Was 9/11 an inside job?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Individual

Was 9/11 an inside job?

Post by Individual »

Right now, I'm watching a 2-hour documentary on this, on National Geographic, with a friend. He believes 9/11 conspiracy theories. I don't.

The documentary pretends to be neutral, but the fact is that the evidence opposes the conspiracy theory unless you reject all official sources of information and engage in wild speculation about anecdotal or non-official sources of information.

Because most Buddhists are left wing, statistically at least one person here likely believes in this sort of stuff... What do you all think?
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Ngawang Drolma.

Re: Was 9/11 an inside job?

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

Individual wrote:Right now, I'm watching a 2-hour documentary on this, on National Geographic, with a friend. He believes 9/11 conspiracy theories. I don't.

The documentary pretends to be neutral, but the fact is that the evidence opposes the conspiracy theory unless you reject all official sources of information and engage in wild speculation about anecdotal or non-official sources of information.

Because most Buddhists are left wing, statistically at least one person here likely believes in this sort of stuff... What do you all think?
I DVRed the same show, will comment after I watch it :)

:anjali:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Sometimes a guy just needs a tinfiol hat to get by in this world.
Attachments
TinfoilHat[1].jpg
TinfoilHat[1].jpg (39.89 KiB) Viewed 3872 times
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

deleted by me.
Last edited by Aloka on Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Hello All,

Unfortunately, whatever the truth is and whatever the evidence really points to, if you believe in any "conspiracy theories" you tend to get ridiculed by the majority. Mainstream media especially indulges in and encourages this kind of ridicule. I don't want to be labeled a conspiracy theorist because of all the stigma that goes along with it. However, from what I have seen, there are lots of holes in the official story which politicians and the mainstream media have force fed the general public in the Western world.

I don't really want to get into a debate, there are plenty of people better informed than I am to do that, but I would warn against the suggestion that anyone who doesn't want to go along with the official story is wearing a tinfoil hat.

With Metta,

Guy
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

This a decent look at the conspiracy theory idea:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_theory" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And here is a listing, albeit partial of conspiracy theories:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... y_theories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ben

Post by Ben »

Its interesting.
Last night on '4 Corners' (the most respected current affairs program in Aus) was a special report on the London '7/7' bombings from a few years ago in particular the distribution and authorship of an underground DVD 'documentary' challenging the official account. It was particularly interesting as it explored the conspiracy claims made by the author of "7/7 ripple effect'.

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/content/ ... 668927.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its a very interesting documentary for a number of different reasons, but for me, it was an interesting to delve into the phenomenon of the conspiracy theory.
Check it out if you can. Originally produced and broadcast by the BBC.

Trailer:
http://video.aol.co.uk/video-detail/con ... 2811417407" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

I'm doubtful most of the time when theories suggest an "inside job" but do think that throughout history there have been times when leaders looked the other way or arranged for those in defensive positions to "stand down." Why did Lincoln's guard walk away right before his assassin arrived? Why weren't all the windows and roofs in Dallas checked and guarded as JFK drove by, and why was he allowed to ride with the top down, etc..?

I wouldn't be surprised in some folks somewhere, in positions of power, knew something about the plans of Al Qaida and looked the other way... but I would doubt that the 9/11 was "engineered" by anyone, on the inside....
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Slightly off-topic...

It looks like it's nearly the 8 year anniversary. It's good to see that collectively, the U.S.A. seems to be healing.

Today's episode of Simpsons was the episode where Homer and family go to New York to retrieve his car... rather surreal seeing the Twin Towers play a prominent role in the episode.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Slightly off-topic...

It looks like it's nearly the 8 year anniversary. It's good to see that collectively, the U.S.A. seems to be healing.
Maybe not so much. There is a sizable segment that seems to be having a serious problem with having a black man as president - a good hunk of the Republican Party. They want him to fail. Then there are the "birthers" - those racist clowns who think Obama was was born in Kenya, which is a way of saying - as said about blacks in general - he is not one of us. And so it goes.

retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Tilt,

Sure, but they'd be doing this regardless of 9/11 wouldn't they? Wouldn't a more plausible explanation be because he's (half) black, and the racists can't bear to have a black president?

My healing comment was specific to 9/11...

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
genkaku

Post by genkaku »

I dislike conspiracy theories, but I also dislike shutting out well-argued possibilities that use evidence as a foundation.

Here is a pretty good documentary (it's in three parts) on the 9/11 tragedy.

http://www.911weknow.com/911-mysteries-english
Ben

Post by Ben »

THanks Adam
I'll be sure to check that one out.

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Ben

Post by Ben »

retrofuturist wrote:Today's episode of Simpsons was the episode where Homer and family go to New York to retrieve his car... rather surreal seeing the Twin Towers play a prominent role in the episode.
I was watching that one too with my kids earlier this evening.
Everytime Homer did something stupid, my kids would call out..that's you dad!
And sometimes, quietly to myself, I was agreeing with them!
Cheers

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

imagemarie

Post by imagemarie »

some folks somewhere, in positions of power, knew something about the plans of Al Qaida and looked the other way

Isn't this the modus of many politicians, and why they can be so very frightening, and so unloveable? They really don't seem to give a toss sometimes.
Witness Guantanamo, Abu Ghraib ..dodgy dossiers to justify war, "extraordinary rendition".. you don't really need to look for "conspiracy theories".

The bottom line is.. "Who's interests are being served here?"

:anjali: