Prayer/Chanting

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
ShanYin

Prayer/Chanting

Post by ShanYin »

I am reading a book called "The Power Of Meditation"

It has inspired me to start prayer or chanting. It says it should be done as often as one would brush ones teeth.

There are many chants in the bottom of this page:

http://arrowriver.ca/dhamma.html

Can anyone tell me something about chanting and praying in the Theravada tradition? Just assume I don't know anything about "which is virtually true".
Mkoll

Re: Prayer/Chanting

Post by Mkoll »

Hi ShenYin,

There's chanting in the monasteries I've seen. There isn't any praying in the Judeo-Christian sense of the word.

A lot of meditators may start and/or end their meditation with some chanting such as paying homage to the Buddha, taking refuge, reaffirming the precepts, etc.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

ShanYin wrote: It says it should be done as often as one would brush ones teeth.
Praying wasn't taught by the Buddha. There's nothing in the cosmos worth praying to. Theravada is based on the Pali suttas and you will not find prayer in the Buddha's teachings recorded in the suttas.

Chanting was occasionally taught by the Buddha, but it's not a core teaching in any sense, and is only of benefit when the words are understood. Usually the chanting done in monasteries is an expression of gratitude and a reaffirmation of the practices undertaken.

99% of the teachings are about practice and training the mind.
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
cooran

Post by cooran »

Thanks, Tilt. Interesting article.

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

In the Theravāda, we have this prayer:

Imina puññakammena — mā me bāla-samāgamo,
sataṃ samāgamo hotu — yava nibbāna-pattiya.

By virtue of this wholesome act
Never may I live with fools
But with the wise have company
Until nibbāna’s attained.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
ShanYin

Post by ShanYin »

Can chanting be done in english? I could study the meaning of the chant's words.

I want to do this chant because it is a healing chant.

http://www.arrowriver.ca/chant/bojjhang.txt
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

It says it should be done as often as one would brush ones teeth.
Once a year, whether they need it or not.