daily short meditations vs weekly long sessions

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
martinfrank
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Re: daily short meditations vs weekly long sessions

Postby martinfrank » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:24 pm

Daily vs weekly... Nobody ever meditated tomorrow!

The rotary engine of Buddhist progress is sila-samadhi-pañña or morality-meditation-wisdom. Meditation without morality is an uphill battle. Morality is much easier acquired with the help of meditation. Wisdom grows best from morality and meditation. If we cannot sit and meditate, we can work on morality and understanding.

Don't we generally overrate meditation and underrate morality? And wouldn't understanding Dependent Origination give meditation a power boost?
The Noble Eightfold Path: Proposed to all, imposed on none.

Mkoll
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Postby Mkoll » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:25 pm

martinfrank wrote:Don't we generally overrate meditation and underrate morality?

That seems to be a trend, especially in meditation practices or traditions where morality may have little emphasis at all. And you're right, virtue is necessary for concentration.
Peace,
James

Sokehi

Postby Sokehi » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:17 pm

manas wrote:Hi mike

I find that the mind responds well to being calmed daily. It kind of gets used to it, and once it becomes a habit, it seems to 'ask' for it even, in that if you miss a session, for the rest of that day you feel like something is 'missing', your mind actually reminds you that you have not meditated as yet that day! That's been my experience, anyway.

:anjali:

I share the same experience and it's wonderfull ... so the practice starts looking after you when you look after the practice :anjali:
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr

no mike
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Postby no mike » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:38 pm

martinfrank wrote:Daily vs weekly... Nobody ever meditated tomorrow!

The rotary engine of Buddhist progress is sila-samadhi-pañña or morality-meditation-wisdom. Meditation without morality is an uphill battle. Morality is much easier acquired with the help of meditation. Wisdom grows best from morality and meditation. If we cannot sit and meditate, we can work on morality and understanding.

Don't we generally overrate meditation and underrate morality? And wouldn't understanding Dependent Origination give meditation a power boost?

I agree that morality and meditation work together, neither to be underrated:

"We have to be strong in fighting off defilements, cravings, and illusions of every sort. We have to test our strength against them and bring them under our power. If we can bring them under our power, we can ride on their backs. If we can't, they'll have to ride on our backs, making us do their work, pulling us around by the nose, making us want, wearing us out in all sorts of ways." (Breath Meditation Condensed by Upasika Kee Nanayon translated from the Thai by Thanissaro Bhikkhu, http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai ... ensed.html)

More from Kee/Thanissaro (this quote from Pure and Simple):

"§ When we practice we're like diamond cutters. Our diamond — the mind — is embedded in dense, dark defilements. We have to use mindfulness and discernment — or virtue, concentration, and discernment — as our cutting tools to make the mind pure in all its thoughts, words, and deeds. Then we train the mind to grow still and to contemplate so as to give rise to clear knowledge all the way to the point where you meet with what's totally pure and free from defilements and mental fermentations: our "Miss Emptiness" who is so extremely beautiful, free from change, whom the King of Death can't see." (http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai ... imple.html)

:heart:

seeker242

Postby seeker242 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:05 pm

If I had to choose, I would choose daily, most certainly. :anjali:

purple planet

Postby purple planet » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:16 pm

except for saying that it does seem to me (not sure at all) that its best to go for daily (and ideally daily plus stronger effort on weekends)

i would like to ask i really like the starting a fire idiom

but something bothers me : if i would like to start a fire and i would have to choose i would rather rub very fast for a short time than long and weak - same with the kettle example i would think its better to put full heat for 2 minutes than weak heat for 2 hours

- can someone solve this mystery to me - cause while i like this examples a lot - i found it flawed ( but i am no expert on starting fires or boiling water so maybe i am wrong here )

so can someone explain to me why this examples are more convincing to put the heat on low for a long time than to put strong heat for a short time ?

and to make it clear im not asking about the dhamma aspect but clearly about the "how it works in real life" aspect
Please send merit to my dog named Mika who has passed away - thanks in advance

Mkoll

Postby Mkoll » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:47 pm

purple planet wrote:except for saying that it does seem to me (not sure at all) that its best to go for daily (and ideally daily plus stronger effort on weekends)

i would like to ask i really like the starting a fire idiom

but something bothers me : if i would like to start a fire and i would have to choose i would rather rub very fast for a short time than long and weak - same with the kettle example i would think its better to put full heat for 2 minutes than weak heat for 2 hours

- can someone solve this mystery to me - cause while i like this examples a lot - i found it flawed ( but i am no expert on starting fires or boiling water so maybe i am wrong here )

so can someone explain to me why this examples are more convincing to put the heat on low for a long time than to put strong heat for a short time ?

and to make it clear im not asking about the dhamma aspect but clearly about the "how it works in real life" aspect

Similes, metaphors, and analogies are useful tools for eliciting understanding. However, like any tool, they are limited in their use. One can only take a metaphor so far before it falls apart and one goes beyond the point the metaphor is trying to make. One just has to use one's discernment to figure out how far one can go with a metaphor until it stops being useful and starts being a hindrance.
Peace,
James

purple planet

Postby purple planet » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:51 pm

true i understand what your saying

but this metaphor seems to be falling apart to soon - at least for myself
Please send merit to my dog named Mika who has passed away - thanks in advance

Return to “Theravada Meditation”