Sudanese woman sentenced to death for apostasy

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

Sharing this with you all:

I know I'm asking a lot, here, but: Please share this as much as you can, via whatever medium you choose. This has got to stop.
The more people know about this - and take action - the more it will help.
Go to the 'Amnesty International' page link below, and fill out the protest letter. You can even add your own message to the existing pre-written one.
Keep it polite. But please - do it. You don't need to subscribe, and you don't need to pay anything. But if you do nothing, this woman will certainly pay with her life, for things we take for granted, here....

https://www.amnesty.org.uk/actions/suda ... mail_image
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
Sokehi

Re: Greetings, fellow followers!

Post by Sokehi »

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:Sharing this with you all:

I know I'm asking a lot, here, but: Please share this as much as you can, via whatever medium you choose. This has got to stop.
Go to the 'Amnesty International' page link below, and fill out the protest letter. You can even add your own message to the existing pre-written one.
Keep it polite. But please - do it. You don't need to subscribe, and you don't need to pay anything. But if you do nothing, this woman will certainly pay with her life, for things we take for granted, here....

Thanks for sharing. This is urgend, I will sign. :anjali:
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:Sharing this with you all:

Done. Took about 30 seconds.

When I read that story, I was horrified. I think she should leave that country. I hope a government that doesn't execute people for their religious beliefs will give her asylum.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
TheNoBSBuddhist

Sadly, as she is imprisoned, departure looks unlikely.

This is why International pressure MUST be brought to bear upon Sudan's Government.
It's an appalling defiance against basic human rights....

Thank you for signing.

Please, if you can, garner whatever support you can from friends, relatives, social media.... anywhere....

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

The BBC says shes not going to be put to death until the baby she is pregnant with is 2 years old and there will be several appeals, for one thing she was raised a Christian, not a muslim, so even by archaic islamic law they don't have a good case against her.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
TheNoBSBuddhist

Yes. Sadly, they seem intent on ignoring that, and they're going to murder her anyway.

Lyndon, could you provide a link, please?

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

Zentruckdriver

Post by Zentruckdriver »

Signed and Shared.

Kind Regards Paul.
Dipping a toe in or pulling myself from a swamp...yeah that covers it for now.
TheNoBSBuddhist

Thank you Lyndon.

It's good news of sorts, but all it does is give her a 'stay of execution'.

It remains to be seen whether she will be freed during this time, or kept incarcerated.
Pressure still needs to be kept on.

It's yet another example of how appallingly women are treated in some Middle- and Far-Eastern locations...

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

Good news, The Sudanese Christian woman is being freed, what is not clear is whether this amounts just to bail, or actually having the charges dropped.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-27651483

waterchan

Re: Sudanese woman sentenced to death for apostasy

Post by waterchan »

lyndon taylor wrote:Good news, The Sudanese Christian woman is being freed, what is not clear is whether this amounts just to bail, or actually having the charges dropped.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-27651483
Faith in humanity partially restored?
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Thanks for the update. :smile:
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
TheNoBSBuddhist

The only humanity shown was the countries who registered the strongest possible protests. They would not have made these moves on their own.
Guilt, and fear of financial segregation would be more the thumb-screws prompting this decision....
The article does not make it clear that she has indeed, been released. The fact that the article title is in inverted commas, still prompts me to question their so-called' humanitarian decision'....

robdog

Post by robdog »

Signed, i hope with enough pressure it can make a difference.
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

I might not be posting no more so this is a single posting attack :

just saying this is in north-sudan and i think its appropriate to make the distinction - like we dont blame the crimes of north korea on south korea i dont think its ok to blame south sudan on the crimes of north sudan

not saying the poster is wrong - clearly north sudan is called sudan in the media - also in the linked artןcle - but i think it can be nice if we make the difference in this thread - maybe by editing this thread title ?

(if the media would have called it clearly north sudan it would have added to the pressure in this cases in north-sudan a great deal)