need help with emptiness

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
enitzirk

need help with emptiness

Post by enitzirk »

Hi,
During my last meditation session i got this sudden understanding about emptiness, the whole universe being one, the non existance of I....it was all great while i was meditating, but then when i actually finished i freaked out a little and felt myself really resisting what i just discovered....because it feels like i can't look at the world the way i did before....
when i look at my boyfriend i just think of him as a combination of different thoughts emotions etc and it disturbs me a litte, i start thinking who am I and who is he? ....has anyone else had this happen to them? i am being aware of the fear etc..but i find it so hard to comprehend this out of a meditative state!! right now i'm assuming patience and mindfulness will make more sense of it over time, but i am very confused
could anyone help me out with this? Thanks a lot!
Ben

Re: need help with emptiness

Post by Ben »

Hi
It would help to know what the meditation technique is, who's guidance you've been practicing under and how long you've been practicing this particular technique.
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
enitzirk

Post by enitzirk »

Ben wrote:Hi
It would help to know what the meditation technique is, who's guidance you've been practicing under and how long you've been practicing this particular technique.
Kind regards

Ben
I've only meditated for half a year, and this was during insight meditation. i was on my own when i did this, i will ask my teacher for advice but would like to hear several opinions about this. I do think what i experienced was too advanced for me to accept, right now i'm just being mindful of the confusion ..but feel like i need some advice.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi
When you say 'insight meditation', what do you actually mean?
What is the actual technique and who is your teacher?
This will help you as advice will be specific to what you are actually doing.
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

Hi Enitzirk,

Regarding Emptiness...

There is the possibility that you have come into intimate contact with the conditionality of experience. Here are a few things which I take for granted regarding such realization.
It will tend away from confusion.

It will tend toward a light heart and free spirit

It will tend to bring clarity and ease when it comes to deciding what is appropriate action.

It will tend toward compassion and love for the conditional process which is sentient beings.

This is how I judge the efficacy and veracity of meditative experience. Then I try to let go of my ideas and strive onward in my practice.

I hope this helps.

Take care

Gabriel
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

Hi Kristine,

Ben's right that you ought to ask your teacher. Meanwhile, it might be helpful for you to remember that things are pretty much just like they were before. The fact that you look at things differently doesn't change your boyfriend. And think about this: The way you view the world is probably going to continue to change. You might see things differently again tomorrow.

Meanwhile, the world is all more or less just the same. Whatever you pour onto the earth, the soil soaks it up all the same. You might try to relax into this a little bit and engage any confusion, any change, with this same earth-like equanimity.

:smile:
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Hi enitzirk,

I guess whenever our world view is threatened we experience anxiety and unease. We hang on to the notion of a concrete "me" and a concrete "you" and when they don't appear so concrete, we feel afraid and confused, not knowing what to rely on anymore.

Of course this is OK!

I would concentrate on the tasks at hand. Neither suppressing the confusion and anxiety nor indulging in them. Just one step at a time, bringing the focus to what it s you are doing.

Most likely the old worldview will reassert itself. But perhaps it won't be so solid this time. Some cracks will show!

Keep on practicing!!!

_/|\_
_/|\_
smokey

Post by smokey »

enitzirk wrote:Hi,
During my last meditation session i got this sudden understanding about emptiness, the whole universe being one, the non existance of I....it was all great while i was meditating, but then when i actually finished i freaked out a little and felt myself really resisting what i just discovered....because it feels like i can't look at the world the way i did before....
when i look at my boyfriend i just think of him as a combination of different thoughts emotions etc and it disturbs me a litte, i start thinking who am I and who is he? ....has anyone else had this happen to them? i am being aware of the fear etc..but i find it so hard to comprehend this out of a meditative state!! right now i'm assuming patience and mindfulness will make more sense of it over time, but i am very confused
could anyone help me out with this? Thanks a lot!
It seems to me that you have some understanding of emptiness, if not complete realization of it, but it happened without you being ready for it and thus you are automatically and mechanically rejecting this view of reality that you became aware of. You were not ready for it probably because of a lack of equanimity and we all have automatic attachment to a view of reality that ego exists. What disturbs you is the attachment of a former reality view that you have had. That would be a logical conclusion. It seems to me that you have to practice a lot and develop a strong equanimity and then you will be able to accept this right reality view. When one is calm, that is nor hot nor cold, but neutral, with strong equanimity, nothing will disturb you. But I am no expert and do not rely upon my words. My advice: Seek out a very experienced teacher and consult with him/her.

with metta -smokey
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

first thing first - don't be afriad of what just happened- it is just ignorance being challenged- initially there is nibbida- revulsion- what you are experiencing- dont stop the practice because of this- just keep going- then the mind gets used to the truths- then this leads to acceptance and letting go. take it slowly but dont stop what ever you do! you have reached a very place in your samsaric journey- keep going.
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

Deleted for being too personal.
Last edited by Reductor on Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

I'd suggest when this happens to just note it, bring your attention back to your breath, and resume sitting. Nothing special about this flash of awareness...don't grab at it.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
Nibbida

Post by Nibbida »

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, etiam nunc justo urna vehicula, rhoncus nam non facilisis aliquet, mauris nulla nisl convallis per ut. Venenatis per, vitae dapibus nam pellentesque id pellentesque, tortor augue. Wisi neque lacus dolor et, bibendum leo, mattis quam quisque, curabitur aenean mollis semper diam nisl, maecenas neque non velit. Iaculis velit rutrum odio nibh, lectus et pellentesque arcu quam ac, sit velit tellus hendrerit a augue nisl, mollis ipsum, iaculis vestibulum orci dui mauris ante. Purus malesuada, ut sem, potenti wisi sit velit. Mi dignissim felis rhoncus mauris facilisis, urna consectetuer quisque aliquam curabitur. Suspendisse libero amet sed feugiat. Consequat amet elit consectetuer ut et pellentesque, duis imperdiet nostra sed vestibulum, quis adipiscing nulla ante mattis. At ut commodo, nec orci, metus praesent.

Cras id, tellus wisi quisque curabitur, erat augue lacus lectus pretium, lacus quam tellus vitae quam. Nullam lorem nunc, velit maecenas, vestibulum sed suspendisse eget sem, velit sed, sed libero id. Nec a et. Fermentum senectus consectetuer, faucibus est pharetra vel ac rhoncus nec, ultrices sed mauris perspiciatis odio, ut neque neque posuere. Ullamcorper odio nunc wisi posuere. Pede est vestibulum, eu nunc pharetra, id maecenas accumsan quam faucibus luctus, habitasse vel sagittis eu convallis, urna dolor. Ac dolor ac tellus libero quis lacinia, justo elit vel quis, vestibulum viverra pellentesque sit. Quis tortor ullamcorper amet magnis hymenaeos potenti, interdum mollis quam aliquam turpis nihil.