Was 9/11 an inside job?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Was 9/11 an inside job?

Postby Individual » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:21 am

Right now, I'm watching a 2-hour documentary on this, on National Geographic, with a friend. He believes 9/11 conspiracy theories. I don't.

The documentary pretends to be neutral, but the fact is that the evidence opposes the conspiracy theory unless you reject all official sources of information and engage in wild speculation about anecdotal or non-official sources of information.

Because most Buddhists are left wing, statistically at least one person here likely believes in this sort of stuff... What do you all think?
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Re: Was 9/11 an inside job?

Postby Ngawang Drolma. » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:54 am

Individual wrote:Right now, I'm watching a 2-hour documentary on this, on National Geographic, with a friend. He believes 9/11 conspiracy theories. I don't.

The documentary pretends to be neutral, but the fact is that the evidence opposes the conspiracy theory unless you reject all official sources of information and engage in wild speculation about anecdotal or non-official sources of information.

Because most Buddhists are left wing, statistically at least one person here likely believes in this sort of stuff... What do you all think?

I DVRed the same show, will comment after I watch it :)

:anjali:
Ngawang Drolma.

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:53 am

Sometimes a guy just needs a tinfiol hat to get by in this world.
Attachments
TinfoilHat[1].jpg
TinfoilHat[1].jpg (40.04 KiB) Viewed 1057 times
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby Aloka » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:31 am

deleted by me.
Last edited by Aloka on Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Aloka

Postby Guy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:33 am

Hello All,

Unfortunately, whatever the truth is and whatever the evidence really points to, if you believe in any "conspiracy theories" you tend to get ridiculed by the majority. Mainstream media especially indulges in and encourages this kind of ridicule. I don't want to be labeled a conspiracy theorist because of all the stigma that goes along with it. However, from what I have seen, there are lots of holes in the official story which politicians and the mainstream media have force fed the general public in the Western world.

I don't really want to get into a debate, there are plenty of people better informed than I am to do that, but I would warn against the suggestion that anyone who doesn't want to go along with the official story is wearing a tinfoil hat.

With Metta,

Guy
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
Guy

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:45 am

This a decent look at the conspiracy theory idea:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_theory

And here is a listing, albeit partial of conspiracy theories:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... y_theories
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Postby Ben » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:08 am

Its interesting.
Last night on '4 Corners' (the most respected current affairs program in Aus) was a special report on the London '7/7' bombings from a few years ago in particular the distribution and authorship of an underground DVD 'documentary' challenging the official account. It was particularly interesting as it explored the conspiracy claims made by the author of "7/7 ripple effect'.

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/content/ ... 668927.htm

Its a very interesting documentary for a number of different reasons, but for me, it was an interesting to delve into the phenomenon of the conspiracy theory.
Check it out if you can. Originally produced and broadcast by the BBC.

Trailer:
http://video.aol.co.uk/video-detail/con ... 2811417407
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby christopher::: » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:03 am

I'm doubtful most of the time when theories suggest an "inside job" but do think that throughout history there have been times when leaders looked the other way or arranged for those in defensive positions to "stand down." Why did Lincoln's guard walk away right before his assassin arrived? Why weren't all the windows and roofs in Dallas checked and guarded as JFK drove by, and why was he allowed to ride with the top down, etc..?

I wouldn't be surprised in some folks somewhere, in positions of power, knew something about the plans of Al Qaida and looked the other way... but I would doubt that the 9/11 was "engineered" by anyone, on the inside....
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
christopher:::

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:19 am

Greetings,

Slightly off-topic...

It looks like it's nearly the 8 year anniversary. It's good to see that collectively, the U.S.A. seems to be healing.

Today's episode of Simpsons was the episode where Homer and family go to New York to retrieve his car... rather surreal seeing the Twin Towers play a prominent role in the episode.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:27 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Slightly off-topic...

It looks like it's nearly the 8 year anniversary. It's good to see that collectively, the U.S.A. seems to be healing.

Maybe not so much. There is a sizable segment that seems to be having a serious problem with having a black man as president - a good hunk of the Republican Party. They want him to fail. Then there are the "birthers" - those racist clowns who think Obama was was born in Kenya, which is a way of saying - as said about blacks in general - he is not one of us. And so it goes.
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:31 am

Greetings Tilt,

Sure, but they'd be doing this regardless of 9/11 wouldn't they? Wouldn't a more plausible explanation be because he's (half) black, and the racists can't bear to have a black president?

My healing comment was specific to 9/11...

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby genkaku » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:47 am

I dislike conspiracy theories, but I also dislike shutting out well-argued possibilities that use evidence as a foundation.

Here is a pretty good documentary (it's in three parts) on the 9/11 tragedy.

http://www.911weknow.com/911-mysteries-english
genkaku

Postby Ben » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:55 pm

THanks Adam
I'll be sure to check that one out.

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Ben
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:58 pm

retrofuturist wrote:Today's episode of Simpsons was the episode where Homer and family go to New York to retrieve his car... rather surreal seeing the Twin Towers play a prominent role in the episode.

I was watching that one too with my kids earlier this evening.
Everytime Homer did something stupid, my kids would call out..that's you dad!
And sometimes, quietly to myself, I was agreeing with them!
Cheers

Ben

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Postby imagemarie » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:20 pm

some folks somewhere, in positions of power, knew something about the plans of Al Qaida and looked the other way

Isn't this the modus of many politicians, and why they can be so very frightening, and so unloveable? They really don't seem to give a toss sometimes.
Witness Guantanamo, Abu Ghraib ..dodgy dossiers to justify war, "extraordinary rendition".. you don't really need to look for "conspiracy theories".

The bottom line is.. "Who's interests are being served here?"

:anjali:
imagemarie

Postby Mawkish1983 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:38 pm

I LOVE conspiracy theories! I won't say which I dismiss and which I feel may have some merit because you never know who is watching...............
Mawkish1983

Postby Tex » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:59 pm

The magazine Popular Mechanics debunked many of the common myths quite easily a few years ago.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol ... tml?page=1

I have yet to see any conspiracy theory regarding 9/11 that even made me raise an eyebrow.

I'm more disturbed by the number of people that seem to want the United States to have been behind it than any of the crackpot stories they've cooked up.
"The serene and peaceful mind is the true epitome of human achievement."-- Ajahn Chah, Living Dhamma

"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi
Tex

Postby kc2dpt » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:03 am

Individual wrote:What do you all think?

I think it is a disrespectful topic for idle chatter.
Then again, I'm from New York City.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
kc2dpt

Postby Guy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:35 am

Hi Peter,

Whatever you want to believe, that's your choice. I agree with you that such topics are not conducive towards the goal of Liberation. There will always be the possibility for things such as mass murder and destruction in Samsara regardless of who is orchestrating these activities. Let's work instead on the greed, hatred and delusion in our own minds which are the same poisons in other people's minds which lead them to commit such terrible acts.

With Metta,

Guy
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
Guy

Postby Lazy_eye » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:14 am

Guy wrote:I don't think simply having news reporters and politicians saying "terrorists did it" and showing some passport photos (which supposedly were recovered from the wreckage unscathed) should be taken as unquestionable truth.

Well, yes, but terrorists also said that terrorists did it. They were pretty eager to take the "credit".
Lazy_eye

Next

Return to Lounge