Anyone who has seen rebirth ?.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Re: Anyone who has seen rebirth ?.

Postby rowboat » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:59 pm

You're not using it in the way any other person would, though.

This is clearly untrue. SamKR knew precisely what I was saying.
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5
rowboat

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:10 pm

SamKR understood it in a way you intended. Others didn't. That doesn't therefore make your use of the word, correct.

Just significant.

And as you have outlined yourself, the only 'evidence' you have for the verification of your accounts, is all within your mind.

Therefore, one can hardly take that as concrete proof, if you are unable to substantiate your recollections with any degree of visible or verifiable accuracy.

Evidence, therefore, is the incorrect term to use. it is both misleading and vague.
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
TheNoBSBuddhist

Postby Mr Man » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:13 pm

And irrevocable? Will you still hold the belief after you die?
Mr Man

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:21 pm

So this post actually, should read.....

rowboat wrote:
manas wrote:Of course none of us here as far as I know has conclusive evidence that literal rebirth happens, but it is still a good idea to conduct one's life as though it does.

I HAVE CERTAIN MEMORIES WHICH I AM ATTRIBUTING TO rebirth, BUT I AM NOT SURE, AND I CAN'T PROVE ANYTHING...

..... I may add more when I return home.

:anjali:

....and would have prevented all this dialogue.

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
TheNoBSBuddhist

Postby rowboat » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:23 pm

Mr Man wrote:And irrevocable? Will you still hold the belief after you die?

Hehehe. ;)

It depends on whether or not I remember.
Ud 5.5
rowboat

Postby rowboat » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:34 pm

TheNoBSBuddhist. I would like you to remove from the quotation box those words in your previous post that you hypothetically attribute to me. Keep them all you like, but please do not publish them in the quotation box.

In the spirit of full disclosure I should admit that I find you to be childish and even a bit irritating. Also, you have posted here almost 700 times in less than two months. I don't think this is healthy and it concerns me. For these reasons, in the future I am going to limit my interactions with you. I wish you the best.

:anjali:
Ud 5.5
rowboat

Postby whynotme » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:13 am

@ rowboat,

What is your opinion on the sutta about 32 signs of great man (I don't remember the name exactly)? Some said it was a late development. I really curious about physical attributes of the Buddha, and it seems you don't want talk about your memory, could you talk about that sutta in general?

Regards
Please stop following me
whynotme

Postby rowboat » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:44 am

whynotme wrote:@ rowboat,

What is your opinion on the sutta about 32 signs of great man (I don't remember the name exactly)? Some said it was a late development. I really curious about physical attributes of the Buddha, and it seems you don't want talk about your memory, could you talk about that sutta in general?

Regards

I'm Sorry, I can't help you with that.
Ud 5.5
rowboat

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:17 am

That's a true shame.
Sadly, it actually means you can't help us with much of anything....

You limit whatever you want, with whomever you want.
This is your personal stumbling-block, not mine.
If I am intolerable to you, then it's you who cannot tolerate.
I have neither done nor said anything insulting, belittling, uncivil, disrespectful or controversial.

I have attempted to engage you in such a way as to be attempt to discuss rebirth in an educated, constructive and productive manner.
It is you, who has back-pedalled and become defensive.

In short, if someone can't back up their beliefs, further scrutiny is not unreasonable.

TheNoBSBuddhist

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:23 am

rowboat wrote:TheNoBSBuddhist. I would like you to remove from the quotation box those words in your previous post that you hypothetically attribute to me. Keep them all you like, but please do not publish them in the quotation box.

Unnecessary.
It's quite clear they are not your words, and are hypothetical. You even point it out as such, so it's perfectly presentable as it is.

In the spirit of full disclosure I should admit that I find you to be childish and even a bit irritating.

That is your perception. Remember, occasionally what we perceive is merely a reflection of our own hindrances....

Also, you have posted here almost 700 times in less than two months. I don't think this is healthy and it concerns me.

Why?
My circumstances dictate that I am in such a position to do so.
I am grateful for your obvious concern for my health, naturally, but I don't see what that actually has to do with anything being discussed here....

