Anyone who has seen rebirth ?.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Kasina

Re: Anyone who has seen rebirth ?.

Post by Kasina »

I don't really understand what all the beef is about. He just answered the OP.
:shrug:
"This world completely lacks essence;
It trembles in all directions.
I longed to find myself a place
Unscathed — but I could not see it."

Sn 4.15 PTS: Sn 935-951 "Attadanda Sutta: Arming Oneself"

"You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go... This is the curse at work, the curse that feeds on all life..."

Wilbur Mercer in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

I personally don't have a beef. I was merely discussing his accounts in-depth.
Truly.
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Kasina wrote:I don't really understand what all the beef is about. He just answered the OP.
Come now, all forums are havens for beef. :jumping:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

whynotme wrote:
What is your opinion on the sutta about 32 signs of great man (I don't remember the name exactly)? Some said it was a late development. I really curious about physical attributes of the Buddha, and it seems you don't want talk about your memory, could you talk about that sutta in general?
Hi whynotme,

You might be interested in what Ajahn Sujato has to say "On the 32 marks"

http://sujato.wordpress.com/2011/04/06/on-the-32-marks/

With kind regards,

Aloka
Kasina

Post by Kasina »

Mkoll wrote:
Kasina wrote:I don't really understand what all the beef is about. He just answered the OP.
Come now, all forums are havens for beef. :jumping:
Indeed, but this thread isn't even on Open Dhamma :rofl:
"This world completely lacks essence;
It trembles in all directions.
I longed to find myself a place
Unscathed — but I could not see it."

Sn 4.15 PTS: Sn 935-951 "Attadanda Sutta: Arming Oneself"

"You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go... This is the curse at work, the curse that feeds on all life..."

Wilbur Mercer in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
whynotme

Post by whynotme »

Aloka wrote:
whynotme wrote:
What is your opinion on the sutta about 32 signs of great man (I don't remember the name exactly)? Some said it was a late development. I really curious about physical attributes of the Buddha, and it seems you don't want talk about your memory, could you talk about that sutta in general?
Hi whynotme,

With kind regards,

Aloka
Thanks, but I am not interested in that research

On one hand, I will accept any kind of truth, if it is the truth. OTOH, I don't like ill research where personal opinion is spoken as fact. Most of 32 marks is normal, nothing freak, and he dismisses them without proof by saying just that the Buddha had normal physique, that is an ill research by any standard. But it is good that he spoke out, so that I can know whether or not believing him on other issues.

Regards
Please stop following me
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

whynotme wrote:
Aloka wrote:
whynotme wrote:
Hi whynotme,

With kind regards,

Aloka
Thanks, but I am not interested in that research

On one hand, I will accept any kind of truth, if it is the truth. OTOH, I don't like ill research where personal opinion is spoken as fact. Most of 32 marks is normal, nothing freak, and he dismisses them without proof by saying just that the Buddha had normal physique, that is an ill research by any standard. But it is good that he spoke out, so that I can know whether or not believing him on other issues.

Regards
. . . I don't even know where to begin so I'm just going to use one those handy emoticons: :toilet:
TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

The word 'arrogance' springs to mind.... I can't think why..... :thinking:
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
Sokehi

Post by Sokehi »

I'm very fond of Ajahn Sujato. His Sutta Classes and Talks about Indian history I find always very inspiring :anjali:
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

Past Life Memories Lead Woman To Reunite With Her Children From Previous Lifetime http://www.afterlifetv.com/2013/09/19/p ... -lifetime/
"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
KumarS

Post by KumarS »

someguysomeguy wrote:It would be nice if there were some conclusive evidence, but I'm not surprised that there isn't. Rebirth is inherently hard to test -- how could it be done, really? Maybe some large-scale study carried out over generations and across multiple geographical regions, but who has the resources to conduct such a study?
Most Arhant claim to have recollection of past lives
If they could be more specific, as, for example, I was a carpenter in the life before.. then it would be easy to test.
Just go ahead and look for the historic traces for that carpenter.
There should be some record somewhere
rowboat wrote:I remember a previous life where I was a painter of religious art from Bhutan, attached to a monastery in Tibet. I was sent to the city of Lhasa and, to allay my fears of the supernatural, I was given an amulet which I ended up clutching so tightly on my journey that I wounded my hand. I met a woman, a singer, in a public square. We fell in love. We died together soon afterwards. (I have many details to share with a Tibetologist. Very likely chance for independent verification.)
Very interesting.
I think some independent verification is actually possible here.
For example, if you could share the name of the painter, the location of the monastery and the name of the woman, it may be possible to check about this.
After all, there may be some records of that monastery and of that painter, somewhere