I follow this, what does it make me?

Three marks of existence
Five aggregates
Dependent arising
Karma and rebirth
The four noble truths
The Noble Eightfold Path
Nirvana

P.S. I don't worship any image or statue of Buddha, I do not make offerings or pray for blessings and fortune to Buddha statues or any other rituals.
past is dead

Re: What tradition do you follow?

Postby rohana » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:44 am

I selected "Classical Theravada" based on some sources (Bhikkhu Bōdhi, Ñyānapōnika Thera, Rērukāne Chandavimala Thera, Viṣuddhimagga based material, etc) - and "Suttanta" (Thanissaro Bhikkhu, Katukurundē Ñānānanda Thera), also "Sri Lankan" (all of the above sources except for Thanissaro Bhikkhu), and capped it all off with "Theravada in general".

In future I plan to read more matertial from the many wonderful Burmese Sayādaw's so then I'd have to include "Burmese" as well.
"Delighting in existence, O monks, are gods and men; they are attached to existence, they revel in existence. When the Dhamma for the cessation of existence is being preached to them, their minds do not leap towards it, do not get pleased with it, do not get settled in it, do not find confidence in it. That is how, monks, some lag behind."
- It. p 43
rohana

Postby PadmaPhala » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:03 am

Thai Forest, Zen Rinzai, Nyingmapa.

Samyak Buddha Shakyamuni's Dharma has reached as far as the Pleiades!
PadmaPhala

Postby Zenainder » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:38 pm

Theravada "in general" category is likely where I am "boxed". Like others here, I'm not interested in religious order, heiarchy, or politics; only the path. Otherwise, I draw primarily from Theravadist thought (Bhikkhu Bodhi, Ajhan Chah, Mahasi Shadow (sp?), Bhikkhu Nananada, to name the primary few). I was formally introduced to Buddhism, beyond my own indepedent thought, through Tibetan Buddhism and found religious nonsense had filled parts of their teachings. I shortly thereafter stumbled into Theravada after hearing an adherence to sutta orthodoxy --- which I find more appealing and real. How "orthodox" is the most "orthodox" way of the elders tradition, is likely up for debate. However, I think that its still a very relevant and streamline tradition when it regards liberation.

These are, of course, opinions.

Metta,

Zen
Zenainder

Postby melancholy » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:45 pm

i thought suttanta is the oldest, how can it be modern? appreciate if someone can explain.

i can say i follow what's in my signature.
Power can make things disappear, so does me :D

Then the Blessed One said to Ven. Ananda, "Now, if it occurs to any of you — 'The teaching has lost its authority; we are without a Teacher' — do not view it in that way. Whatever Dhamma & Vinaya I have pointed out & formulated for you, that will be your Teacher when I am gone.

-Dīgha Nikāya 16, Mahāparinibbāna Sutta

gO tO wORK, gET mARRIED, hAVE sOME kIDS;
wATCH yOUR tV, fOLLOW fASHION, aCT nORMAL;
pAY yOUR tAXES, pAY yOUR bILLS, oBEY tHE lAW;
aND rEPEAT aFTER mE: "i aM fREE."
melancholy

Postby andyebarnes67 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:38 pm

Buckwheat wrote:I still meditate, and I look more or less like a Buddhist to outsiders.

What does a Buddhist 'look like'? :thinking:
Metta

Andy Barnes
About.me
andyebarnes67

Postby chris98e » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:01 am

Because I just read the Nikayas and go to a Buddhist Temple once in a while I guess I follow general Theravada.
I didn't even know there was a difference between Thai Forest Buddhism and just Thai Buddhism. :reading: :bow: :thumbsup:
chris98e

Postby david.sojourn » Tue May 06, 2014 6:40 pm

I once practiced Zen, and Thai Forest tradition, but then I let them all go.

I created my own way, then I let that go too.

It works better, because No-Way seems to be the best way for me.

But what do I know.

Sometimes I still miss the toilet when I'm thinking too hard and I try to take a pee.

So I wouldn't take my word for anything.
david.sojourn

Postby lyndon taylor » Tue May 06, 2014 11:40 pm

For men, the question is not whether or not we miss the toilet sometimes, but whether or not we expect someone else to clean it up for us!!! :toilet: responsibility.....
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community that has so generously given me so much, sincerely former monk John
lyndon taylor

Postby Jetavan » Sat May 24, 2014 3:06 am

david.sojourn wrote:I once practiced Zen, and Thai Forest tradition, but then I let them all go.

