to the monk Sāti the Fisherman's Son and on arrival said to him, "Is it true, friend Sāti, that this pernicious viewpoint has arisen in you — 'As I understand the Dhamma taught by the Blessed One, it is just this consciousness that runs and wanders on, not another'?"

"Exactly so, friends. I understand the Dhamma taught by the Blessed One such that it is just this consciousness that runs and wanders on, not another."

Then those monks, desiring to pry the monk Sāti the Fisherman's Son away from that pernicious viewpoint, quizzed him back & forth and rebuked him, saying, "Don't say that, friend Sāti. Don't slander the Blessed One, for it is not good to slander the Blessed One. The Blessed One would not say anything like that. In many ways, friend, the Blessed One has said of dependently co-arisen consciousness, 'Apart from a requisite condition, there is no coming-into-play of consciousness.'" And yet even though he was quizzed back & forth and rebuked by those monks, the monk Sāti the Fisherman's Son, through stubbornness and attachment to that very same pernicious viewpoint, continued to insist, "Exactly so, friends. I understand the Dhamma taught by the Blessed One such that it is just this consciousness that runs and wanders on, not another."
Full sutta:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

Matt :smile:
“We cling to our own point of view, as though everything depended on it. Yet our opinions have no permanence; like autumn and winter, they gradually pass away.” ~ Chuang Tzu
TheNoBSBuddhist

You are right; The only Buddhist tradition, AFAIK, that truly prescribes to Reincarnation in its literal sense, is Tibetan Buddhism; the most prominent and/or famous example of this process, being His Holiness the Dalai Lama, who is the 14th in his lineage....

Re-birth is 'reserved for Hoi Poloi; the rabble.

Us, in other words.... :tongue:

piotr

Post by piotr »

Hi,
  • Just as if on being asked about a mango he were to describe a breadfruit-tree to me, or on being asked about breadfruit-tree to me he were to describe a mango.

— Sāmaññaphala-sutta (DN 2), trans. by Maurice Walshe
It's a shame but most of the answers are not to the point and one I find even offensive.
Bhagavaṃmūlakā no, bhante, dhammā...
TheNoBSBuddhist

Well if it is I who has offended, albeit unwittingly and unintentionally, I apologise.

I would not offend sensibilities in such a way.
Forgive whatever ignorance you might perceive.

piotr

Post by piotr »

Hi,
TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:Well if it is I who has offended, albeit unwittingly and unintentionally, I apologise.
It's not you. I find it offensive when someone asks legitimate question and instead of proper answer he/she receives preaching about his lack of confidence.
Bhagavaṃmūlakā no, bhante, dhammā...
Lazy_eye

Post by Lazy_eye »

someguysomeguy wrote:The debate about rebirth is going on for a while.

It would be nice if there were some conclusive evidence, but I'm not surprised that there isn't. Rebirth is inherently hard to test -- how could it be done, really? Maybe some large-scale study carried out over generations and across multiple geographical regions, but who has the resources to conduct such a study?

Keep in mind also that most people are not reborn into the human realm after death; in fact, it can take many eons before one takes human form again. From the Chiggala Sutta:
"Monks, suppose that this great earth were totally covered with water, and a man were to toss a yoke with a single hole there. A wind from the east would push it west, a wind from the west would push it east. A wind from the north would push it south, a wind from the south would push it north. And suppose a blind sea-turtle were there. It would come to the surface once every one hundred years. Now what do you think: would that blind sea-turtle, coming to the surface once every one hundred years, stick his neck into the yoke with a single hole?"

"It would be a sheer coincidence, lord, that the blind sea-turtle, coming to the surface once every one hundred years, would stick his neck into the yoke with a single hole."

"It's likewise a sheer coincidence that one obtains the human state.
So a scientific test would have to be capable of finding that turtle.

If you're interested in resolving for yourself whether rebirth is plausible, it may be more fruitful to look at the nature of consciousness. If consciousness has a material cause, then rebirth is impossible; if it does not have a material cause, rebirth is not only possible but likely.
2pennyworth

Post by 2pennyworth »

piotr wrote:... I find it offensive when someone asks legitimate question and instead of proper answer he/she receives preaching about his lack of confidence.
My attempt to defuse the tension here with a touch of humor :

I find your lack of faith disturbing Darth Vader:

We're all stuck in this round of samsara together. :group:

Matt :-)
Last edited by 2pennyworth on Fri May 23, 2014 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“We cling to our own point of view, as though everything depended on it. Yet our opinions have no permanence; like autumn and winter, they gradually pass away.” ~ Chuang Tzu