HH Dalai Lama in Australia 1-10 Dec 2009

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
Ben

HH Dalai Lama in Australia 1-10 Dec 2009

Post by Ben »

Our Future: Who is Responsible?

Ten days of teachings and public talks

Tue 1st & Wed 2nd: Teaching - Awakening the Mind: Sydney

Thu 3rd: Mind & Its Potential Conference: Sydney

Our Future, Who is Responsible? Public Talk: Sydney

Sat 5th & Sun 6th: Visit to New Zealand: Auckland

Tue 8th: Visit to the University of Tasmania: Hobart

Our Earth, Who is Responsible? Public Talk: Hobart

Wed 9th: Parliament of World Religions: Melbourne

Thur 10th: Nobel Peace Prize Breakfast: Melbourne

World Peace, Who is Responsible? Public Talk: Melbourne

For more information: http://www.dalailamainaustralia.org/home.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Ngawang Drolma.

Re: HH Dalai Lama in Australia 1-10 Dec 2009

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

Hi all!

For those of you who live in Southern California, USA, and have any interest in HHDL, he's coming here in a few weeks.

I'm going to the teachings, and I'm taking my niece. But she's a 14-year old, confused, acting-out, somewhat undependable teenager.
So if you like HHDL and live here, please be on alert. I might have an extra ticket when we get closer to the events.

Best,
Drolma
genkaku

Post by genkaku »

Hi Drolma -- Take your niece, if you can.

I once took my daughter, at too young an age, perhaps, to see Ravi Shankar. I really didn't mind that she was bored deaf, dumb and blind. Something sinks in irrespective of opinion and judgment, I think. This goes for both the bored-stupid and those inclined towards fall-down adoration.

Just my take.
Ngawang Drolma.

Hi Genkaku,

I sure hope she pulls through. Thanks for the story about your daughter :)

But in case she flakes out, I'd want this ticket to go to use, for sure. She's been having a bad month (or couple of months) so I'm feeling a little wary about whether or not she'll keep it together to come with me. It would be extra good for her I think because the first part of the first day is dedicated to teaching on the Four Noble Truths. Hearing these truths about suffering from HHDL right now might be just right for her.

Best,
Drolma

:namaste:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Drolma, hi Adam

I actually spoke to the chaplain at our school about taking a group of kids to see His Holiness when he's in Hobart. (Its got to be auspicious even if its for the alliteration!). Our chaplain's a pretty switched-on guy and thought it was a good idea except that the older kids would have already left for their summer holidays. I'm planning on going and I'm quietly trying to talk my wife into going to His Holiness's session at the 'Mind and its Potential' conference she is attending in Sydney, despite the $500 cost for the session.

Drolma, I agree with Adam, take your niece. Its something that may have deeper impacts on her the older she gets.

metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Ngawang Drolma.

That's awesome that you're attending that, Ben. And taking the kids.

Is that $500 USD? For the two-day event I'm attending, only dana was mentioned, and I received my tickets without having given dana yet. I thought I'd bring some cash to the event. With a request for dana you usually just give whatever you can, and it's in a sealed envelope so it's very discreet. In any case, I'm happy for you! I hope your wife warms up to the idea and that it works out for the kids that are able to go.

Yes, I sure hope my niece makes it! :)
I agree about seeds being planted, too. And the impact may very well come to fruition over a period of time. I've had that experience.

Kindly,
Drolma

:anjali:
genkaku

Post by genkaku »

Ngawang Drolma wrote:Hi Genkaku,

I sure hope she pulls through. Thanks for the story about your daughter :)

But in case she flakes out, I'd want this ticket to go to use, for sure. She's been having a bad month (or couple of months) so I'm feeling a little wary about whether or not she'll keep it together to come with me. It would be extra good for her I think because the first part of the first day is dedicated to teaching on the Four Noble Truths. Hearing these truths about suffering from HHDL right now might be just right for her.

Best,
Drolma

:namaste:
Just ask her. Whether it's just seeing 'someone famous' or has some 'spiritual' meaning, maybe she'll bite. And maybe not. Never mind the overlays, whether hers or yours ... just ask.

Hoping things smooth out a bit for her.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Hi Drolma,

I may know of someone who could use it if you contact me.

Kind wishes,

Dazzle
Ngawang Drolma.

Dazzlebling wrote:Hi Drolma,

I may know of someone who could use it if you contact me.

Kind wishes,

Dazzle
Perfect. Of course you'll know the status :mrgreen:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Drolma

Its $AUD500 which is around $US400. And that is for the session/s His Holiness is giving in Sydney which forms part of the conference program.