I created my own way, then I let that go too.

It works better, because No-Way seems to be the best way for me.

But what do I know.

Sometimes I still miss the toilet when I'm thinking too hard and I try to take a pee.

So I wouldn't take my word for anything.

Hitting is not other than missing. Missing is not other than hitting.
Jetavan

Postby mindstring » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:35 pm

Sambojjhanga wrote:I'm curious why so many people seem to have an affinity for the Thai Forest Tradition? I have a great affinity for this tradition as well, especially the Dhammayut sect.

There are a few reasons which I will state. ...

Here are a few social sciency reasons why the Thai Forest tradition may have higher numbers:

Of the S/SE Asian countries listed in the poll, Thailand has probably had the most peaceful and prosperous history during the decades when Westerners have been looking most heavily to the East for religion/spirituality/philosophy (i.e., since the 1960s). Burma/Myanmar has been ruled more-or-less by the military since 1962, and has had many ongoing civil wars between its many ethnic groups since the country's independence in 1948. Sri Lanka also had a civil war from 1983-2009.

Thailand has had pretty good relations with the US for almost 200 years, which has facilitated a lot of bi-lateral tourism, trade, and immigration. Thailand is also more ethnically homogeneous than either Burma/Myanmar or Sri Lanka, and Thailand is the only SE Asian nation that was never colonized by Westerners, so has not had to deal as much with the legacies of colonialism in S/SE Asia.

The Thai Forest teachings have an ascetic/serious-practitioner bent, similar to Zen and Thich Nhat Hanh. Western people who are serious/interested enough to leave their own society's mainstream tradition(s) for an Asian tradition are probably looking for something serious, and may not be very interested in embracing any society's mainstreams. That seriousness also has probably made those traditions more dedicated to core Buddhist principles, which are not usually/historically tied to one nation or culture, and hence more open to foreigners.

The Thai people, culture/language, monarchy, and Thai Buddhism are a closely intertwined package. It may be less objectionable to the Thai mainstream to have large numbers of foreigners living for long periods out in the forests rather than in the cities. Short-term tourists probably can be more easily isolated/separated from mainstream Thai society in the cities than resident bhikkhu(ni)s could be.

The upturn in the poll for Burmese Theravada (compared with "Sri Lankan" and "Thai") is interesting to me, because Buddhist monks have been an important force in mass protests of military rule in Burma/Myanmar. I wonder if this has caused more of a separation between nationalism and Buddhism in Burma/Myanmar than in Thailand. The ethnic diversity of Burma/Myanmar, and the fact that the several most populous ethnicities (Bamar, Shan, Rakhine, Mon, Karen, and Chinese) are all mostly Buddhist, may also contribute to mainstream Burmese Buddhism's being more open to foreigners.
mindstring

Postby Sam Vara » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:49 pm

lyndon taylor wrote:For men, the question is not whether or not we miss the toilet sometimes, but whether or not we expect someone else to clean it up for us!!! :toilet: responsibility.....

For men, responsibility starts with sitting down to pass water. You'd have to be extremely heedless to miss, and the more empathetic can pride themselves on their solidarity with women...
Sam Vara

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:24 pm

Supremely :goodpost:

There appears to be huge differences between cultures in elimination positions, especially regarding urination. What we found most startling is that the respective urination positions for men and women that we take for granted in modern society appear to at least historically been reversed! For example, Herodotus claimed that in Egypt, “women stand erect to make water, the men stoop.” In Ireland, “the men discharge their urine sitting; the women standing.” Among Muslims, at least historically, both genders “squat to defecate and urinate.” And European women, until quite recently, would often stand up to urinate, as their clothing almost dictated that position, and they could do so quite discreetly. Finally, many women today, because of the lack of cleanliness in public facilities, will not sit on the toilet seat to urinate, and instead either hover or stand up.

THE article this small snippet is from, actually examines the different traditions, and where people are from, with regard to this matter. Apparently, German gentlemen resolutely refuse to stand....
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
TheNoBSBuddhist

Postby adikalyanam » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:58 pm

Thai Forest Tradition in the lineage of Ajahn Chah
adikalyanam

Postby applesummer » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:00 am

I chose Theravada (in general).

I just found out today what 'Classical Theravada' and 'Modern Theravada' are all about by google search -- they maybe were originally subforums at Esangha, etc.

I chose Theravada (in general), though ...

Ai Dinh Le
applesummer

Previous

Return to Theravāda for the modern world