For these reasons, in the future I am going to limit my interactions with you. I wish you the best.

You do whatever you feel is right for you.
I shall continue posting as I feel, particularly if advancing my learning in the Dhamma and Sangha, is what motivates me, which is indeed the case.
If it is stimulating, educational, informative and edifying, I will contribute, to the best of my ability....

TheNoBSBuddhist

Postby Kasina » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:33 pm

I don't really understand what all the beef is about. He just answered the OP.
:shrug:
"This world completely lacks essence;
It trembles in all directions.
I longed to find myself a place
Unscathed — but I could not see it."

Sn 4.15 PTS: Sn 935-951 "Attadanda Sutta: Arming Oneself"

"You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go... This is the curse at work, the curse that feeds on all life..."

Wilbur Mercer in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Kasina

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:44 pm

I personally don't have a beef. I was merely discussing his accounts in-depth.
Truly.

TheNoBSBuddhist

Postby Mkoll » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:01 pm

Kasina wrote:I don't really understand what all the beef is about. He just answered the OP.
Come now, all forums are havens for beef. :jumping:
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby Aloka » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:45 pm

whynotme wrote:

Hi whynotme,

You might be interested in what Ajahn Sujato has to say "On the 32 marks"

http://sujato.wordpress.com/2011/04/06/on-the-32-marks/

With kind regards,

Aloka
Aloka

Postby Kasina » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:53 pm

Mkoll wrote:
Kasina wrote:I don't really understand what all the beef is about. He just answered the OP.
Come now, all forums are havens for beef. :jumping:

Indeed, but this thread isn't even on Open Dhamma :rofl:
"This world completely lacks essence;
It trembles in all directions.
I longed to find myself a place
Unscathed — but I could not see it."

Sn 4.15 PTS: Sn 935-951 "Attadanda Sutta: Arming Oneself"

"You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go... This is the curse at work, the curse that feeds on all life..."

Wilbur Mercer in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Kasina

Postby whynotme » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:08 am

Aloka wrote:
whynotme wrote:

Hi whynotme,

With kind regards,

Aloka

Thanks, but I am not interested in that research

On one hand, I will accept any kind of truth, if it is the truth. OTOH, I don't like ill research where personal opinion is spoken as fact. Most of 32 marks is normal, nothing freak, and he dismisses them without proof by saying just that the Buddha had normal physique, that is an ill research by any standard. But it is good that he spoke out, so that I can know whether or not believing him on other issues.

Regards
Please stop following me
whynotme

Postby Mkoll » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:28 am

whynotme wrote:
Aloka wrote:
whynotme wrote:

Hi whynotme,

With kind regards,

Aloka

Thanks, but I am not interested in that research

On one hand, I will accept any kind of truth, if it is the truth. OTOH, I don't like ill research where personal opinion is spoken as fact. Most of 32 marks is normal, nothing freak, and he dismisses them without proof by saying just that the Buddha had normal physique, that is an ill research by any standard. But it is good that he spoke out, so that I can know whether or not believing him on other issues.

Regards

. . . I don't even know where to begin so I'm just going to use one those handy emoticons: :toilet:
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:56 am

The word 'arrogance' springs to mind.... I can't think why..... :thinking:

TheNoBSBuddhist

Postby Sokehi » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:26 pm

I'm very fond of Ajahn Sujato. His Sutta Classes and Talks about Indian history I find always very inspiring :anjali:
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr
Sokehi

Postby Kusala » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:15 am

Past Life Memories Lead Woman To Reunite With Her Children From Previous Lifetime http://www.afterlifetv.com/2013/09/19/p ... -lifetime/

Homage to the Buddha
Thus indeed, is that Blessed One: He is the Holy One, fully enlightened, endowed with clear vision and virtuous conduct, sublime, the Knower of the worlds, the incomparable leader of men to be tamed, the teacher of gods and men, enlightened and blessed.

Homage to the Teachings
The Dhamma of the Blessed One is perfectly expounded; to be seen here and now; not delayed in
time; inviting one to come and see; onward leading (to Nibbana); to be known by the wise, each for himself.
Kusala

PreviousNext

Return to General Theravāda discussion