The session I am attending in Hobart is the public lecture titled 'Our Earth: Who is Responsible', and that ranges in price from $25 to $70 per seat depending on where you want to sit. Its a secular topic as a public talk. I haven't investigated his teachings because they're in Sydney and Melbourne. I attended one of His Holinesses teaching events in Melbourne a few years ago which was great but this time around, I'm more interested in seeing him give a lecture to a non-Buddhist audience on climate change and social responsibility.
Kind regards

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Ngawang Drolma.

Ben wrote:Hi Drolma

Its $AUD500 which is around $US400. And that is for the session/s His Holiness is giving in Sydney which forms part of the conference program.

The session I am attending in Hobart is the public lecture titled 'Our Earth: Who is Responsible', and that ranges in price from $25 to $70 per seat depending on where you want to sit. Its a secular topic as a public talk. I haven't investigated his teachings because they're in Sydney and Melbourne. I attended one of His Holinesses teaching events in Melbourne a few years ago which was great but this time around, I'm more interested in seeing him give a lecture to a non-Buddhist audience on climate change and social responsibility.
Kind regards

Ben
Hi Ben,

I want to be sure I don't sound negative because I love HHDL as much as a person could love someone she hasn't even met. I've read some of his books though and listened to his teachings. And in most TB traditions, most of the high lamas have some sort of samaya with him, which creates an indirect connection for us. So I'm trying to be really cautious with my words here, because I'm a supporter of his. I was just a little startled when I read your post that mentioned the price. I'm so glad that we're only offered the opportunity to give dana at my upcoming event because I'm so broke right now. I would have had trouble coming up with funds to buy a ticket. I guess I'm even more fortunate than I realized!!!

But $25-$75 USD for a seat isn't too bad. Thanks for clarifying :)

The lecture on personal responsibility for the Earth sounds very interesting. That's something that I admire a lot about him; he's so versatile. For example, one time I know he gave a lecture to students on physics. He's made sure to be highly educated and well-versed in many issues that pertain to the everyday person as well as the international arena. I remember reading in a biography somewhere (sorry, I have no reference) that when he was very young, his guru discouraged his interests in mathematics and secular education but HHDL insisted. He said he would need to know about those sorts of things.

Best,
Drolma
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Regarding the high costs at some of the planned venues for HHDL in different countries - that's controlled by the organisers in advance and nothing to do with HHDL himself. However the costs of his travel and air fares, visas, hosting, accomodation etc all have to come from somewhere. He also will certainly have at least one attendant monk travelling with him - then perhaps there will be bodyguards because of the possibility of ongoing death threats in connection with other matters, and so forth, and of course he's an exiled head of state too. If costs seem very high then perhaps its worthwhile contacting the organisers for more details about where the money goes.

On a lesser scale, when TB teachers come over here from wherever they live abroad, their fares and travel expenses have to come from somewhere and centres are funded entirely by donations . If its a lineage head, then again, there will be at least one attendant travelling with them. Additionally, if a larger venue is required, then the cost of hiring that also has to be covered as well as the other considerations to be made. So unfortunately it is often impossible to provide free teachings.

:anjali:
Last edited by Aloka on Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi all
I don't mind paying the $70 for A Reserve tickets. I think its worth it.
I also think that the $500 for the session in the psychology conference will be worth it because it provides a dimension to psychology and to psychologists that isn't there in the mainstream discipline.
Kind regards

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Ngawang Drolma.

Thanks Dazz and Ben. I hope I didn't sound like I was being critical, because that's not how I feel or think of it.
And yes, the costs are very high. I know that I hosted some traveling monks/lamas in my home, and they relied entirely upon people's generosity. In the case of HHDL certainly the costs are even higher for him to travel and teach.

Best,
Drolma
Ngawang Drolma.

Hi all,

I've thought this over, and I regret my remarks in this thread. In retrospect it would have been better to PM Ben with my questions.

More than anything, I was amazed at my good fortune. And this keeps happening, I keep getting these opportunities despite being disabled with essentially no way to generate income, or certainly extra money for teachings. And yet I receive wangs, empowerments, teachings, retreats, etc.

I can only figure I must have been a decent person last life, to continue to have opportunities to be close to dharma like this. But it's sort of improper how I was musing about this aloud, especially about HHDL.

If the admins could please remove all my comments from this thread, including this one, I'd appreciate it! :)

Thanks,
Laura